Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Selling my Bold to get an iPhone...

I was the biggest seller of the Bold, even when I didn't have one. I finally got one and everything seemed perfect, except.....You can't use any more than 3 third party applications without your memory decreasing to nothing. You can't install apps on your memory card like you can with the Treo, and you can't use some of that extra 1Gb space for applications.

What use is it to have a brand new App World, if you can only use 4 apps because of memory.....

I'm waiting patiently for a fix, but if I don't see some updates soon, I'm going to go iPhone. I hated the idea of typing on a touchscreen, but I have to give it to Apple...they come out with new features and updates all the time and now with 3.0 coming out....

Come on Blackberry do the right thing....Give me more app memory or fix the leaks and the Bold would be perfect!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    558 Global Posts
    PIN
    79FADB30

You should check the 8900 before going to the other side....
    'If everything seems under control, you are not going fast enough'
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

Wow, you must have a defective unit. I counted 28 third party apps (plus some other small utils) installed on mine, including some large memory users, and still have 20+/- mb free even after some memory bleed.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J-Black View Post
    I was the biggest seller of the Bold, even when I didn't have one. I finally got one and everything seemed perfect, except.....You can't use any more than 3 third party applications without your memory decreasing to nothing. You can't install apps on your memory card like you can with the Treo, and you can't use some of that extra 1Gb space for applications.

What use is it to have a brand new App World, if you can only use 4 apps because of memory.....

I'm waiting patiently for a fix, but if I don't see some updates soon, I'm going to go iPhone. I hated the idea of typing on a touchscreen, but I have to give it to Apple...they come out with new features and updates all the time and now with 3.0 coming out....

Come on Blackberry do the right thing....Give me more app memory or fix the leaks and the Bold would be perfect!
    Ummm I'm an iPhone advocate but your reasoning makes NO sense being that the iPhone can run ONE program at a given time. Push notifications are not the same thing at all so even when 3.0 is released you will have this restriction. Also, being that the new iPhone is expected to be released in July your entire decision is quite foolish.
    CrackBerry Genius

I currently have 20 apps and 5 themes installed and have not had any issues with performance at all.

I do hope you get what you're looking for in the iPhone, however. Stop by the CB community if you get the itch.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Me as well, I have 31 apps installed and a couple tweaks (berrybuzz, aerize optimizer, etc) and I have around ~28MB throughout the day, aeriez optimizer also keeps it in check, why don't you give that a try? Its free for 7 days. Don't leave, the bold is better! Don't be ANOTHER person with the iPhone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    G!

3 apps?? Yup, has to be your individual device.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bol...pp-mem-210070/

I have close to 30 apps installed and often run many of them at once. As you'll see in the above referenced thread, my memory dipped low but only because I had a ridiculously large number of apps open (for test purposes). My device never dips below 27mb free.

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by tommoore View Post
    Wow, you must have a defective unit. I counted 28 third party apps (plus some other small utils) installed on mine, including some large memory users, and still have 20+/- mb free even after some memory bleed.
    No way man... u are so lying... i agree with the OP.... things like viigo take a lot of memory...
    CrackBerry User

This is going to turn into another flame war I can tell

CrackBerry Abuser

OMG I MUST HAVE A DEFECTIVE BOLD.. i have

1 theme
    pandora
    facebook
    google maps
    opera mini
    google talk
    BB weather
    gmail app

thats 8 apps, and all languages and unnecessary games etc uninstalled and one day after my battery pull, its 25 mb. I just did a battery pull and have 44 mb

unless u guys are counting calender, clock, bbm etc to be apps too.... even then, i dont have more than 16-17 apps

Is this normal?

btw, i love my bold, so dont thrash me plz
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leroypinto123 View Post
    No way man... u are so lying... i agree with the OP.... things like viigo take a lot of memory...
    Must be me with the defective BB then, since after a battery pull I have 28 MB showing with my 28+ apps. The status screen must be broken.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

damn i woulda traded ya, i just sold my iphone for 550......time for some craigslist bb hunting

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

I have Viigo, several games that are 500k-1mb each, slacker (1.4mb), my custom theme (1mb), other themes (500-700k), and several other apps at 100k-500k each.

No memory issues.
    CrackBerry Genius

ZZZZZZZ i dont care go get an Iphone if that makes you happy
    this is one old tired worn out beaten to death tactic...
    the sad part is that people react to this "stuff' no matter that about once a day some attention wh**e posts a similar topic
    "the Bold stinks so i'm going to get(insert phone of your choice here) and i want all you bold owners to know because i need some attention"
    PLEASE go to the nearest ATT store and get that Iphone that you want....trust me,life will go on
    wonder what your first 2 posts on this forum were about?
    amazing ..seems like the OP doesnt exist anymore... go figure
    Last edited by giantfan30; 04-29-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    Stupidity is a circumstance that can't be helped. ignorance is a choice

Global Posts
    5,933 Global Posts

Your post has a decidedly trollish whiff to it. As jmwein indicated, you can only run ONE app at a time on the iPhone right now. I actually have 6, count 'em, 6 apps running right now (ÜberTwitter, Facebook, BOLT, Google Maps, WHERE, and Weathereye) and I've lost a whopping total of 0.2 MB. Try that on the iPhone. Better yet, try trolling elsewhere.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,086 Global Posts

All I can say is: buh bye! LOL
    Another Day in Paradise
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Leroy, upgrade to .247. That's the issue.

And yea who cares.. Go away if u don't like it here. You aren't cut out for it

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,406 Global Posts
    PIN
    upon request

I have 16 apps and no memory issues.
    I deleted app world as it seemed to cause leaks.
    IPhones are fun tho, I hope you enjoy it

Must be your phone, but do what you want.

You login may even work...

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/
    Tronyx's Important & Popular Blackberry Links (This one is worth the visit, Kids)
    Real post....
    ive had the phone for 11 days now, upgraded os to .247, unbranded using a different vsm, and, worst of all, i have broken the warranty seal because i blacked the bold out...
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Why?

I have about 30 apps on my Bold with no problems at all and with an extra 30 mb left so maybe you need to get another berry before you go buy an iPhone that can only run one app at a time.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    PIN
    20E596D2

Ah yes, the iPhone...

I personally have had an iPhone 3G since release, and used it daily until saturday. I am now running on a bold.

Things I didnt really like about the iPhone:

Virtual keyboard: No-go for me. I cannot count the times when I have been close to throwing it out the window purely due to aggravation in regards to using that keyboard. (My wife has an iPhone, and has no issues with the virtual keyboard).

Apps: I am personally going for no-frills apps, that just WORK. I don't need a massive multitude of games, funny apps and so on.

Running multiple apps: Need I say anything here? Seriously? Yes, I'm aware that backgrounder works when having a jailbroken phone, which I did. And whoop-di-doo, battery life was almost non-existent. with just THREE apps running, I killed my battery in about 5 hours. With no apps running, I could have a battery-life of about 2½ days. Running multiple apps on iPhone is just not an option for me.

Thats about it.

As I see it, there's a phone for everyone. Some may like Bold, others the iPhone. To each their own. After almost a year with iPhone, I personally am happy as **** to have "converted" to the bold.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by zachthemaster View Post
    Leroy, upgrade to .247. That's the issue.

I am running .247, perhaps it will help me if you guys could tell me how many times a week you do battery pulls to keep ur bold's running smooth.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    PIN
    20E596D2

Quote Originally Posted by leroypinto123 View Post
    I am running .247, perhaps it will help me if you guys could tell me how many times a week you do battery pulls to keep ur bold's running smooth.
    Running 5 apps at the moment. Did a battery-pull earlier, but was due to my MMS acting up (which, btw, seems to be more than just me with that problem today). Have never done a battery-pull due to lack of memory, as of yet.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    21E50A3A

I have about 7 or 8 apps, but once I open viigo, messages and phone call logs get deleted, I see the constant "wait" clock and my memory eventually ends up a zero. I think it's poor software/memory management.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

I juist recounted my apps. I have 35. And 4 utilities (in options menu) and I have currently 27.8 MB free. No joke. Quickpull goes every morning

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast