CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Maps for the GPS

Hi,

I am a French user of Blackberry. This is my second device, but the first one with a build in GPS.
    I am on SFR (Vodafone) network and I bought it with them.

When I launch the GPS application (called "carte" in French), I have the following message: "BES or BIS access is not set on your mobile access supplier or your sysadmin" - This is an own translation of the French message I had.

Do you have any idea of what is going on? Do I have to install an application?

Thank you very much in advance.

Arnaud.

I think your phone is not yet setup for BlackBerry service from the phone network provider.

Go to Options, Advanced Options, Service Book and see what is available to you. (You will probably have to translate to find the French menus). You should see about 20 entries if your system is configured.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Hi,

I am in this menu, and I have Blackberry Maps - EU [LbsConfig].

What do I have to do with that?

Thank you.

Arnaud.

Quote Originally Posted by astaib View Post
    Hi,

I am in this menu, and I have Blackberry Maps - EU [LbsConfig].

What do I have to do with that?

Thank you.

Arnaud.
    It sounds like you have at least the service book for Maps.

If you have email and other BlackBerry features working it could be a problem at the service provider (Vodafone) side, or it could even be that Maps or GPS has been deliberately blocked by Vodafone. I think you need to talk to Vodafone Customer Support.

The only other thing you could try is to go to Options, Advanced, GPS then hit the Menu button and select 'Refresh' or 'Update' (not sure of the French menus). If it is working it should search for satellites then give an updated position and timestamp. This would prove the GPS hardware is working.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Hi Branta,

Thank you for your interest.

I'll try to call Vodafone, but I forgot to mention that the hardware is working, it see the satelites, and give me my speed, the problem is that the maps doesn't appear...

Hope that vodafone will be aware!

Arnaud.

GPS working, BBMaps not working - that's a Vodafone issue for sure.
    CrackBerry User

i got a bold today. T-mobile germany. They seller give me a 6 months tmobile navigate code etc. but i dont know how to use it. how to use the gps ?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Hi,

I called Vodafone (SFR in France), they propose me their own navigation application, but they told me that they are unable to help me with the application built-in the bold...

I might have to call RIM in England, because they do not have any office in France!

I installed Google maps, but it is very unprecise, and Amaze GPS but it alway openend and shows "connection problem" after 15 to 20 seconds...

Strange!

Arnaud.
    CrackBerry User

i cant even find the blackberry maps icon and when i refresh gps at the setting, it show searching for satellite but no satellite found so far. why huh ?>

Do you have a clear view of the sky? It might take 30-40 minutes for the first link from satellites, there can be a lot of almanac data to download before the first position can be determined.

OTOH failing to find satellites is not a good sign. If you can't get a result I would suspect a defective GPS module.
    Last edited by branta; 10-21-2008 at 04:56 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    PIN
    2066b8ce

Sounds to me like you do not have a Data Plan in place. If the GPS is working and BB Maps displays the dashboard with the sattelites and the speed but no map then itis a data issue.
    You must have a data plan to use the BBmaps application and GPS.
    CrackBerry User

yes, i dont have a data plan. but from the option, advance, gps: to give the location, a data plan is not needed ?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Hi,

I still have the same problem that is described.
    I think that I do not have the data plan. It give me my position, speed etc, but it doesn't place me on a map!

Google map is working, but Amaze don't (communication problem!).

Thanks god, I buy it to make phone calls (hi hi).

Arnaud.

It is easy to see if you have the BB data plan.
    You requested BB data plan. or maybe didn't request to remove from a standard BB service package. Either way, its a paid extra above voice service so it should appear on your charges.
    AND
    You have (or are able to) setup BlackBerry email so messages arrive on the BB automatically.

Note - both points must be true, because setup errors can occur and the wrong data package is enabled. It *must* be BB data. Setting up email is the evidence it was applied correctly by your service provider.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by branta View Post
    It is easy to see if you have the BB data plan.
    You requested BB data plan. or maybe didn't request to remove from a standard BB service package. Either way, its a paid extra above voice service so it should appear on your charges.
    AND
    You have (or are able to) setup BlackBerry email so messages arrive on the BB automatically.

Note - both points must be true, because setup errors can occur and the wrong data package is enabled. It *must* be BB data. Setting up email is the evidence it was applied correctly by your service provider.
    Got a quick question. If I don't get the ATT Navigator monthly plan, would I be able to use the aGPS on Bold with Google Maps? Thanks!