Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What can be done to increase signal strength?

Had the Bold for about a month now and everything on it rocks big time except for my signal strength. In my office, which by the way is known to kill cell signals, the only place I get service is in my window well. So that is where I have placed my charger and my phone sits there all day. Very annoying to respond to text messages as I have to reach into my window to send anything back. At home, there are a couple of places I lose service but for the most part it stays up fine. Is there anything I can do to increase my signal? I am running the Asian .282 OS. Is there another one with better service? I had Verizon before and didn't have any reception issues unless I went into the basement here at work. I am not going back to them because I hate that they kill GPS and don't have WiFi but I also want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to increase my Bold's AT&T signal.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,104 Global Posts

I don't think your OS has anything to do with your signal strength. Where are you from? It could be possible that you don't have enough AT&T towers in your area. Same thing happened to me when I had Sprint, had certain spots give me reception, and had non at home, until I had a service provider that did have towers to get me service at home.

So it could be that.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by siuc1996 View Post
    Had the Bold for about a month now and everything on it rocks big time except for my signal strength. In my office, which by the way is known to kill cell signals, the only place I get service is in my window well. So that is where I have placed my charger and my phone sits there all day. Very annoying to respond to text messages as I have to reach into my window to send anything back. At home, there are a couple of places I lose service but for the most part it stays up fine. Is there anything I can do to increase my signal? I am running the Asian .282 OS. Is there another one with better service? I had Verizon before and didn't have any reception issues unless I went into the basement here at work. I am not going back to them because I hate that they kill GPS and don't have WiFi but I also want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to increase my Bold's AT&T signal.
    In your situation, it's almost worth it to switch to T-Mobile and get a
    T-Mobile branded Blackberry so you can have access to UMA.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I live in a large city in northern Illinois that gets 3g service almost everywhere. UMA would be great but I really don't want to switch carriers again and have to pay more ETFs. How about the signal boosters that you see advertised? Do they work?

I live in a large city in northern Illinois that gets 3g service almost everywhere. UMA would be great but I really don't want to switch carriers again and have to pay more ETFs. How about the signal boosters that you see advertised? Do they work?
    I honestly don't know about the signal boosters.
    CrackBerry Master

Your 2 best solutions are;

1. Wear tin foil hat and gloves

2. Get closer to a cell tower

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedDot View Post

Ha. But you forgot one. Climb up on my window well and text away happily.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just installed a zBoost YX510 in my home and it made a pretty big difference. Probably overkill for your office though. I've not tried them, but for short-range amplification I've heard good things about Cell Ranger.
    Jason Litka | Utter Ramblings

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedDot View Post

Ah, you're full of crap, only number 1 really helps.
    Tronyx's Important & Popular Blackberry Links (This one is worth the visit, Kids)
    Real post....
    ive had the phone for 11 days now, upgraded os to .247, unbranded using a different vsm, and, worst of all, i have broken the warranty seal because i blacked the bold out...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

My brother had success with a zboost booster. I'm also looking for at&t's 3g femtocell coming out sooner rather than later.

CrackBerry Abuser

you can shut down 3g to see if it helps with your signal alot of time gsm can penetrate those walls better or just the oppisite you can switch off edge and go full 3g to see if that helps
    bigroy
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigroy View Post
    you can shut down 3g to see if it helps with your signal alot of time gsm can penetrate those walls better or just the oppisite you can switch off edge and go full 3g to see if that helps
    Where in the phone is the option to switch to only 3g I have not found one as of yet?
    CrackBerry Abuser

You can only do it with AT&T on .282 go to options-Mobile Network-and change network mode to 2g
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

I did switch to 2g and I'm actually getting service now in the parts of my house where I didn't before. Its only one or two bars but its better than nothing. I'll keep an eye on it and hope it also works at my office. Thanks for the tip.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

All lies. Keep your hand away from the back of the phone if you absolutely need signal. Also hold it away from your head if possible (speakerphone) or wired headset (or bluetooth) also take off the back cover and place the phone screen down. The antenna is rear facing, and is basically comprised of a sticker on the back.