Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default AT&T Blackberry bold 9000 no data plan. help?

hey, i just got a blackberry bold 9000 v5.0 from a friend of mine and i do not have the data plan nor do i want it. i do have wifi on this phone and im wondering what settings i should do so i dont get charged for data. If i keep "data service: on" and "when roaming: off" and use wifi for the browser or ubertwitter, will i get charged for data? and what should i keep the tcp and all of that to? thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

I think you should have a data plan to be able to use wifi. So, don't worry . . you won't get charged since you don't have a data plan even using wifi

Would someone correct if I'm wrong please
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    33,463 Global Posts

AT&T does IMEI sweeps, and they will automatically detect that you have a BlackBerry and add a data plan whether you want one or not.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,104 Global Posts

Att data plans are now starting for $15 for 200 mb. Why not have it? Its not a data hog what so ever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

You use to could block data on your smartphones...no longer.
    CrackBerry Genius

wow

In Bahrain, you can disable data or not get a data plan from the start, and then you can't access anything even using wifi. Your BB will be as any other mobile phones
    CrackBerry User

Default :(

I was in the same issue,but i have to notice : I need data plan.Some porgram can work just on wifi for example: Nimbuzz (IM),OpenBeak (twitter) and the borswer with the settings : "Default Browser : Hotspot browser , but you cant use GPS,facebook,push e-mail, so you have a "low end hero ".I think data plan is the the only and the best way for BlackBerry users.
    Device: Unlocked at&t Bold 9700
    Carrier: T-Mobile Hungary
    Author of www.szederblog.hu
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    496 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    AT&T does IMEI sweeps, and they will automatically detect that you have a BlackBerry and add a data plan whether you want one or not.
    How often do they do these IMEI sweeps? My Mom has been using my curve for several months now with no data. I'm wondering if I need to get her another phone...
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
    CrackBerry Genius

Did she have it prior to September?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

I had that discussion with AT&T rep, when it is detected as a smart phone the data will be enabled. the system won't let you use it as a dumb phone, i asked.
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue "excellence does not require perfection "l.[/COLOR]
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24A15E95

They don't do IMEI sweeps you dumb *****. I had my Bold for 1 year and 6 months so far. Running solid with no Data plan. Wi-Fi and texting is all I need. Dumb *****. Love you.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    33,463 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrrecked View Post
    They don't do IMEI sweeps you dumb *****. I had my Bold for 1 year and 6 months so far. Running solid with no Data plan. Wi-Fi and texting is all I need. Dumb *****. Love you.
    If you've had it for 1 year and 6 months, that is prior to September 2009, if you cannot do the math. You're grandfathered in. New users are not.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts

It'll get added in under a minute under most circumstances. I've seen it added in the time it took to check voice mail.
    I've sipped many different Kool-Aid's...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrrecked View Post
    No, you're the moron. AT&T policy has changed, it is now REQUIRED. YOU are grandfathered until you change devices. Moron. Don't love you.
    I've sipped many different Kool-Aid's...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    If you've had it for 1 year and 6 months, that is prior to September 2009, if you cannot do the math. You're grandfathered in. New users are not.
    Lol, people trying to be cute and fail.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Totalimmortal363 View Post
    No, you're the moron. AT&T policy has changed, it is now REQUIRED. YOU are grandfathered until you change devices. Moron. Don't love you.
    Actually if you did not purchase the phone from att then you are NOT require to have data only phones purchased from att with a new plan or upgrade is required to have data.. i just switched back to a bold 2 months ago and they tried to add the data but since i didnt purchase the phone under a contract they have no control to make me add data..
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Actually if you did not purchase the phone from att then you are NOT require to have data only phones purchased from att with a new plan or upgrade is required to have data.. i just switched back to a bold 2 months ago and they tried to add the data but since i didnt purchase the phone under a contract they have no control to make me add data..
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts