Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    20D60FE1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default okay so I have finally found how to fix sticky trackballs

and it turns out to be the solution many of you guys suggested. I love my bold but I am a big critic when it comes to trackballs- i HATE the damn things.

Anyway I bought a compressed air can and try to blow the lint out and the trackball was still sticky.

Either way, there's no way lint would get in the phone. I never carry it in my pocket. The only way the trackballs get like this is because of all the oils and skin cells from your fingers go inside the ball, which I think is a total product defect.

Anyway I just grabbed some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. After dipping the q tip in the alcohol and cleaning the trackball, it pretty much did the trick. Seriously, I am so relieved this worked.
    Bold 9000 // Twitter: anzola33

Stay thirsty, my friends.
    CrackBerry User

It's great that worked for you! I dislike having the trackball too, for this exact reason.

I did the hand sanitizer way and it worked for me. I was a little nervous about using the rubbing alcohol / q-tip trick, because I didn't want to get any of the q-tip cotton stuck in the trackball wheels. Did the trackball get any whiter after you used the alcohol / q-tip?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts
    PIN
    DEADBEEF

This does work quite well. Being diabetic, I have a large supply of alcohol swabs at hand.

That said, you're still going to get fuzz from your pocket and elsewhere back behind the ball. The only way to fix that is to disassemble, pop the trackball out and pick the wadded up fuzz from the backside of the trackball assembly using a toothpick or some other "soft" but pointy object.

I also noticed that the contact pad on the motherboard and the "click" contact on the trackball were dirty as well, so I cleaned those up with a swab.

Operation Lifesaver presenter - Look, Listen & Live - www.oli.org

"Reading the documentation fully is a prerequisite to getting help for your particular situation. I know it's harsh but you will have to get so far on your own before you can get reasonable help from a list full of busy people. A mailing list is not a tool to speed up your day by being spoon fed." -- Simon White
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

Every now and then I power my device off and use a lens cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth to clean the screen and keyboard (spray the solution on the cloth, not the device). Well, what I found in the process is that the solution also loosens a binding/sticky trackball as well.

BTW, Having gone through different devices over the years, I think the trackball is one of the best features of this phone. FWIW.
    CrackBerry Abuser

i gave up with my trackball down issues in the end and just purchased a replacement. i'm not the best with hardware but followed the guides on youtube and had no problem fitting a new one. good as new now. it was beginning to drive me insane, though with shortcuts i still had about 90% usability of my bold. now back to 100% :-)
    Blackberry BOLD '2' with os ....5.0.0.593
    CrackBerry Abuser

You gotta open it and pick out the lint that gathers in the back of the tb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts
    PIN
    DEADBEEF

Quote Originally Posted by justin61390 View Post

There's an echo in here...

Operation Lifesaver presenter - Look, Listen & Live - www.oli.org

"Reading the documentation fully is a prerequisite to getting help for your particular situation. I know it's harsh but you will have to get so far on your own before you can get reasonable help from a list full of busy people. A mailing list is not a tool to speed up your day by being spoon fed." -- Simon White
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    20D60FE1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Pete777 View Post
    Every now and then I power my device off and use a lens cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth to clean the screen and keyboard (spray the solution on the cloth, not the device). Well, what I found in the process is that the solution also loosens a binding/sticky trackball as well.

BTW, Having gone through different devices over the years, I think the trackball is one of the best features of this phone. FWIW.
    the tb is great in the sense that you're always getting physical feedback from whatever you're doing. but going through 3 models of blackberries, the trackball is the one thing that has epically failed me. I was actually interested in the Storm2 but I stayed put b/c the Bold is the perfect phone for me and Verizon is, well, Verizon (yuck).

i love the idea of the tb but it is ridiculous how easily it breaks. Contrary to popular belief, picket line is NOT, i repeat NOT, the problem. How do I know? Well b/c my phone is NEVER in my pocket. What screws the tb up is your fingers and the oils and dirt in em.

Um obviously, no one has perfectly clean spotless fingers all the time. it's kind of RIM's problem to build a tb that gets torn from too much touches of the finger. If we could only move things with our minds

CrackBerry User

PIN
    20D60FE1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by atxlolifer View Post
    It's great that worked for you! I dislike having the trackball too, for this exact reason.

I did the hand sanitizer way and it worked for me. I was a little nervous about using the rubbing alcohol / q-tip trick, because I didn't want to get any of the q-tip cotton stuck in the trackball wheels. Did the trackball get any whiter after you used the alcohol / q-tip?
    it didn't get too much whiter, but there is a noticeable difference. Either way I like the black look, it looks like the 8900's trackball. I just pretend that that's what it is and not because how dirty it is lol.

and I noticed some of the cotton swab coming off. What I did was hold the trackball still, swab some on, dry it, then rotate to the other side. Again, hold it in place and so on. 2 times I swabbed a little alcohol on then switched to the other side so that it could clean whatever dirt and oils are in the inside.

CrackBerry User

PIN
    20D60FE1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by justin61390 View Post

no way, dude. I am EXTREMELY hesitant of opening up the phone b/c that'll kill your warranty. At the end of the day, we are all at the mercy of AT&T

... unless you're a rogue, "unlocked" user.

CrackBerry User

PIN
    20D60FE1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by kasw3670 View Post
    i gave up with my trackball down issues in the end and just purchased a replacement. i'm not the best with hardware but followed the guides on youtube and had no problem fitting a new one. good as new now. it was beginning to drive me insane, though with shortcuts i still had about 90% usability of my bold. now back to 100% :-)
    I was about to give up too until I did this. But I would LOVE a trackpad Bold. That 9700 is wayyyy to small. It's even smaller than the Curve and Tour!

Guess I have to wait for that rumored Blackberry that's the same size as the Bold with a trackpad... what is it, the essex? Dakota? yeah. whatever.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    PIN

i want a bold 9000 to have the screen to be touch screen that be awesome and still be the same time for its spacious keyboard
    CrackBerry Abuser

What I do is take a thick kitchen paper towel like Brawny, rip like a 6x6 section off the corner, then fold it over. Put some rubbing alcohol like 91 percent (isopropy)l. With the phone off or keys locked, use the paper towel with alcohol and rub it over the track ball with some force while moving It around. After your done there will be no fibers left at all since the paper towel is very thick and won't come apart. I do this once a day or once every other day to keep the track ball responsive and clean

Banned

Global Posts
    4,276 Global Posts

Rubbing alcohol and q tip is a temporary fix. The only real way of fixing a track ball is: if you're under warranty get a replacement. If you're warranty has expired replace it yourself. Anything else is a temporary fix.

CrackBerry User

PIN
    20D60FE1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    Rubbing alcohol and q tip is a temporary fix. The only real way of fixing a track ball is: if you're under warranty get a replacement. If you're warranty has expired replace it yourself. Anything else is a temporary fix.

This is very, VERY true. I suppose my headline is a bit misleading. The alcohol thing is temporary. I do it once a day to get the trackball rolling smooth. sometimes twice. My warranty goes into december so i'll try and max this trackball as long as I can before i get the new one.

16. K B
    CrackBerry Genius

Just put in a new keyboard (had a bit of wear on it) and a new trackball and what a difference they both make. Looks like a brand new phone. And the trackball is smooth and bright again.

Phone is 15 months old, so it was worth opening it up.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    PIN
    24A02605

After I replaced my 2nd bold from my trackball sticking and breaking that is what they told me to do to correct it.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post

rather than using q-tip (potential lint), it's better put a few drops of rubbing alcohol on lint-free cloth (like that you get from screen guard package) and rub the trackball with the wet part of the cloth.
    CrackBerry User

what happens is, just like a mouse with a ball, the rollers get dirty jammed causing the ball not to spin properly. there are 4 rollers behind the trackball. ****, my ball stopped rolling completely and after removing the trackball assembly, disassembling it and cleaning all the crap off the rollers....it works as it did when it was purchased brand new.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    705 Global Posts

My trackball suddenly stopped moving to the right, while it works ok when moving to the left, up and down... Tried cleaning it with an alcohol cloth with no luck Have u got anything else to suggest except dissasebling the phone???
    CrackBerry User

Default Trackball cleaning

Hi,

I saw it in one of the videos on youtube.

Your trackball might not be workin prply maybe coz it has accumulated lot of dust.

You can clean it by rubbing your trackball against a sheet of paper or maybe on a book page for a while and then use it.

I did this and found the trackball as good as new.

Thanks,

Rohit
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    PIN

defffff G =]
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    705 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rohit1986 View Post
    Hi,

I saw it in one of the videos on youtube.

Your trackball might not be workin prply maybe coz it has accumulated lot of dust.

You can clean it by rubbing your trackball against a sheet of paper or maybe on a book page for a while and then use it.

I did this and found the trackball as good as new.

Thanks,

Rohit
    This solution sounds perfect! I felt the trackball moving but think that i should had done that much earlier than now! After rubing it against a paper it works for a couple of moves and then same
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Permanent fix would be to replace the trackball with a brand new one. I know....many of you are afraid to open up your Bold or you still have it under warranty. But for those of you whose warranties have expired and are not afraid to open up your Bold, go for a coloured ball. I got myself a blue one and it looks really SICK, especially when it lights up with the backlight
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Hey! I'm new to BB. I bought used BB Bold 9000 and when I roll trackball i hear scratching noise from it. Is it normal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast