CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default is there a final solution for the trackball?

Hi
    I have been struggling with the track ball

Please don't tell me it's a dirt or lint in there cuz I cleaned it with a compressed air + I disassembled my bb 9000 several times and took out the trackball and cleaned it

I even changed it now but I'm still having problems with it

And it's not just one side if the trackball some times it works just fine and sometimes I can't use certain direction and sometimes it doesn't work at all then it gets back to work!!

I'm really sick of it is there a final good solution ?
    Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Retired Mod

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts

Sometimes is just a faulty trackball. You may want to disassemble it and put a new one in. You can find videos for that on Youtube or cnn.cn. I would say warranty exchange if its still under warranty but since I see your carrier is T-Mo, it doesnt seem to be a option for you.
    CrackBerry User

You sure the trackball is ok. I only ask because one time I bought a replacement and the ball was slightly smaller than the original which caused it not too work properly at all.

However, if you are sure that is not the case sounds like you have a faulty sensor on the board. Not much you can do to that, but maybe you can clean it. I don't know what you would clean it with though to be honest.
    Open it up again and take a look at the four corners where the magnets from the trackball housing connect and see if maybe it is dirty.

Hopefully it helps.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts

It could be the housing mechanism is damaged or faulty? Meaning it has trouble reading when the ball is moved or to what side? Try purchasing a new trackball or housing assembly which are pretty cheap and see if that fixes the problem.

My trackball is now yellow and often times I've used it with greasy hands and it gets dirty and it's been over a year and a half and i haven't had a single problem with my trackball yet. I would also check truesupplier.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

How do you carry your BB? I only have intermittent trackball sticking when I put my BB in a coat pocket. When I use an approved carry case, no sticking.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,101 Global Posts

definitely the housing mechanism is ruined. try fixing it or you will need a replacement phone if it doesn't work.
    {"for better for worse,for richer for poorer,in sickness and in health,cherish,and to obey,trust u and respect u,love you faithfully good times and bad times,care and protect u,comfort and encourage,stay with for all eternity"}
    _american in the usa_
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    29012B47

Trackball is a warrenty issue. Just take it in if u have warrenty. U will get a new handset

CrackBerry Addict

"Final solution"? You might want to choose your words more carefully.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    PIN
    25F9925C

If you're that unhappy with it, trade up to a 9700 or just go and get an iphone
    CrackBerry Master

The final solution is to trade your tball BB in for a tpad BB

CrackBerry Abuser

There is no final solution. If its not the trackball its the sensor, the board and so on. They don't get damaged all at once.
    "Wealth is like water; you can channel it or you can drink it, but you cant keep it in forever"
    "In a world of conservatism, I conserve my freedom"
    "In Gaia, we believe"

CLEAN WATER SOLUTIONS

T.Z.M
    CrackBerry Abuser

There is no final solution. If its not the trackball its the sensor, the board, dirt or so on. They don't happen all at once. My best bet is that you need to replace the trackball assembly, since the main issue is most likely caused by the magnetic rollers, it could be that they are damaged or have dirt stuck where its difficult to remove. It is unlikely that the sensors are damaged because if they were it wouldn't work at all.

Check this link out Trackball Cleaning and Disassembly w/ PICTURES - PinStack.com
    Last edited by bushako; 03-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
    "Wealth is like water; you can channel it or you can drink it, but you cant keep it in forever"
    "In a world of conservatism, I conserve my freedom"
    "In Gaia, we believe"

CLEAN WATER SOLUTIONS

T.Z.M
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

zyk... no, I'd better not.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Android Andy.

The final solution is get a BB with a trackpad.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28419B47

Quote Originally Posted by triplecaution View Post
    If you're that unhappy with it, trade up to a 9700 or just go and get an iphone
    iPhone the final solution? charming.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸

Like some say the corners are not being read correctly also you have to male sure the pins are gripping the ball. The ball isn't a problem the ball doesn't wear down like a tire does its the pins that grip the ball has worn out or the base where the magnets spins is blocked with grime its very dark there use a micro fiber cloth with a tooth pick and wipe off the dirt there no need to use any liquids. Mine had this problem 2 days ago. Also the pins use a old tooth brush and brush the ribs across the pins away from the magnets. That should bring you back up to speed.

CrackBerry Newbie

Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I've also encountered a recurring issue with the trackball.

Problem : Trackball has been increasingly acting out in recent months. As it happened for the OP, I used to have to give the ball a few 10’s spins before getting any movement from it. Since my most recent try at a fix, the trackball has died*.

Fixes: Tried washing with Qtip and alcohol. Tried opening the BB, demounting the trackball and washing the sensor. Tried replacing the trackball.

Notes: As I tried to change the trackball a second time to put the original back in, I noticed the whole trackball housing (metal cover, trackball, dark grey housing) was actually lifting up: all 20ish red glue covered welding where lifting up as well! I believe this is the main problem, and it might be the OP’s actual problem as well. *As stated before, the trackball is died unless I apply extreme pressure around it with one hand and manipulate it with the other. I suspect a shock most have damage the welding.

I have no doubt it’ll need to be sent in, but it’s no longer under warranty and I wonder if : 1. is it something that can be fixed? 2. Is it going to cost me more in repairs then the price of a new unit?

Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

hi there......i have my bold for almost 15months now.....and just yesterday my trackball decided to stop scrolling down.....but the funny thing is that for my carrier....once you have your phone for more than 1 year....your contract is up.....so i had no other choice but to replace my track ball.....and its working properly so far.....1day and counting