CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Do you drain your Battery before charging?

Just wondering if you guys drain your battery completely before charging? (Personally with the history of my phones, the battery tend to last longer this way) I tend to drain mine by turning on 3g+2g, WIFI and play videos over and over till the last bar is finally drain. I am just wondering anyone what techniques you guys use to drain it.
    Time Lord

Global Posts
    10,331 Global Posts

Lithium Ion batteries have no "memory effect", thus making he draining process irrelevant, but I still know lots of people who do it, but I find it does nothing anyways, so to answer your question specifically...I don't drain my battery.
    “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Smartwatch Fans]
  3. PvT
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,161 Global Posts
    PIN
    KOPF

I've seen lots of discussion on this topic here on CB and definitely mixed opinions. In theory one doesn't need to. My belief is that it's good to do at least in the early stages. A full drain and a full uninterupted charge. Then not to worry about it.

So I say... I don't worry about it... then again I am still drawn to do the odd complete drain.

How to drain... use GPS, wifi... play games so the light stays on, surf the web... go a couple days (if you can) without charging...

I think we'll see some different opinions posting here real soon...
    I am not young enough to know everything.
    Oscar Wilde
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    G request could not find host.

I'm pretty sure frequently draining the battery is not good for it.

Reduces the life expentency or something

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,264 Global Posts
    PIN
    G-14 classified / PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Lithium Ion batteries have no "memory effect", thus making he draining process irrelevant, but I still know lots of people who do it, but I find it does nothing anyways, so to answer your question specifically...I don't drain my battery.
    Ditto...those days are gone where your rechargeable batteries would hold a memory if you recharged it before it completely drained. I still have my original battery and it still lasts a full day even though I have topped it off at diferent times of its drainage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

I think overcharged battery is the culprit that damaged battery life (charging the batt overnight). i personally drained my battery once a week when i remember.

Lithium ion batteries do not respond well to full discharge, you will see reduced capacity and early failure if it happens too often. In any case it is not possible to overcharge the battery on a BlackBerry because the battery and phone have enough intelligence to control the charge (unless the battery is already defective).

Take a Bold and connect the charger, you will see the charging icon on the battery meter appear. With fully discharged battery it will charge for several hours before the charge icon disappears. If the battery is 90% charged (10% discharge) you will see the charging icon disappear after a few minutes.

My advice is to keep the battery topped up whenever possible. even a few minutes charging will help. It will help your battery survive longer, and it means you are less likely to get trapped by that long call with a low battery.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

perhaps a change of topic .. what about with a new batter ?? what is everyone's procedure ?? drain fully than charge uniterupted(sp?) (its late) for 12+ hrs ??
    PLAYBOOK
    CrackBerry User

Litium Ion batteries DO NOT LIKE TO BE Deep discharged. Once you discharge them below a certian voltage per cell, they are permanently damaged. I work in the battery test dept at a Global Power Tool manufacturer. I've been testing Litium Ion batteries for MONTHS and MONTHS. Just top them off when they get low. They prefer that. And will last longer, alot longer. Also dont get them hot for extended periods of time, like leaving them in the car during the summer time all day while you are in the office or whatever. Heat is the enemy of Lithium Ion Phosphate.......
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Wow I guess I am still living in the stone age regarding Mobile phone charging. Weirdly i not only drain my battery before charging i always switch it off while charging. I guess its time to change for the better