Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How to keep trackball clean

I just picked one of these up, so my only experience prior was with the trackpad of the 9900. I love the relic but how does one keep the ball clean? Right now (besides my bis not connecting grrr) my issue is I can't scroll down. It was working fine until this morning.

And now the ball will physically move down but I can't I can't scroll, it makes using the phone impossible..

Thanks
    Moto Rokr E1 > Moto SLVR > Pantech Duo > HTC G1 > Blackberry Bold 9700 > Bold 9900 > HTC G2 & BB 9000 > Z10 > Q10 > Z30 > Passport!
    Tmobile USA - Prepaid $30 per month! (100 min, 5GB at 4G/LTE, unlmtd sms) + VoIP
    Don't Panic
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of phones: BB!

Once properly cleaned (or replaced) my solution was to never pocket it without a case or holster to avoid lint/debris. Also, be careful not to use the trackball with lotion or anything else on your hands.

Consider looking around for a couple other videos for additional tips that this video doesn't hit (search trackball blackberry 9000 clean) Another option as mentioned is to order a new trackball (or 2 or 3) and replace it.

It was recently pointed out to me that SugarSync was still in my signature, and no longer available for free. It was a nice (free) ride, SugarSync, but I'm seeing Box and Dropbox now, via BB10 integration.
    Thanked by:
    austriker (01-11-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Try putting a microfiber cloth on it, then press down and roll the ball around. After a tiny bit you will be surprised how much gunk can get in them. I used to do this periodically to one of them I have, the other was never used enough to need it.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for the vid and tips. That worked perfectly! I ordered a new from ebay..
    Moto Rokr E1 > Moto SLVR > Pantech Duo > HTC G1 > Blackberry Bold 9700 > Bold 9900 > HTC G2 & BB 9000 > Z10 > Q10 > Z30 > Passport!
    Tmobile USA - Prepaid $30 per month! (100 min, 5GB at 4G/LTE, unlmtd sms) + VoIP
    Don't Panic

An alcohol swab or very lightly wetted with alcohol cloth works well. Just be sure to keep the alcohol LIGHT. Every few days cleaning kept my trackball working just fine.