Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Device Turning itself "OFF" on it's own...

Hello,

I have a member that has a Rogers (ISP) Bold BB and the device Turns itself "OFF". It has been doing this ever since he received it a month ago. I have wiped the device and installed the new firmware (A4.6.0.162).

The issus is still happening. I asked the member when it does this and there is no common instance, in his words "it just does it whenever it wants too".

He had a similar problem when had a 8800. I think he may be grabbing the BB a certain way and turning itself "OFF"... just a thought. Is there any Short Cut Keys that turn the device OFF without asking to be Turn OFF?

Thank you for your help.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    ask

does it turn itself back on
    or just turn off
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

It Turns Itself "OFF" which is not great since the Bold takes so long to Turn on.

Thanks for looking at this question.

Michael
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24AD7667

It shouldn't take long for the bold to turn on....only if it reboots it should take long. If software update has not helped and its rebooting try paper shim in battery compartment. Maybe its loose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    ask

check your file free
    options--->status

You're getting the full white screen reboot? That's not the simple shutdown and fast start you would get from pressing the red hang-up / power key (that's more like a PC standby or hibernate).

Several possible causes come to mind.

Battery not secure (tight fit), and movement breaks the circuit.
    Faulty PCB with a cracked track or bad soldering
    Low battery charge and it shuts down because the voltage is not high enough.

The keyboard reboot is rather like the PC three fingered salute, except its even more difficult to achieve. Alt-RtShift-Delete. Not something likely to be keyed by accident.

Is there anything in the logfile when it reboots? Hold 'Alt' and key 'LGLG'
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks, I tried t look at the Log File on my Bold once I removed the battery but when I Hold 'Alt' and key 'LGLG' when the Device is rebooting (Only thing on screen was small clock in center of window) nothing happens.

Do I use this method when Device is showing white screen with clock in the middle or after with Rogers (Canada ISP) logo is starting?

thanks

Logfile - oops I meant After the restart. When your reboot is completed and you're at the Home screen. No idea if it retains anything from before the reboot, but you should find out soon
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Thanks, figured it out after I sent the Post, thanks again.
    CrackBerry User

to be honest, save yourself the hassle and return the phone for a new one. I had this exact same problem and did the quick fix of putting my business card between the battery and the battery cover. It worked for the most part, but it would still reboot every now and then. I could live with this, but last week it finally died on me. The unit would'n't turn on regardless of what I did (batt pull, removed sim, plugged into charger/usb with and without battery, etc.). Luckily it was still under warranty and I'm now waiting for my replacement. Hopefully this new one will be better.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

How long did you have your Bold? or was it another BB?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi, I do have a different model but this is the most relavent thread I could find. I have an 8300 and it started turning itself off. It would do it if I were using many apps. I thought maybe my battery was dying but I could pull the battery and it would turn back on and show quite a bit of battery life left. No big deal. It started doing it more frequently so I started using it less, it still turned itself off. Eventually pulling the battery quit working. It would show that I had 3/4 charge of the battery but would just shut off. I would have to plug it back in to get it to come back on and it comes on and after maybe two minutes on the charger says battery is full. So I ordered a replacement. The replacement phone is doing the same thing. I have not installed any third-party apps on this phone. One thing though...when AT&T sends out a replacement phone they don't send it with a battery, you have to use your old battery. Even though the phone is showing my battery as full could it be just a bad battery? It fits snug in the device but the only common link between the two phones is the battery and the sim card.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mshume View Post
    Hello,

He had a similar problem when had a 8800. I think he may be grabbing the BB a certain way and turning itself "OFF"... just a thought. Is there any Short Cut Keys that turn the device OFF without asking to be Turn OFF?

Thank you for your help.
    When he bought his Bold, did he use the New Device Wizard? This carries all the settings to the new device. I think that it may be programmed to turn off at a certain time. Does it do it always at the same time?
    Check Options>> Auto On/Off.

Just a thought...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccamc6 View Post
    Hi, I do have a different model but this is the most relavent thread I could find. I have an 8300 and it started turning itself off. It would do it if I were using many apps. I thought maybe my battery was dying but I could pull the battery and it would turn back on and show quite a bit of battery life left. No big deal. It started doing it more frequently so I started using it less, it still turned itself off. Eventually pulling the battery quit working. It would show that I had 3/4 charge of the battery but would just shut off. I would have to plug it back in to get it to come back on and it comes on and after maybe two minutes on the charger says battery is full. So I ordered a replacement. The replacement phone is doing the same thing. I have not installed any third-party apps on this phone. One thing though...when AT&T sends out a replacement phone they don't send it with a battery, you have to use your old battery. Even though the phone is showing my battery as full could it be just a bad battery? It fits snug in the device but the only common link between the two phones is the battery and the sim card.
    I think the problem you MAY BE having involves the battery not being calibrated. Basically the device thinks it's almost empty and hence shuts down to save power. Instead the battery is not empty!

To fix this, try draining the battery 100% so that it is actually empty. Then charge it until it stops charging without disconnecting it.

Let us know if it helps!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Thank you, I will have the member try this and let you know...

thanks
    CrackBerry Newbie

thanks I will give this a try

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccamc6 View Post
    Even though the phone is showing my battery as full could it be just a bad battery? It fits snug in the device but the only common link between the two phones is the battery and the sim card.
    Battery calibration is a contender. Most Li-ion batteries have built-in intelligence to control the charging. If the battery loses the plot and thinks the charge stae is different it will command a shutdown.

The usual recalibration involves running until truly discharged, then recharging fully. If the battery processor keeps shutting you down at 50% this can be difficult to achieve

Fortunately batteries are easy to replace.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by mshume View Post
    How long did you have your Bold? or was it another BB?
    I had my bold for almost two months (I got it on launch day), but I experienced problems in the first week. As long as you called customer service during your initial 30 days after purchase and told them about your issues, they should exchange your bold for a brand new unit (even if you've had it longer than 30 days).
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

same problem here, my bold keeps turning itself on and off ramdomly, sometimes twice a day and sometimes a dozen times a day, ive tried shaking my phone to see if is battery thats not getting good circuiting but its not, memory is always at least 24mb, im running .167. any thoughts???