CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How to check Bold OS version?

Title says it all. How does one check whether one has the latest OS version on one's Bold?

Also, do all components get upgraded as a group? Or does RIM ever offer upgrades to particular apps by themselves?

Also, does RIM provide any optional downloadable apps of their own separate from the app store for third parties?
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by AppDevGuy View Post
    Title says it all. How does one check whether one has the latest OS version on one's Bold?
    Options - About

Third line down will give you Bold OS version.
    CrackBerry User

Mine says V4.6.0.162 ist good old new bad and how i update it ???
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Zack81, You are not at the latest version.

I have no idea whether the latest version is better. Saw one guy's signature indicates he updated thru a series of versions including .237 and .247 and then he backed up to .237.

I wonder about regressions when updating. How often does RIM break things with their updates?
  5. K B
    CrackBerry Genius

Zack - .162 is old but up to date for your carrier. AppDev - you probably have .167, which is ditto - old but up to date for your carrier. My carrier's official OS is .162.

Everyone will have a different opinion when it comes to the best OS to use. Some swear by .185, I now use .216, others are at .237 and .247.

Some people use and love beta OS's - I am using an official release through AVEA, which is not my carrier. And .247, which is stickied on the first page of this forum, is another official release through another carrier. Some people like it, some do not.

I can say that I think .216 works really well - good memeory, good battery life - and I will stick with it until I have really good reasons to change it, which I haven't seen yet.

Instruction on how to update your OS are in the sticky. But I would get to know your phone really well before doing that.
    CrackBerry Genius

If you aren't experiencing issues that would require a 'fix' by upgrading your phone's OS, then don't do it. If you're comfortable with your phone and want to get the most out of it (and are willing to risk the life of your 'berry), then by all means, update to the latest OS. Try a few out to see which works best for you. Word of caution, please READ the instructions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

KareBare,

Yes, my Bold is at .167 and I recently got it from AT&T.

Do the carriers automatically push out updates? Or do they send out messages suggesting when it is a good idea to update?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    PM Me !!

Quote Originally Posted by AppDevGuy View Post

Also, do all components get upgraded as a group? Or does RIM ever offer upgrades to particular apps by themselves?

Also, does RIM provide any optional downloadable apps of their own separate from the app store for third parties?
    Menu - Options - About
    ALT+SHIFT+H - App Version
    In SMS / Email - type Myver and press space bar
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    PM Me !!

Quote Originally Posted by zack81 View Post
    Mine says V4.6.0.162 ist good old new bad and how i update it ???
    OS .162 is quite old but if you have no problems with it, do not upgrade. If you have memory leaks / battery drain, then upgrade to a latest release. The latest official release is .247 ...

Check out my signature for links on how to upgrade the OS. Make sure you do enough research before doing it, if this is your first upgrade.... Good Luck !!