Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default From Sprint to AT&T

I'm thinking about leaving sprint to go to AT&T for the Bold. Would be my first Blackberry and really not sure how its going to be but the Bold is the only one that would make me make the jump. Maybe the Niagra but definitely the Bold. Currently i'm using the HTC Pro and love the device but always been curious about the Blackberry experience. For anyone who has left Sprint to AT&T for the bold, How has the service, monthly fees and the Blackberry experience been for you. Would you make the same decision again to leave or if you were like me would you just wait for the Niagra? My contract with Sprint is up at the end of May. Keep in mind I am in NYC on the Sprint $69.99 everything plan which includes 450 anytime, unlimited nights & weekends starting at 7, unlimited text, data, navigation, insurance. Altogether my bill is $90 a month. Thanks.
    Last edited by championart; 04-29-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

If I were you the first thing I would do is find out what coverage is like in your area. That's an important factor.

If you jump from Sprint to AT&T or to VZW for a Niagara, your bill will probably be a bit more anyway since Sprint does have cheap plans to keep subscribers. I'd say no matter what type of plan you have with Sprint, you're probably going to pay another 5-10 bucks more, PLUS the $30 data plan for the Blackberry so you can use it to its full potential.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by forever29 View Post
    If I were you the first thing I would do is find out what coverage is like in your area. That's an important factor.

If you jump from Sprint to AT&T or to VZW for a Niagara, your bill will probably be a bit more anyway since Sprint does have cheap plans to keep subscribers. I'd say no matter what type of plan you have with Sprint, you're probably going to pay another 5-10 bucks more, PLUS the $30 data plan for the Blackberry so you can use it to its full potential.
    Thanks, I am starting to realize that i would have to spend more for a plan on another network. Wasn't sure how much though. Would i be able to do a one year contract with AT&T with a Bold?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts

Verizon BB plan: $49.00
    AT&T BB plan: $30.00

Also, the rumor now is saying the Niagara will be called the Tour.

I love my Bold.
    Another Day in Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by championart View Post
    Thanks, I am starting to realize that i would have to spend more for a plan on another network. Wasn't sure how much though. Would i be able to do a one year contract with AT&T with a Bold?
    I'm not exactly sure if you can sign a one-year contract with AT&T. But what I do know is that you can go with no contract, but would have to pay full price for the Bold.

Quote Originally Posted by laollis View Post
    Verizon BB plan: $49.00
    AT&T BB plan: $30.00

Also, the rumor now is saying the Niagara will be called the Tour.

I love my Bold.
    The VZW plan is also $30 as well. It's $50 on each AT&T and VZW for unlimited BIS+Unlimited SMS.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I'm not exactly sure if you can sign a one-year contract with AT&T. But what I do know is that you can go with no contract, but would have to pay full price for the Bold.

The VZW plan is also $30 as well. It's $50 on each AT&T and VZW for unlimited BIS+Unlimited SMS.
    Really so if decided to go the no contract route, would i have to get the Bold through AT&T for the full price or would i be able to get it from say ebay or amazon and then still be able to get a plan without contract from AT&T. Wow @ $50 for unlimited blackberry+sms. Thats the cost of a whole other plan right there lol.

Really so if decided to go the no contract route, would i have to get the Bold through AT&T for the full price or would i be able to get it from say ebay or amazon and then still be able to get a plan without contract from AT&T. Wow @ $50 for unlimited blackberry+sms. Thats the cost of a whole other plan right there lol.
    Now that I'm not exactly sure of. If I were you I'd just call AT&T and ask them. "If I already have a phone that someone gave me, can I activate a line with you guys without a contract?" They'll tell you.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

As stated, service is location dependent. I've had no dropped calls on AT&T so far, whereas I had them occasionally on Sprint. Billing is more expensive, but I get rollover which results in A LOT more anytime minutes...

I like the sim card swapping a lot better than ESN switching tbh also...

I pay $87 a month for roughly the same as what you have (minus insurance and nav) + rollover because I have a corp discount. Nights start at 9, but I don't really find that an issue with all the anytime minutes rolling over each month.

If I was in that position, the Niagara wait is pointless. Refurb bold for free is where it's at.
    Last edited by papped; 04-29-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    As stated, service is location dependent. I've had no dropped calls on AT&T so far, whereas I had them occasionally on Sprint. Billing is more expensive, but I get rollover which results in A LOT more anytime minutes...

I like the sim card swapping a lot better than ESN switching tbh also...

I pay $87 a month for roughly the same as what you have (minus insurance and nav) + rollover because I have a corp discount. Nights start at 9, but I don't really find that an issue with all the anytime minutes rolling over each month.

If I was in that position, the Niagara wait is pointless. Refurb bold for free is where it's at.
    Hey thanks papped remember you from the treo central days. Its hard to leave a touch screen phone lol. Is AT&T offering the refurb bold for free or where would i be able to get a hold of it? Would i be able to get insurance for it being that its a refurb phone?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts

I pay $30.00 unlimited data and 200 text with AT&T.
    My friend pays $49.00 for unlimited data with Verizon.
    Another Day in Paradise
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by laollis View Post
    I pay $30.00 unlimited data and 200 text with AT&T.
    My friend pays $49.00 for unlimited data with Verizon.
    If thats the case then i guess verizon and the Tour is out of the question for me
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts

This is for AT&T: BlackBerry® Personal $35.00* Unlimited 0/KB 0.0195/KB View Details
    *Data Add-on is only $30.00 if you buy it with an individual or FamilyTalk voice plan.

This is for Verizon: BlackBerry® Solution
    An Internet and Email plan for your BlackBerry device.

Monthly access $49.99

These prices are on top of your voice minutes plan.
    Last edited by laollis; 04-29-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: to show AT&T and Verizon differences
    Another Day in Paradise

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Hey thanks papped remember you from the treo central days. Its hard to leave a touch screen phone lol. Is AT&T offering the refurb bold for free or where would i be able to get a hold of it? Would i be able to get insurance for it being that its a refurb phone?
    It's not really that hard =P. The difference is the OS ui. Imo you don't gain a whole lot using touchscreen on the BB OS ui, so you don't really miss it much (other than for gaming).

AT&T Deals | Cell phone deals, packages, and free cellular phones. - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular
    There's the button saying "Refurbs starting at FREE". You can ask AT&T regarding the insurance on their online chat thing probably (or by email, etc).
    CrackBerry Genius

I wouldnt say its THAT much more expensive than Sprint. The SEP plan will cost you $90 on ATT, with a FAN youre talking not much difference. If you go to college or belong to a credit union or your employer you can get 10-25% off your monthly bill depending on their deal with ATT. I know through my law school i get 15% off, but i only got 200 texts instead of unlim and my bill is about $70. So with unlim texts youre talking $10-15 difference depends on your FAN if you get one.

And I came from old $30 SERO, but no amount of savings was worth the billing mistakes, constant transfers when you call in, and time wasted fixing their issues personally. For SEP vs ATT comparable, $15-20 is like cutting out eating lunch out twice a month, not a huge forfeit.

It also depends who you talk to most. For me I was the only person I knew left with Sprint so M2M was getting me nothing and I was blowing through my 500 min. Now I have 50 min less and use 400 ATT M2M and gain a ton of rollover- another perk of paying a little more but you can rack up thousands of anytime if you dont hit 450 a month and basically have "unlimited."

Ill be honest, I was on Sprint for 3 years, and Sprint-based forums/sub-forums like to perpetuate the myth that Sprint is miles cheaper and SEP is this godsend deal. But there are many factors to that beyond face value. Who do you call most (what carriers)? Do you get a FAN on ATT? Do you actually use the services SEP includes (TV, radio, sprint Nav, etc) because if not your really paying for stuff youre not using anyways (plenty of free BB options for those too). Do you really NEED unlim texting or can you do 200 ($5) or 1500 ($15)? that will save you $$ on ATT too vs the $20 unlim.

By the time the niagra comes out GSM will be on the the next great BB or other device and the Niagra will be dated already. CDMA is usually far behind GSM in terms of phones offered because most of the world uses GSM so manufacturers cater to GSM first normally.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-29-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Thanks again to you guys for all the help and papped for pointing me into that direction for the free refurb. Right now i am on sprint's website analyzing my monthly trends for the last 8 months with this neat program they have. This will help determine what plan i choose. After analyzing my trends i use an average per month of 241 anytime minutes, 758 nights and weekends, mobile to mobile 1854 (Most people i know have Sprint), text 1663, web and data 268,872 per month. Now off to AT&T website to find out where this fits in with the AT&T plans.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Okay after looking at the plans on At&T and comparing it to my trends usage on sprint, the plan that would be closest to my usage patterns would be the $39.99 plan. Altogether on At&T my plan would be $39.99 + $50 blackberry personal + $4.99 insurance. So about $95 before tax. While on Sprint $90 including tax. So i'd be paying about $15 more a month when tax is included than when on Sprint and would be losing Turn by Turn navigation and Tv. The Tv i don't use so really just navigation. Not as bad as i expected. Now to figure out how the service on AT&T is in NYC.

Okay after looking at the plans on At&T and comparing it to my trends usage on sprint, the plan that would be closest to my usage patterns would be the $39.99 plan. Altogether on At&T my plan would be $39.99 + $50 blackberry personal + $4.99 insurance. So about $95 before tax. While on Sprint $90 including tax. So i'd be paying about $15 more a month when tax is included than when on Sprint and would be losing Turn by Turn navigation and Tv. The Tv i don't use so really just navigation. Not as bad as i expected. Now to figure out how the service on AT&T is in NYC.
    Be careful with the service. I've seen a couple of threads surface on here within the last few days about bad ATT service in NYC.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

As for turn by turn nav use amazeGps, its free. Its not quite as slick as telenav, but it still looks good and works well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

AT&T's coverage sucks compared to Sprint, espicially on 3G coverage, I recommend staying with Sprint or going to Verizon if you want better coverage and call quality

CrackBerry User

i work for at&t. i would go into a store and have them look up your address and where you use your phone the most to see if you have good coverage. as for as a bold on a one year contract. it would be only $75 off the no comitment price. yes it would be more pricy but you have to whats best for you
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,104 Global Posts

I switched to att, and barely text. I got all my friends on BB messenger. Saves texting, and of course, social neworks too. So a small plan is needed when you really think about.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts

I went from Sprint to AT&T. Unfortunately I purchased a Treo 800w that was a complete piece of crap. Sprint refused to help me out much at all and basically told me they'd rather lose me as a customer so I jumped ship to get a reliable phone (Bold).

Sprint's plans are cheaper hands down. I pay about $4 more a month for my AT&T plan compared to my Sprint plan and that's with a student discount. The only plan differences are: I gain rollover minutes but I use TV and GPS.

AT&T's coverage also sucks compared to Sprint's. I live in Maryland and there was not one place where I lost my 3G coverage with Sprint. With AT&T I constantly lose 3G (even at the heart of Baltimore City!) and even without moving the phone it'll occasionally jump to EDGE and on few occasions, GPRS!

So yeah AT&T has better phones but their monthly costs, service and coverage flat out sucks compared to Sprint.

I plan on jumping back to Sprint once my contract ends so I can get a Pre or the new Tour .
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    As for turn by turn nav use amazeGps, its free. Its not quite as slick as telenav, but it still looks good and works well.

Thanks for the heads up about that app papped. Atleast i know there is a an option for navigation now besides the monthly bill. I'm so used to flashing roms and finding apps easily on windows mobile that i think this will be my biggest gripe about the bold/blackberry in general.

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

i was on a Sprint SERO plan, $49.00 1250 mins unlimited everything. i switched back to AT&T because i missed the ease of GSM. however, my wireless bill will be doubled. so if money isnt a thing for you, i can say switching back to AT&T from Sprint went well. the benefits of a GSM phone out weighed being stuck with the same POS on sprint.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast