Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default AT&T Bold Now Has Cingular Label?

Hi,

My Bold has always had AT&T on the today screen as the carrier...but now it says Cingular instead. Is this normal?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Lol.

No.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts

wow, I don't think so. Mine says att.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't know if it is normal or not, but it happens to my Bold as well after a reboot. Because I am unsure of the consequence of this, I always reboot again. Sometimes it will take more than one reboot, but it will always, eventually, will revert to showing AT&T as the carrier.

You might give AT&T a call and ask the question... of course, they are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get!

C
    Don't mess with Dragons. They like things crispy, with ketchup!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,449 Global Posts
    PIN
    head Gunpowder

It's not normal, but nothing to be worried about either since AT&T bought out Cingular several years ago.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Actually Cingular bought out At&t and kept the name lol
    At&t has been having some network issues of late, which they seem to take their sweet $!$ time to address, which is why I bailed.

ANYWAY to the op, I think you found a ghost in the machine, It'll go back to At&t eventually
    Last edited by Zolutar; 12-15-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,449 Global Posts
    PIN
    head Gunpowder

Oops, I did get it backwards, didn't I? Cingular bought out AT&T Wireless and rebranded themselves "The New AT&T" until earlier this year they dropped "The New".

Either way, it really doesn't matter which carrier it shows, it's not like you're going to incur roaming charges or anything like that since they are essentially the same carrier. For quite a while after the rebranding I still had "Cingular" as the carrier on my phones. Haven't seen since I got my Bold though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFecks View Post
    Oops, I did get it backwards, didn't I? Cingular bought out AT&T Wireless and rebranded themselves "The New AT&T" until earlier this year they dropped "The New".

Either way, it really doesn't matter which carrier it shows, it's not like you're going to incur roaming charges or anything like that since they are essentially the same carrier. For quite a while after the rebranding I still had "Cingular" as the carrier on my phones. Haven't seen since I got my Bold though.
    hehe, i had to look it up myself, its a twisted mess that one on who bought who. It kinda actually looks like in the big picture that At&t bought itself lol.

Its strange too where in my travels I had At&t, AT&T, at&t roaming(triangle), and At&t roaming(triangle) show up on my phone at one time or another. All being the same network, though in Kennewick, wa a short while ago, the data on the at&t(triangle) was broken but the preferred connection, and had to manually connect to the At&t tower to get my email. It was extremely annoying.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2097A795

Mine would start out as Cingular on my unlocked Pearl when I still had a Cingular SIM card, but a switch to an AT&T 3G card solved that problem. Now on my Bold there is one area close to where I live that still makes it say Cingular. I'm guessing the blackberry pulls the service provider banner from the tower you're connected to, so if the tower thinks its a Cingular tower still than anyone with a smart phone should see Cingular. Regular phones, like motorola RAZR's and such, you can make them say anything you wish for the carrier banner, if your on Verizon it can say AT&T if you so choose. But like they said, its nothing to worry about.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    no more :(

Quote Originally Posted by sneakytiki64 View Post
    Mine would start out as Cingular on my unlocked Pearl when I still had a Cingular SIM card, but a switch to an AT&T 3G card solved that problem. Now on my Bold there is one area close to where I live that still makes it say Cingular. I'm guessing the blackberry pulls the service provider banner from the tower you're connected to, so if the tower thinks its a Cingular tower still than anyone with a smart phone should see Cingular. Regular phones, like motorola RAZR's and such, you can make them say anything you wish for the carrier banner, if your on Verizon it can say AT&T if you so choose. But like they said, its nothing to worry about.
    I think my bold blocks that if it doesnt say AT&T and just puts that AT&T in single quotes.... 'AT&T' Customer Service had no idea why...
    Kevin-
    OS 5.0.0.822
    How To Install bbsak/.cod
    Due to government regulations, positional information is delayed by 5 minutes.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2097A795

Weird my host routing table still shows mine as all Cingular as well
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,449 Global Posts
    PIN
    head Gunpowder

Quote Originally Posted by sourkevin View Post
    I think my bold blocks that if it doesnt say AT&T and just puts that AT&T in single quotes.... 'AT&T' Customer Service had no idea why...
    I get that every once in a while too, the 'AT&T'. Never understood why.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakytiki64 View Post
    Weird my host routing table still shows mine as all Cingular as well
    Same here, just never seen Cingular come up on the home screen.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,393 Global Posts

are you using an older cingular sim ?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by sourkevin View Post
    Yea the wife's Bold 9700 does that from time to time with the 'AT&T' . Thought about calling customer service but figured they wouldn't have an idea what I was telling them.

Reboot will 'fix' it, although it's not a problem. Just makes me wonder why and what makes it come up
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    32,324 Global Posts

I never saw that. Weird.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Since my post it has gone back to AT&T...weird. It happened right after I installed the new bb messenger update.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,449 Global Posts
    PIN
    head Gunpowder

Quote Originally Posted by katiepea View Post
    are you using an older cingular sim ?
    AFAIK you can't. They've changed my sim twice since they've changed to AT&T, said the newer ones were required for the newer phones.