Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Do you think the leaks/official releases for 5.0 are coming to an end?

It seems like it's been a while since I loaded 5.0.0.681 on my 9000. I suppose with the upcoming release of OS 6, RIM will probably stop development of updates to OS 5.0.

Do you think .681 will be the last? Or is there still some life left in 5.0?
    BlackBerry Passport (10.3.0.1418), Microsoft Surface 2 (Windows 8.1 RT)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

No, I do not think that the leaks of OS 5 wil stop. I do think however that they will slow down and for two reasons.

- OS 5 is more stabe now and requires fewer updates.
    - OS 6 is taking the major amount of resources within RIM
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,876 Global Posts
    PIN
    Light Saber

Default new OS releases

I agree with Pete6. Probably just a few tweaks for OS 5 and that will be that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Few tweaks, the hype is down. ATT won't even release theirs I bet.
    CrackBerry User

I'm on AT&T and want 5.0!

I hope they release it..
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    33,466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spielll View Post
    I'm on AT&T and want 5.0!

I hope they release it..
    No need to wait for them. I've been running some version of 5.0 since last fall. Just delete the vendor .xml file. 5.0.0.681 from Optus is great.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    No need to wait for them. I've been running some version of 5.0 since last fall. Just delete the vendor .xml file. 5.0.0.681 from Optus is great.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    I've been thinking about that, however I'm only so tech-savy and can't afford to brick my phone. I'm afraid I'll somehow mess this up and not have my beloved blackberry.

I'm just tired of AT&T. I've been a customer for a while, but this is my first Blackberry. They only seem to be concentrating on iPhone stuff. I seldom call them for support anymore because they never have an answer!

Very strongly considering switching carriers after this contract is up.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Default Yep - Optus .681 is great!

I'm on At&T as well, and the Optus 5.0.0.681 is great! Very stable, improved batterry performance than AT&T's latest 4.6 version of the OS, and a better UI. I strongly recommend to anyone and everyone to upgrade to this version if you are on AT&T.

EDIT: Just noticed the latest post, and I can say that I too have been a long time AT&T user, and this too is my first Blackberry. I was very hesitant about trying any "un-official" OS's, but after reading all of the glowing comments about Optus .681 I took the plunge. It was like having a new phone again! I should point out that where I am not a fan-boy of AT&T's by a long shot, I have come to appreciate the level of testing that they do on an OS prior to releasing it as official - as evidenced by other carriers who seem more than willing to release an OS prior to it being fully tested. I'm not bad mouthing Verizon at all, but I don't believe that they have any better tech support for Blackberries than AT&T. One final thought is that the 9000 has been out for 20 months or so, and is definitely at the end of its life cycle. It may be too much to ask of a carrier to keep current on official new OS releases when they are coming out with newer and better products - 9700 and soon to be released 9800. Take the plunge with the non-official version - the water's fine!
    Last edited by Turk54; 07-09-2010 at 04:45 PM.