470 ish... The weird thing is that I actually have a few contacts that do not now give me the option of deleting them. When syncing they used to be stripped from my Mac but retained on my Blackberry Bold... I've now entered them in as contacts directly to the Mac Address Book and they synced fine after that but I now have seemingly undeleteable duplicates that remain on the device! Ever so strange...
- 11-26-08, 10:34 PM #11
This worked for me:
Connect via Blackberry Desktop Manager
From Main Menu, click Backup and Restore
From Backup and Restore, click Advanced
You should get a list of device databases on the right. Select Address Book and click Clear, and then select Address Book - All and click Clear. (If you do the "All" step first, you might not have to do the other one.)
- CrackBerry Newbie
07-12-09, 10:10 PM #15
- 9 Posts
If you just need to wipe contacts from the handheld and are on a mac:
1. Go into your address book
2. Hit the Option key and choose options
3. Type "rset"
4. Yes to clear all address book data.
that should do it. Us mac people are screwed without Desktop manager, and as much as I love missing sync, somethings are just easier from the handheld. Cheers!
- CrackBerry Abuser
07-16-09, 05:06 PM #16
- 142 Posts
All of my contacts are still there.
I really want to get rid of the three that are stuck on there and refuse to be deleted.
I am on Mac and used PocketMac. But first I used vcards from my Mac to my Vista VM. I guess there was some corruption somewhere.
edit - Sorry I have a Storm.
- 07-20-09, 10:30 AM #18
- 08-03-09, 05:07 PM #21
That's a GREAT shortcut! At some point, using Pocketmac, my addressbook doubled in size, and this got rid of the duplicates, but all of the other ones are still there. When i look at the size of my address book, the blackberry reports 0 entries, yet, there are still several hundred in there. The last time, the folks at Blackberry said to wipe the phone. this will be the third time i'm going to have to do that.
Does anyone have any thoughts on why this might be happening?
The folks at Pocketmac refer you to blackberry unless you want to pay for their service.
Thank G-D Desktop Manager for MAC will be out this fall!
- 01-09-10, 03:25 PM #24
I am on my 3rd 8330 (spontaneous restarts, duplicate undeletable addresses, and again duplicate undeletable addresses) and have been going nuts with the address book.
I also have a Mac, and am really suspicious that the BB folks don't know about Mac programming since most of the complainers of duplicate undeletable addresses seem to be Mac folks.
Anyway, Nick@net's advice was just what I needed. None of the Sprint stores (Shenandoah Valley, Richmond, DC metro) know how to wipe the address book, and now I'm ready to start re-entering a couple hundred addresses.
And no, I won't sync using the Mac - I'll install the PC version on a PC only machine and save myself some grief, or know that the problem is not just Mac users.
Great forum - thanks again!
- 01-20-10, 09:10 PM #25
(Relatively) Quick fix using Gmail
Hey, I just figured out another way. I had over 7300 duplicate contacts show up over about 24 hours, for some unknown reason. This got rid of them. It may take some time (took me about 3 hours, or about 2400 contacts deleted an hour).
1. Sync your contacts with Gmail using Google sync on your blackberry.
2. Go to Google mail, then click on contacts on the left side.
3. Click on Find Duplicates on the right side. This will automatically find most, if not all of the duplicates.
4. Select any remaining items that are the same (up to 10 at a time), and click on the merge hyperlink on the right. Repeat as necessary. Your list is now cleansed.
5. On your blackberry, under Downloads, select Google Sync. Left click, select options, left click and select Reset Contacts Sync. This will ask you if you want to delete ALL contacts from your handheld. Select Delete.
6. Wait until all contacts are deleted. This took the longest portion of the time mentioned above. Select Google Sync again, left click, then select Sync Now.
7. Google will sync your cleaned contacts from Gmail to your handheld. You are now done.
Hope this helps everyone.