Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Using Nexus One with Bold 9000

After a good 15 or so months, I just started cheating on my Bold 9000 with a Nexus One.

To be fair, my company purchased it for me so the decision was made simpler. After a few days, I must say I am really liking some of the features. Browsing the web is amazing - I find it much faster than when I had an iPhone. The Android OS and it multitasking make the experience much better than iPhone.

The real issue was email. Since I was on a BES I thought it would be difficult to make the switch. So far no complaints. ActiveSync works a lot better than I thought with immediate synchronization with desktop email. Gmail integration is obviously seamless.

Also the virtual keyboard is much faster and accurate than my experience with iPhone

I only miss BBM and am getting by the the native google talk function.

Google Voice > Visual voicemail on Bold. AMAZING and free voicemail transcription and a native app.

Anyway, havent tossed the Bold just yet but to be honest have been giving it serious consideration given the epic delay of OS 5.0 (i know you're tired of hearing about it but whatever) and the lame/slow browser.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    PM me

Any problems with the SMS? I have a friend with one and he's been having a lot of problems with the SMS feature not sending/receiving. I think that's a known issue though if I'm not mistaken.
    CrackBerry User

i feel bad too, my brother bought one. it's been calling my name since.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by strbanchor View Post
    Any problems with the SMS? I have a friend with one and he's been having a lot of problems with the SMS feature not sending/receiving. I think that's a known issue though if I'm not mistaken.
    so far no problems with the SMS. Only been a few days and i've sent about a dozen or so.

One thing I just realized which is a bit of a bug for business users is that the current version of activesync for nexus one doesnt support calendar sync. Only email and contacts. But motorola droid and eris both so - so its nexus one specific. Apparently its because motorola modded the software to allow for it. So right now I can sync calendars via google calendar which polls my outlook calendar ever X minutes (whatever I set it to). So for heavy BES calendar users that may be an issue until google or whoever fixes it.

I mean even iphone got around to full activesync. Sucks because i am finding that email and contact updates are quicker than what I used to experience on blackberry via BES.

For people who arent on a BES it may not be a deal breaker for them. So definitely could never fully substitute my bold until that gets fixed.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just got a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Z View Post
    After a good 15 or so months, I just started cheating on my Bold 9000 with a Nexus One.

To be fair, my company purchased it for me so the decision was made simpler. After a few days, I must say I am really liking some of the features. Browsing the web is amazing - I find it much faster than when I had an iPhone. The Android OS and it multitasking make the experience much better than iPhone.

The real issue was email. Since I was on a BES I thought it would be difficult to make the switch. So far no complaints. ActiveSync works a lot better than I thought with immediate synchronization with desktop email. Gmail integration is obviously seamless.

Also the virtual keyboard is much faster and accurate than my experience with iPhone

Google Voice > Visual voicemail on Bold. AMAZING and free voicemail transcription and a native app.

Anyway, havent tossed the Bold just yet but to be honest have been giving it serious consideration given the epic delay of OS 5.0 (i know you're tired of hearing about it but whatever) and the lame/slow browser.
    Interesting stuff. I also switched from my Bold, which my girl is using now (and loving it!), to an iPhone 3GS, now that OS 3.1 and Jailbreak have made possible what I was doing with the Bold. Push email/calendar/contacts all work great, although BlackBerry is still the best platform for email hands-down, and I also miss BBM. I use Exchange and sync everything through Gmail. I suspect you don't have to use Exchange on the Nexus One for Push using Gmail, is that right?

Can you please tell me in what sense you prefer the Nexus One over iPhone? I had never thought that I would be a candidate for typing on a screen exclusively, but now that Apple integrated it the way it did as of OS 3.1, I have never typed faster, or made fewer mistakes, ...ever! Multitasking also works seamlessly with Backgrounder, and my setup has yet to crash once.

(My apologies for what is, to a large degree, an off-topic post as far as BlackBerry is concerned, but this is a unique opportunity to find out about Google's Android, and the Nexus One with the bases for comparison here. Thank you for understanding.)[/END OT]
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Z View Post

Hey, How is the battery performance with Nexus One as compare to BlackBerry/iPhone.
    So you wann say that google's Nexus One is no#1 and BB and iPhone r in #2 and #3.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts

I like the Nexus One. Given the specs, this is a killer device. I wouldn't even think about getting the device because I fear that I would spend so much money on this and I wouldn't do anything differently. I have that fear with just about any other newly released device out there. I had that happen to me with the Iphone. I thought I was going to use all of the multimedia features and really get into the benefits of using a touchscreen device, web browser etc. But then I found myself using it in the same way as I used my BB. I only really used the messaging and productivity tools. During the day, I use the calendar, task list, address book, files, and GPS. At night , I primarily message, use Facebook, and make voice calls. I rarely use any of the multimedia. I think that I use the web browser to surf the same dive to six websites daily. What disappointed me was that the Iphone and a lot of the other devices didn't handle productivity nearly as well as the BB. They offer a lot of other things that are far more advanced than the BB but if I don't care about those things then it is just a waste. That's why I admire devices from afar. Until another device has productivity tools that are better than a BB I have to stick with it. I don't think that's going to happen because of don't think that a lot of manufacturers care too much about productivity anymore. Its more about the multimedia it seems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Wow DwayneWilliams, you hit the nail right on the head. I couldn't imagine life without my Bold, but if I were to break it down, I probably only do a dozen or so things consistently. Sometimes I want a more multimedia friendly device, but when I play with friends iPhone, Pre, Droid, I end up just doing the exact same things, going to the exact same websites. Bottom line, I don't think I would take advantage of all the new devices once the initial flash wore off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    I use Exchange and sync everything through Gmail. I suspect you don't have to use Exchange on the Nexus One for Push using Gmail, is that right?

Can you please tell me in what sense you prefer the Nexus One over iPhone?

Gmail is integrated seamlessly on the Nexus one since its native. I never had to sync contacts or calendar from gmail onto my bold so i cannot compare that experience. But in terms of email, the Gmail native client on the nexus is great. Much better than the gmail app available for Blackberry. User interface is improved, faster, full push and full sync with mailbox (two-way). I used to hate that when i deleted gmail from my desktop (logged into gmail), it wouldnt delete from my messages folder on my Bold (was one way). In the end, the biggest issues is the virtual keyboard vs. physical. I think this virtual keyboard is a vast improvement over my past experience with iPhone. Also Nexus has an indicator light (the home button strobes when you have a pending email, message, facebook notice, etc - whatever you set).

My main issue with iPhone was the inability to multitask and the lack of an indicator light. I never used Backgrounder so I cannot comment but Android's OS does a pretty good job managing apps in the background and using app memory. Launching apps is a much better experience than on the iPhone in terms of it being faster and I have yet to have one shut down on me unexpectedly, but again its only been 4-5 days so we'll see. Other that that I think the browser is faster than safari (on wifi so network should not be an issue).

BBM is something i've become addicted to and until all my friends hope on google talk, it will be tough to make a complete switch.

But as the poster above said, multimedia is a major selling point for Nexus whereas I still dont think it can fully compete with the robustness of Blackberry's email client. The syncing has worked fine, and maybe its just something I need to get used to since I've used a blackberry for work for almost 10 years now.

More to come as i find other gripes with the nexus.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Oh, one other MAJOR difference between Nexus and iPhone is obviously the number of apps. But I only use a handful of apps and launchers on my bold so I've never been an app guy but I found myself playign with a number of useless games and other apps on iPhone that after 2 days I probably deleted. Not sure if developers will make as many available for Android. We'll see.