Initialization Failed (SOS)
Hey guys, I need your help..Yes I have search the forum and tried all the options but I'm still getting it, here is what happens..
If I reload the latest firmware .1079, the phone comes on and works perfectly, I'm using DelftEo BB9000 v7.2
But from the time I open appworld and download anything that requires a reboot, after the phone restarts I get Initialization failed and cannot make any calls, even if I contiunally restart the phone, do battery pull, nothing helps..the only way it works again is by reloading the firmware.
Yes I have tried other stock bb9000 firmware and they all do the same thing..I have check the sim contacts, tried multiple sims, yes the phone is unlocked, everyting shows up as disabled..I dont know what to try any more and its driving me crazy..can someone please help me...thank you..
- 12-03-2011, 06:30 PM #2
- 12-03-2011, 10:47 PM #5
Don't get me wrong, but you cleaned your bb good with a wipe program and you tried to master clean it first in the menu, try to start again, do a master clean from the menu then wipe it good, make sure you don't have any os installed at your pc then the org 1079 os,then reload a org. Os the 1079, do no put back nothing no backup but a clean os, when it boot up and it work, try Alt-AA-Del to do a soft rest and see if it come back normal an works.
I think I undersatnd what you are saying..I currently have your hybrid OS on the phone, I will do the wipe from the phone (In the sercurity menu), then I will use JL_Cmdr, to do a full wipe. This will leave me with 507 error, then I will install the official stock 1079 firmware, and add nothing back to it, then do a soft reset and see what happens. I am going to try this now and let you know what happens.
Ok so I did exactly what you said and it works! I tried the soft reset TWICE and both times the phone read the SIM properly with no Initialization Failed error..What should I do now?
Do you think you know whats causing the problem?
- 12-04-2011, 10:41 AM #8
When it works ok, put back only your contacts and memo and important stuff from your dm backup and leave the most other. Check again with the reset test, when it still works ok, put back one by one your app. Because almost for sure one of the app you used has a conflict or something in your dm backup.
After you put back a app do the reset test to see of it still works ok, do this one by one.
This way you find the error or when everything works ok, I think it was a conflict you had with the different os you putted in. Now you are clean.
Make always sure you deleted other os's then the one you update, always ONE os installed in your pc. And do a good wipe.
Last edited by delfteo; 12-04-2011 at 10:47 AM.