Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How do I load my Windows Contacts to Blackberry Bold

Hey Guys,

I just got my Bold today and I'm trying to upload my Windows Contact list off of Vista onto my Bold. Whenever I try to Sync the Bold on my Blackberry Desktop Manager it gives me an error msg.

I've already ran a search and haven't turned up any helpful info.

Can anybody direct me to a "how to" on how to upload my windows contact list (vcards) onto my new bb.

Thanks!

Danny A.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts

You can import the vcards into Outlook, then sync them to the Bold, but you're going to have to solve the sync issue before any approach will work. Post the error message that you are getting when you try to synch and someone may be able to help you solve the problem.
    CrackBerry Master

This seems to be similar to the problem I've been having for YEARS! I have NEVER been able to get BB desktop manager to even INSTALL on Vista. After trying compatibility modes, not using media sync (Vista has a KNOWN and NEVER FIXED compatibility issue with Roxio.. Microsoft recommends UNINSTALLING Roxio to fix it) and everything else I can think of, I did the only other thing I could think of... I installed BB Desktop on my sons Xp machine and have been happy... till now when his laptop has died under what we like to call "YOU HAVE TO UPLUG THE THING IF YOU SPILL COKE ALL OVER IT NOT KEEP TRYING TO RESTART IT."

So.... if ANYONE has any suggestions on how to even get desktop manager to INSTALL on vista try me. And the answer isn't

1. Use Xp compatibility mode/ install as an Admin
    2. D/l the latest manager from RIM
    3. Uninstall Roxio
    4. use an Xp machine

Seriously, there HAS to be a way to do it. Luckily, a month ago I installed the latest OS to my curve 8130 and have documents to go and video... (thanks crackberry forums) but that was on the now dead Xp machine.

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Kind of 'roundabout, but...

I know this will sound like a really 'roundabout way but it could be worth a try! Can you get one of your friends with an XP laptop to help you? You could transfer your contacts to their laptop then install the BB software to the laptop and, from there, install the contacts to your Bold. Personally I refuse to use Vista and, thank goodness, Toshiba will still build laptops with XP-PRO! I just had them build me a high-end laptop at a great price and am able to interface perfectly with my Bold! So if you can find someone to help you that way, you should have no problem porting over your contacts. Hope that helps.

Shell
    CrackBerry Master

I may have figured it out. BB desktop manager relies on Roxio for the media manager, and even though I've already tried to install it without media manager included, it still won't work because there is an incompatibility between Roxio and DELL Vista computers.

When I tried and gave up on this problem months ago, there was no roxio/dell vista patch. Now there appears to be one.

I can't post an URL since I'm not up to 10 posts yet, so put the abbreviation for hyper text transfer protocol and a couple back slashes.... infront of the following to get to the Roxio Dell patch.

kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000131CR

I'm going to try it and will be back to report if it works!

See you in as much time as it takes to get it working, or epically fail trying.
    CrackBerry Master

It's working!

It took HELLA long to load and process, and I thought that Roxio was going to die several times, but it finally worked... almost like a charm once I d/l the Roxio patch. Outlook contacts synchronized flawlessly.

I hope this works for you too!