Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. chinh8310's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default how to turn off password protection

    i turned on password protection but now i cant turn it off. the blackberry bold security menu is slightly different than the curve. i hit disabled entered in my password but it is still asking for password when i hit unlock. any way to take this off?
  2. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,139 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    You have to enter the password to complete the action to disable it. If you think about it, that makes sense. If someone found your BlackBerry while it was unlocked, they could change your password to something they knew and you didn't. Having to enter your password to complete the disabling protects you from that risk.

    Since I just told you how to disable your password, I must tell you why I think you shouldn't: Your friends' and family's personal, private information is in your call logs and address book. You can always get a new phone. Do you want some identity thief (or worse) having a family member's picture, home address, and phone number?

    You can also encrypt your microSD card separately. Depending on what you use it for, that might also be a good idea. It is not wiped when the bb wipes after 10 incorrect attempts. Obviously it can also be removed from the device and used separately, unless encrypted.

    How to Set A Password:

    Options / Security Options / General Settings /
    Password: Enabled
    Number of Password Attempts: 10
    Security Timeout: your choice
    Prompt on Application Install: No
    Lock Handheld Upon Holstering: your choice
    Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked: No
    Content Compression: Enabled
    Content Protection: Enabled
    Strength: Strong
    Include Address Book: No

    With these settings, your caller ID will still work, but if you lose your BlackBerry, no one can make calls on it and your friends' and family's personal information in your address book is protected.

    Press the Escape key. You'll be prompted to enter a password and verify it. BE SURE YOU REMEMBER IT. There is no way to bypass the password on a BlackBerry. If you forget it, you will have no choice but to wipe the BlackBerry back to its factory-out-of-the-box configuration, which deletes all user data and resets the password. You can then use the phone.

    It's also a good idea to put a number to call in case the BlackBerry is found in your owner info field. That way, if somebody finds your locked BlackBerry, they can call you to return it. I lost mine in the Washington DC Metro. Because it was locked with a number to call if found, I had it back in four hours.

    If you exceed your password attempts limit (defaults to 10, but you can set it as low as 3), you will be prompted one last time to type the word BlackBerry. The device will then wipe. It will be reset to the factory out-of-the-box condition, and the password reset. You will lose everything in the device memory, with no possibility of recovery. It will not reformat the microSD card, since that's not part of the factory configuration. The phone will still be usable, and the operating system will be unchanged. So this technique cannot be used to roll back from an OS upgrade problem.

    The preceding instructions are for locking your device. To password protect individual files, you need a third party application. The program linked in this thread purports to do that, but I have not used it and cannot vouch for it: FileLock
  3. djransom's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    919 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    You have to enter the password to complete the action to disable it. If you think about it, that makes sense. If someone found your BlackBerry while it was unlocked, they could change your password to something they knew and you didn't. Having to enter your password to complete the disabling protects you from that risk.

    Since I just told you how to disable your password, I must tell you why I think you shouldn't: Your friends' and family's personal, private information is in your call logs and address book. You can always get a new phone. Do you want some identity thief (or worse) having a family member's picture, home address, and phone number?

    You can also encrypt your microSD card separately. Depending on what you use it for, that might also be a good idea. It is not wiped when the bb wipes after 10 incorrect attempts. Obviously it can also be removed from the device and used separately, unless encrypted.

    How to Set A Password:

    Options / Security Options / General Settings /
    Password: Enabled
    Number of Password Attempts: 10
    Security Timeout: your choice
    Prompt on Application Install: No
    Lock Handheld Upon Holstering: your choice
    Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked: No
    Content Compression: Enabled
    Content Protection: Enabled
    Strength: Strong
    Include Address Book: No

    With these settings, your caller ID will still work, but if you lose your BlackBerry, no one can make calls on it and your friends' and family's personal information in your address book is protected.

    Press the Escape key. You'll be prompted to enter a password and verify it. BE SURE YOU REMEMBER IT. There is no way to bypass the password on a BlackBerry. If you forget it, you will have no choice but to wipe the BlackBerry back to its factory-out-of-the-box configuration, which deletes all user data and resets the password. You can then use the phone.

    It's also a good idea to put a number to call in case the BlackBerry is found in your owner info field. That way, if somebody finds your locked BlackBerry, they can call you to return it. I lost mine in the Washington DC Metro. Because it was locked with a number to call if found, I had it back in four hours.

    If you exceed your password attempts limit (defaults to 10, but you can set it as low as 3), you will be prompted one last time to type the word BlackBerry. The device will then wipe. It will be reset to the factory out-of-the-box condition, and the password reset. You will lose everything in the device memory, with no possibility of recovery. It will not reformat the microSD card, since that's not part of the factory configuration. The phone will still be usable, and the operating system will be unchanged. So this technique cannot be used to roll back from an OS upgrade problem.

    The preceding instructions are for locking your device. To password protect individual files, you need a third party application. The program linked in this thread purports to do that, but I have not used it and cannot vouch for it: FileLock
    It's different on the BOLD. Just got to Settings and then Password to turn it both ON & OFF.
  4. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,139 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djransom View Post
    It's different on the BOLD. Just got to Settings and then Password to turn it both ON & OFF.
    Wow. That's terrible. What's to keep someone from turning off the password on a Bold that's not protected by an IT Policy?
  5. chinh8310's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Wow. That's terrible. What's to keep someone from turning off the password on a Bold that's not protected by an IT Policy?
    no it still ask you to enter the password again to disabled. i appreciate your post though! all the settings are slightly changed versus the curve

    cant believe i totally missed the password part in settings. ***** move.
  6. mastercain's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    JeffH,

    Thanks for the suggestion of adding a phone number in the owner info field for a (BES) locked phone. I have lost my phone in the past a couple of times. I would have felt real bad if I were to lose my 8830 and not have a chance to get it back.

    Thanks again.
  7. Frak's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Is there a way to set the Bold to require a Password on power up. I liked that option on my old Sony phone, so that if anyone found my phone and powered it on, they could not do anything without a password. Thanks.
  8. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,139 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Just enable a password as I described in Post #2 above. It will be in effect anytime you turn on or reset your device, and after the specified timeout period. You can't set a password ONLY for power on.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Just enable a password as I described in Post #2 above. It will be in effect anytime you turn on or reset your device, and after the specified timeout period. You can't set a password ONLY for power on.
    It should be possible to set the SIM password. Look in the SIM options page. Be aware you only get 3 attempts before the SIM locks out and neeeds the PUK. 10 bad PUK attempts and the SIM locks permanently.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djransom View Post
    It's different on the BOLD. Just got to Settings and then Password to turn it both ON & OFF.
    The Bold menus are a bit different but all the settings are there if you look.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  11. SinCityGal's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    I'm new to the world of BlackBerry's and thought it would be really wonderful to password protect my Pearl. But now I can't turn it off, even if I wanted to. I find this VERY frustrating. Would like to know HOW at least. I see where it says "Disable"...you click it. Then it goes right back to password protecting it. What's the point?
  12. Kronk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,910 Posts
    PIN
    K underwear turns me on
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mastercain View Post
    JeffH,

    Thanks for the suggestion of adding a phone number in the owner info field for a (BES) locked phone. I have lost my phone in the past a couple of times. I would have felt real bad if I were to lose my 8830 and not have a chance to get it back.

    Thanks again.
    I like to put a phone number, email address, and "GPS Tracking Enabled"


    United States Air Force
  13. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,139 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SinCityGal View Post
    I'm new to the world of BlackBerry's and thought it would be really wonderful to password protect my Pearl. But now I can't turn it off, even if I wanted to. I find this VERY frustrating. Would like to know HOW at least. I see where it says "Disable"...you click it. Then it goes right back to password protecting it. What's the point?
    After you select "Disable," press the Escape key. You'll be prompted to enter the password to leave the security screen, but after that, it will be disabled. This is a security feature. You have to know the password to disable it.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SinCityGal View Post
    I'm new to the world of BlackBerry's and thought it would be really wonderful to password protect my Pearl. But now I can't turn it off, even if I wanted to. I find this VERY frustrating. Would like to know HOW at least. I see where it says "Disable"...you click it. Then it goes right back to password protecting it. What's the point?
    You probably need to SAVE the change. Then it will ask for the password again to permit the save.
  15. newbie_1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    my security timeout option is and my password (set to 'enabled') is also lock - how do i unlock these?
  16. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,139 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    If by locked you mean there is a small red padlock icon with the timeout and password options and you can't change them, that means your device has an IT Policy controlling those functions. You won't be able to change them. What's an IT Policy? An IT Policy is the way a company enforces its IT Security rules on BlackBerry's that have inside-the-firewall access. These devices have BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) accounts instead of the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) accounts that consumer users typically have.

    BES users get over the air synching of their Calendar, Email, Address Book, Tasks, and Memos. In return, they accept that the company can monitor all their email, log their phone calls, and in general control every aspect of their phone: whether they can install apps, use the Media Card or Bluetooth, or access the internet, for example.

    IT Policies can be very strict to benign. Mine, for example, only requires me to use a password and Content Protection and sets the max timeout to 30 minutes.

    If you have an employer-provided phone, and attempt to remove the IT Policy, your attempt will be detected the next time you attempt to log on to the company servers, the IT policy will be pushed back on your phone, and you could face severe disciplinary consequences for violating security.
  17. a10hog's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    So this IT policy can control if you have a password or not? The enabled is grayed out and has a pad lock on it... And I cant change it...
  18. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,139 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    That's correct. An IT policy can (and often does) mandate a password. That's typical for BlackBerry devices in a corporate environment. If you bought it used for personal use, you can remove the policy. If this is your work phone, you can't.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  19. Laura Knotek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Geek

    Posts
    11,690 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,361 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    What is the timeout period for a password-enabled BlackBerry on BIS? I noticed in the one post that you can specify not to lock when holstered, but I did not see anything about how long until it locks.
  20. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,139 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    The timeout is user-selectable, from as little as 1 minute to as much as an hour. The timeout can also be controlled by an IT policy. Mine restricts the maximum timeout to 30 minutes.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  21. Laura Knotek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Geek

    Posts
    11,690 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,361 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    The timeout is user-selectable, from as little as 1 minute to as much as an hour. The timeout can also be controlled by an IT policy. Mine restricts the maximum timeout to 30 minutes.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ok. I'm on BIS, not BES. 1 hr. is not long enough for me, so I will keep the password disabled.
  22. a10hog's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    That's correct. An IT policy can (and often does) mandate a password. That's typical for BlackBerry devices in a corporate environment. If you bought it used for personal use, you can remove the policy. If this is your work phone, you can't.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Man big brother gets you in all kinds of ways....
  23. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,139 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a10hog View Post
    Man big brother gets you in all kinds of ways....
    It's not Big Brother if it's your employer's phone and data. IT policies are why some people carry a personal phone as well as a company-issued device.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  24. a10hog's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    It's not Big Brother if it's your employer's phone and data. IT policies are why some people carry a personal phone as well as a company-issued device.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yep I'm one of those guys... I carry both.......
  25. LittleRedDot's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,339 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    It should be possible to set the SIM password. Look in the SIM options page. Be aware you only get 3 attempts before the SIM locks out and neeeds the PUK. 10 bad PUK attempts and the SIM locks permanently.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I didn't know this was an option. I went into the the SIM menu to turn on password protection, and it asked my for the SIM #. What is the sim #?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions