Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Question on 1 Year Manufacturers Warenty?

K so im with Rogers and when i got my phone they told me i had a 1 yr warrenty with it. They said if anythign is wrong with it just bring it to us and we'll give you a brand new one.

My question is.. what kind of problem would it have to be?

How bad?
    Can you list some example so i can get a clue at to when i can exchange mine?
    I've had it since it came out, but i want to use the warrenty as much as i can.
    Thanks

Regards
    Tspn
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,572 Global Posts
    PIN
    Say Please

It's the same as any other standard. Manufacturer defect. So hardware is an example.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I've never really questioned a warrenty before..
    So are like Scratches big enough?
    Or dents? or like what about software too?
    What if my bold is resetting everything i set it down?
    Its like my battery is loose..
    is that something i can exchange it for?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,572 Global Posts
    PIN
    Say Please

Anything physical is considered normal wear and tear. Not software or the use of software that messes up your phone. They all have disclaimers. Yes resetting itself unless its the result of software. If you've caused the battery to become loose then no go. Any thing you do to the phone is your fault. Anything they've done is covered.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Soo
    Wear and tear = no no
    Anything my fault = no no

Im not totally sure what a yes yes is though.
    can you explain just a little more?

The situation with the phone resetting was not my fault. i like got it that way. I was careful with it and one day, i just set it on the counter without being gentle, but not like throwing it, y'know? then it just reset, and i experimented and figured the battery was loose.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,572 Global Posts
    PIN
    Say Please

LMAO. A yes yes is hardware. Phone your service provider. They may ask you to wipe it and reinstall the OS. If it happens again phone them again. They will give you a reference number for an exchange. That's how it works with Rogers anyway.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by tspn View Post
    Soo
    Wear and tear = no no
    Anything my fault = no no

Im not totally sure what a yes yes is though.
    can you explain just a little more?

The situation with the phone resetting was not my fault. i like got it that way. I was careful with it and one day, i just set it on the counter without being gentle, but not like throwing it, y'know? then it just reset, and i experimented and figured the battery was loose.
    You drop it in water = warranty void. There is a moisture detector inside the phone... If you do drop in water, take the battery out immediately. If the water is salty, rinse it with fresh water and let the phone dry for 4-5 days, and then try using it again. It will most likely work.

Similarly, some issues maybe obviously due to abuse, for example dropping the phone and applying too much force on it. (depends on the guy though and the actual condition.)

If you open the phone yourself, warranty void.

Generally speaking, if the phone stops working just like that it would mean that you have a faulty unit... so don't worry about them not taking it in.

A lot electronic damage however is accumulated over time... usually the signs of it only show after the 1 year warranty period. For example, electrostatic shock on the components will eventually destroy them, slowly. The effects will not show immediately. Similarly with physical shock...
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ask me

In my experience, you need to contact Data Tech Support first before you do anything. The individual will advise you on how to proceed i.e. self-repair or go to a dealer.

Have you tried calling up Tech Support to see what they say about your random shutoffs?

As for scratches, that's physical and wouldn't be covered. Unless there's a manufacturer defect, then that can be a different scenario. In general, anything you inflict is usually considered your problem.
    In the land of Z. Stay Focused 24-7.
    Z10 | PlayBook 64 GB
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

dang.. >.<
    so my situation.. has to be 'just deal with it' kinda thing?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,572 Global Posts
    PIN
    Say Please

You could try. I wouldn't say it was gently dropped but there's no harm in trying.

I'll try to make it easy for you.

Start by reading the manual, the manufacturer's warranty is printed there (or in the pdf version on disk).

In simple terms, physical (external cause) or liquid ingress damage is generally excluded from warranty, but you could arrange insurance for this. Internal (electronic) failure is usually covered by warranty unless you do something deliberate to cause the failure.

Now the bit you don't want to hear. Warranty is not a 'free upgrade service'. You DO NOT want to use the warranty unless the phone is really broken. You will almost certainly get a refurbished unit in exchange, and you will have to spend time getting it setup again to your preferences. In the worst case the failure will lose all the data stored in the original phone, you won't have a recent backup, and it will fail the day before you leave home on a long trip - or when you need it urgently while away from other communications.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ask me

I'm confused...are you asking about whether scratches and dents are covered? That kind of stuff is never usually warrantied.

If it's the battery issue, it depends. From the sounds of it, it might be something loose. However, if you were to bring it in and it's been banged up enough (scratches and dents), they might automatically assume you probably caused the battery to now fall out.

If the scratches and dents are really minor, then you may want to call up Data Tech Support to see what they say about your battery and software issue. They might tell you to go to a dealer for their evaluation.
    Z10 | PlayBook 64 GB
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

K well this isn't about sracthes and dents, those were just examples..
    Im just really pissed at my phone because i have to keep somethign in the back of the phone inorder to keep the battery tight.. which causes the back cover to be all .. well not normal.
    And even so sometimes the phone will reset with a slight nudge or if im bringing it up from m pocket and it hits the edge of a table then it'll for surely reset no matter how hard.

Because this is the best phone i've EVER had, i wouldn't want to do anything to it deliberatly. Its probably one of the best investments i've made so far.

And yeah i've backed up my stuff onto the computer already just incase it goes to far somehow.. so i don't need to put in music and all that all over again with to much problem.

What kind of things deliberatly would someone do to their phone in order to try to get a new/refurbished one?

(refurbished.. is like used but new parts right? im not to sure)
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ask me

I'm not sure what kind of deliberate things can be done. A dealer with a good eye will know someone has "tampered" with the phone.

If you haven't done anything to it, why not call into the Data Tech Support and see what they say?

You also might want to read this: Rogers Communications - Wireless, Digital Cable TV, Hi-Speed Internet, Home Phone
    Z10 | PlayBook 64 GB
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Does that mean i can just send in my phone (if something is totally wrong) and just get it refurbrished?
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ask me

Quote Originally Posted by tspn View Post
    Does that mean i can just send in my phone (if something is totally wrong) and just get it refurbrished?
    Um...you really need to read the rest of the links on that page that I linked. It tells you what you need to do and rules and what happens.

From what it says on their site, you're basically swapping for another device. So, there's a huge chance that you won't get back your own.
    Z10 | PlayBook 64 GB
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by GapBoyPCS View Post
    Um...you really need to read the rest of the links on that page that I linked. It tells you what you need to do and rules and what happens.

From what it says on their site, you're basically swapping for another device. So, there's a huge chance that you won't get back your own.
    oh right right. yeah, well okay.

Thanks everyone.

I guess i just gotta 'deal with it' for now..