Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Max Size sotrage for SD card the bold can take??

Hi all,

I wish to find out what is the biggest memory the bold can take for the SD card slot pls? The reason why I asked is that I am aware that there are cerain PDAs can only take up to a certain max storage size of SD card, if not it will crash the PDA.....can anyone advise please? thanks n cheers!!
    I'm a vegetarian. I only eat animals that eat vegetables.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,620 Global Posts

You can put a 16GB microSDHC in there and it will work fine. 16 is the largest you can buy as of now anyways. That and the 16GB just came out.

If they release a 32GB eventually (which I'm sure they will), RIM will probably release an OS upgrade that will allow for support for that as well.
    Your voice sounds like a combination of Fergie and Jesus.

Follow me on Twitter!

PM me for MSN
  3. SmashFace

16GB...but I wouldn't use it all if I were you. I read somewhere reports of serious lag when someone loaded up 10GB.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

so max is up to 10 GB or less?? thanks for the prompt replies pals.cheers
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,620 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fxgt View Post
    so max is up to 10 GB or less?? thanks for the prompt replies pals.cheers
    No max would be 16GB per specifications.

The person was stating that she had heard people having issues. I know people that did however pick up 16GB cards and have almost filled them and are reporting absolutely no problem.

I really do not think that how much you physically have on the card would directly correlate with it lagging. That theory doesn't make sense.

I think a lot of the problem with that is that people are not formatting the cards in their phones. When I didn't format my card in my Curve, it was laggy. In several forums, I have seen that be people's problems. The first thing you should always do with a card is format it IN your blackberry.

Follow me on Twitter!

PM me for MSN
  6. SmashFace

Yup, what she ^ said. I personally can't tell you how it would react to heavy memory use because I haven't actually got off my **** to go get a MicroSD card. My ex actually tried putting in a Sony Mini card in the slot yesterday. First, I hit him for touching my phone (he already stole my 8700 the second I took the SIM out of it and had my back turned) and then I slapped him for not knowing what MicroSD was. Karma is a %@$# because he got mad, walked down the hallway and stubbed his toe on the door frame.

Anyhow, 16GB. If you notice lag or problems, try taking some stuff off.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

The first thing you should always do with a card is format it IN your blackberry, how please?? thanks
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,667 Global Posts
    PIN
    25DCE56E

The cheapest 16g I have found is 99 dollars. You can buy 5 8g cards for that at Amazon. So I would hold of on the 16g.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  9. SmashFace

Options>Media Card CLick your BB menu key and select Format
    CrackBerry Genius

Check out the "Media Cards Explained" thread in my signature.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by SmashFace View Post
    16GB...but I wouldn't use it all if I were you. I read somewhere reports of serious lag when someone loaded up 10GB.
    That's too bad... I got over 10GB podcast... lol....
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by dwadwa View Post
    That's too bad... I got over 10GB podcast... lol....
    So I have to take both Bold and Ipod with me??? .... It makes me wanna have an iphone.... orz
  13. A_S
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have a 16gb card. loaded to 14GB no lag or problems here... The only problem i do have is that some of my music doesnt appear in the media player (even though when you view the directories its there and useable) on most OS's. But that occurs on both my 4gb card and 16Gb card.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts
    PIN
    249E5265

I have read a few places on the net that the "theoretical" max for the Bold and all newer Blackberry OS's is upwards of 2TB, as in terrabytes. Of course, those cards won't be made for at least a year or so, lol.

Also, could the possible lag on the 16 GB cards come from them being a Class 2 speed, instead of the Class 4 speeds. This directly relates to the transfer speeds of the card. Most cards I have seen are the Class 4, but I have also seen the Class 2 cards priced pretty cheap.
    "Si Je Puis" - Clan Colquhoun
    CrackBerry Newbie

8gb sandisk, no problems

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

must it really be scandisk brand pls? any brand will got the bold to hang?? cheers!
    CrackBerry User

I believe it really depends on the class of the memory card you buy. Most of the cards you can buy are class 2 or 4. The class indicates the speed at which the card can transfer data.

Considering you can buy a 8gb class 4 Sandisk for $20 US, there is almost no reason to buy a 16gb unless you have the money to burn. You're looking at an $80-100 pricetag for anything 16gb regardless of whether it is rated at class 2 or 4.
    CrackBerry User

I forgot to add the fastest you can get in a SDHC card right now is class 6.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

16gb card here with >12 gb & no problems. I did format card in berry..... Bold = much faster file transfers than my Curve.....
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,620 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOC_JJ View Post
    I believe it really depends on the class of the memory card you buy. Most of the cards you can buy are class 2 or 4. The class indicates the speed at which the card can transfer data.

Considering you can buy a 8gb class 4 Sandisk for $20 US, there is almost no reason to buy a 16gb unless you have the money to burn. You're looking at an $80-100 pricetag for anything 16gb regardless of whether it is rated at class 2 or 4.
    Agreed - I have a class 4 8GB card I snagged on Amazon for 19 bucks

Hey which is quicker, class 2 or 4? I knew the class determined speed but I wasn't sure what class was quicker.

Follow me on Twitter!

PM me for MSN
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ask me

Class 4 is quicker than Class 2.

Class 2 : >=2MB/s
    Class 4 : >=4MB/s
    Class 6 : >=6MB/s

Pete6 has this post up for a general topic.
    In the land of Z. Stay Focused 24-7.
    Z10 | PlayBook 64 GB
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,620 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GapBoyPCS View Post
    Class 4 is quicker than Class 2.

Class 2 : >=2MB/s
    Class 4 : >=4MB/s
    Class 6 : >=6MB/s

Pete6 has this post up for a general topic.

Nice thanks!

Follow me on Twitter!

PM me for MSN
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by fxgt View Post
    must it really be scandisk brand pls? any brand will got the bold to hang?? cheers!
    I dont think so... I just purchased a Class 6, 8GB microSDHC made by A-data... I dont have a BOLD yet, but I figure it should work just fine.

And it was only $28 shipped
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A_S View Post
    I have a 16gb card. loaded to 14GB no lag or problems here... The only problem i do have is that some of my music doesnt appear in the media player (even though when you view the directories its there and useable) on most OS's. But that occurs on both my 4gb card and 16Gb card.
    I have a sony ericsson that had that same prob(music not appearing in media player even though it was in the music file) then i realised the problem was in the file names i.e. N.W.A. instead of NWA or Notorious B.I.G. instead of BIG. Take out any commas or full stops, that could be the problem. I know mine was a SE & yours is a BB but try it anyway.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    the tail on the Donkey

I've got a 16gb card which seemed to work fine initially even though I didn't format (didn't thinl about it at the time)
    Then it just stopped working completely, and often o get a 'no media card inserted' or 'media card cannot be read' error.
    Tried formatting it inside the BOLD but got an error there too... Any advice?
    Seems a shame not to use the card seeing I spent the hard earned cash on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast