Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default That issue with the lock key

Hi guys, I'm sure the answer is in the forum somewhere, but you get too many differing responses doing a search so hopefully someone can give me a quick answer.

When I upgraded to 5.x a few months back I hated not being able to lock and unlock the 9000 without having to supply a password so regressed to 4.x. I know a lot of people moaned about this at the time as well, so can anyone tell me if the new .822 OS has restored this functionality?

Doesn't have to be the same keys ("*" to lock and "*" and green phone to unlock), but I want something similar - my fingers are too fat to type in a password each time.

Ta in advance.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    PIN
    E

No. This is the way RIM intended it.

Maybe you shouldn't put a password.
    "Your arms too short to box with God.."

My Red 9700
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

That's what I mean. With 4.x I don't have to use a password, but with the first release of 5.x, if you didn't set a password, then you couldn't have a lock icon, and holding down "a" didn't do a proper lock of the phone, just put it into a sort of standby mode.

So has this changed for the 822 release? I want to be able to hold a key down to lock the keypad, and be able to press one or two buttons to unlock.

Ta.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by dancelikeamonkey View Post
    So has this changed for the 822 release? I want to be able to hold a key down to lock the keypad, and be able to press one or two buttons to unlock.

Ta.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    No. This is the way RIM intended it.

Maybe you shouldn't put a password.
    Your question has already been answered...
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

No it hasn't.

I asked if I could lock the keypad using a button, and unlock it with two buttons instead of needing a password and the answer was that "this is the way RIM intended it" and "maybe you shouldn't use a password".

So the answer appears to be that you do need a password, but you don't need a password. Clear as mud.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    PIN
    E

Quote Originally Posted by dancelikeamonkey View Post
    I asked if I could lock the keypad using a button, and unlock it with two buttons instead of needing a password and the answer was that "this is the way RIM intended it" and "maybe you shouldn't use a password".
    You forgot the "No." part of it.
    "Your arms too short to box with God.."

My Red 9700
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Lol - yeah, but the original reply said that it can be done without a password even though that's not what RIM intend you to do, so is that possible in the latest release?

My head hurts.
    Banned

PIN
    che gringo

No. You have to revert to 5.0.0.411 or earlier. On the old 4.6 pressing and holding the a (*) key locked out all the buttons until you pressed * send. This was the same as clicking the lock icon. On 411 and earlier you keep that feature. After 411, * will still lock it, but RIM assigned the unlock to the cheesy, unreliable, pos mute button. Bad batch of crack? Who knows. There have been a few threads on this. Others claim to enjoy poking at a balky, slightly recessed switch several times to get their phone unlocked. No accounting for taste I guess.

Edit: It's not like loading 822 is any kind of panacea. That OS has bugs like the rest of them. I'm happy as a pig in warm compost after going from 822 to 411.
    Last edited by palomartian; 09-27-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

there is an auto lock program (yes, i know some of you think it's redundant) that is really quite nice. it's called LockPlus and it's free. (none of other programs worked on the .822 os for me). to unlock your phone, hit the return key, then hold it for the predetermined number of seconds (found in the options).

lockplus for mobile download
    The true victory of Nichiren Buddhism is found in transforming misunderstanding into understanding, conflict into trust, and division into unity through the power of the Mystic Law. ~ Daisaku Ikeda, SGI-USA President
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Hmmm, interesting. I've stuck that autolock on, and the unlocking is exactly what I want, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to lock it without running the program (which is equally a pain in the aris as using a password to lock). Am I missing an option that lets you setup a shortcut key to run it?
    Banned

PIN
    che gringo

does it lock the side buttons?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    PIN
    249ED898

Quote Originally Posted by cntrydncr223 View Post
    there is an auto lock program (yes, i know some of you think it's redundant) that is really quite nice. it's called LockPlus and it's free. (none of other programs worked on the .822 os for me). to unlock your phone, hit the return key, then hold it for the predetermined number of seconds (found in the options).

lockplus for mobile download
    Looking for the free Lockplus. I'm only finding a trial version. Can you help?
    CrackBerry Genius

i just checked that link again, it's free.
    The true victory of Nichiren Buddhism is found in transforming misunderstanding into understanding, conflict into trust, and division into unity through the power of the Mystic Law. ~ Daisaku Ikeda, SGI-USA President
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    PIN
    249ED898

When I click the link, it takes me to Brothersoft website and says "no results found".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

just checked again, link is still good.
    maybe you need to type it in, or check your firewall.
    works perfectly fine for me, everytime.