CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Delete vendor.xml file necessary?

I am NOT very knowledgeable about these things, so this might sound like a noob question, but I'm curious to know if deleting the vendor.xml file is necessary?

The reason I ask is that I have upgraded my OS twice now ( latest is 162 ), and both times, all I ever needed to do was download the OS and follow the prompts when Desktop Manager opened. Am I missing something?

As far as I know, both upgrades have been successful as my phone shows as running the latest version...

If anyone has any input, that would be cool. Cheers!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    4,847 Global Posts

From what I understand having just upgraded my 8820 to the Australia/Fiji 4.5.x update is you need to remove that file so your carrier specific pieces restore from the back up. I could be wrong but so far mine has work without issue and my ATT stuff is where it should be.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by incognito.girly View Post
    I am NOT very knowledgeable about these things, so this might sound like a noob question, but I'm curious to know if deleting the vendor.xml file is necessary?

The reason I ask is that I have upgraded my OS twice now ( latest is 162 ), and both times, all I ever needed to do was download the OS and follow the prompts when Desktop Manager opened. Am I missing something?

As far as I know, both upgrades have been successful as my phone shows as running the latest version...

If anyone has any input, that would be cool. Cheers!
    When installing ANY OS that is NOT from YOUR carrier it IS necessary to delete the Vendor XML file. Otherwise, it will NOT install to device.
    Thanked by:
    LeeTheRed (07-27-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

As Crucial Xtreme indicates: if you are using an OS update from another vendor than your own, you need to remove the vendor.xml file.

However: it does not apply to beta releases. I just went from 4.6.0.150 up to 4.6.0.162 without removing the vendor.xml and it worked fine. The beta releases are the only exception to this rule. Otherwise, Crucial Xtreme's words are 'right on the money'.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    207BA13F

The reason for able upgrading beta OS without delete vendor file is the vendor file for beta OS is a empty file.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

How about if i want to change the vendor?
    Banned

PIN
    G

vendor file is as stated empty on BETA's , but MUST be deleted on official versions
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

As Crucial_Extreme said, unless the OS you downloaded came from your carrier's site then you should delete the Vendor.xml file. It is the only way to be certain.

The easiest way to do this is to download CrackMem (the link is in my signature). CrackMem was designed to manage the whole vendor.xml, pre-OS install memory management process.

It is free and has so far been downloaded over 2000 time. It works.
    Thanked by:
    jorgeisaza69 (03-17-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Could someone specify which XML file needs to be deleted? There are like three XML files in the rim folder containing the apploader.

Thanks
    In God We Trust
    CrackBerry User

OK, so if I'm using the upgrade directly from Verizon's site (and I have a verizon phone) then I don't need to delete the vendor file, right?
    Jedi Master

Global Posts
    5,331 Global Posts
    PIN
    cushion

that is correct kit02 you don't need to delete it

and dmcgrady it is in c/program files/commonfiles/research in motion/shared/loader files click on your os and it should be the last file it will say vendor xml or takes petes advice at the middle of the page and use crackmem
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Pete6 View Post
    As Crucial_Extreme said, unless the OS you downloaded came from your carrier's site then you should delete the Vendor.xml file. It is the only way to be certain.

The easiest way to do this is to download CrackMem (the link is in my signature). CrackMem was designed to manage the whole vendor.xml, pre-OS install memory management process.

It is free and has so far been downloaded over 2000 time. It works.
    No it doesn't. Not on the 64 bit version of windows Vista home premium. Not really a big deal for me since manually removing the files doesn't really bother me

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,995 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    When installing ANY OS that is NOT from YOUR carrier it IS necessary to delete the Vendor XML file. Otherwise, it will NOT install to device.
    And the church says, "AMEN"...

It is not that hard people... haha and deleting the vendor.xml file does not hurt a thing and is simple to do, so why not just delete it and move on??

Quote Originally Posted by dmcgrady View Post
    Could someone specify which XML file needs to be deleted? There are like three XML files in the rim folder containing the apploader.

Thanks
    lmao... the vendor.xml file... the one that everyone in this thread is asking about!

If you seriously cannot figure out this step in the upgrade process, then I really question whether or not you should really be upgrading your OS
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 11-06-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    No longer a CrackBerry addict. Moved to Android - could not be happier!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,995 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by giantfan30 View Post
    No it doesn't. Not on the 64 bit version of windows Vista home premium. Not really a big deal for me since manually removing the files doesn't really bother me

And, yes... CrackMem does work on 64-bit Vista! It has been tested... you need to run the program as administrator
    No longer a CrackBerry addict. Moved to Android - could not be happier!
    CrackBerry User

I understand how to delete the vendor.xml file, my question is:

If I delete it, do I void the warranty on my phone? I want to delete ptt and a few other progs that I don't use b/c my phone is being buggy. If that doesn't help and it does turn out to be a phone issue, will ATT not honor my warranty if the vendor file is gone?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    20CE8C39

I installed the official .190 from another carrier and didn't need to delete the vendor.xml file.

Could this be because my phone is unlocked?
    Bold OS: .162 --> .167 --> .185 --> .190 --> .194 --> .201 --> .210 --> .214 --> .215 --> .216 --> .217 -->.219 --> .234 --> .301 (Current OS) --> .WhatsNext

RIM 2009-10 Device Road Map

"Once you go BlackBerry you never go back!" -
    Waiting patiently for the BB Storm to come to AT&T
    Need a custom ringtone? I can make one for you.
    Follow me on twitter tsaunders
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    20CE8C39

Quote Originally Posted by Razz_Berry View Post
    I understand how to delete the vendor.xml file, my question is:

If I delete it, do I void the warranty on my phone? I want to delete ptt and a few other progs that I don't use b/c my phone is being buggy. If that doesn't help and it does turn out to be a phone issue, will ATT not honor my warranty if the vendor file is gone?
    This file is on your computer they won't know you deleted it.

You do need to restore your phone or at least put on the current OS from your carrier before turning the phone back in.
    Bold OS: .162 --> .167 --> .185 --> .190 --> .194 --> .201 --> .210 --> .214 --> .215 --> .216 --> .217 -->.219 --> .234 --> .301 (Current OS) --> .WhatsNext

RIM 2009-10 Device Road Map

"Once you go BlackBerry you never go back!" -
    Waiting patiently for the BB Storm to come to AT&T
    Need a custom ringtone? I can make one for you.
    Follow me on twitter tsaunders
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaicShock View Post
    This file is on your computer they won't know you deleted it.
    Guess I don't understand how to delete the file as well as I thought if it's on the computer and not the phone.

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

im confused myself now....i just upgraded my os from .190 (beta) to .217(beta)

and when i deleted eth vendor file...and reconnected my BB...it would not prompt for an upgrade or anything...i didnt know what i was doing wrong....

then i tried installing the OS again...then i left teh vendor file in there and connected...and then it did promp for the upgrade...

and i kno wit upgraded bc i checked the phone about page...and also i have teh home screen glitch that happens with .217

so why is mine backwards?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

I guess I just don't have a clue! I can find the file, went through the install wizard and from there I don't know what to do. Tried to update device and it says I am current with 246. Can someone help guide this dummy?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    PIN
    28C6E889

Busy doing upgrade. It is usually recommended to wipe device first or can you just upgrade via Desktop software?
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,580 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhleroux View Post
    Busy doing upgrade. It is usually recommended to wipe device first or can you just upgrade via Desktop software?
    I do not wipe first, nor do I use Desktop Manager for upgrades.

I use the method shown here.