CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What does FORMAT mean?

My memory card is having issues and I want to format it. Will it delete anything? Will it fix it?
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    s and needles

often a format will fix the card. Sometimes the card is physically broken though and this will not fix it.

If you format the card, like if you format your PC's hard drive, you will have lost any data that is on it.

What problem are you having?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

If you format it on the phone it will delete the contents. I saw in another thread that you made on the discussion section that the card works on your PC. Save all the files on your PC, then format the card on your phone and see if the phone reads the memory card now. Then you can connect the card back to your PC and drag the files back onto it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

My bold will not read my card and it says there are errors on it and to sue pc software to fix it. When i put it in my computer it can display everything. What do i do?

If the Bold isn't formatting your card and won't read it then it's not a good card.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

How do you format it on the phone?

Options>memory>hit menu, select "format"

However if your phone doesn't even read the memory card you won't be able to format it. I'd take the memory card back and get a new one.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I transferred my files to my ocmputer and I formatted the card on my phone. Now my card isnt recognized by my computer. Now what?

Use the desktop manager to drag the files back.
    CrackBerry User

I am able to view files in my memory card but my PC doesn't detect the card, I tried formatting the card and did a battery pull, but it doesn't seem to work.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    s and needles

to format a disk means for an operating system to write a file system to the disk that the operating can use to store data.

What a format is doing is preparing a media card (for example) to be compatible with the operating system as many operating systems need this compatability to exist before it can be used.

The file system is a means for recording where data can be placed on the storage medium and to record where data is, so the operating system can call on the specific files when required.

When an operating system formats a media card, all the data on it will be lost as it will be written with a new file system.

Im not sure what file system is used on teh bold, but if you formatted the card in windows, the data will still be there, but the file system will not know about it. It will report the space that data is in as "empty" to be used for storing data.

when you copy data to teh card, the card will put the data in one of these "empty" spaces, ergo - overwriting the data.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by vivifiedd View Post
    I am able to view files in my memory card but my PC doesn't detect the card, I tried formatting the card and did a battery pull, but it doesn't seem to work.
    How are you attaching the card to the computer? Do you have mass storage enabled?
    CrackBerry Newbie

i tried to download everything to my pc and it said i had to format it to. so that isn't really working, anymore advice?