Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Defrag

Is there any need to defrag memory like you do on a PC? If so, how?
    CrackBerry Genius

No there isnt as far as im aware. You dont exactly defrag memory...defragging is to do with the hard drive and theres no hard drive in the Bold.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,362 Global Posts

While I have no real knowledge of the memory system on the Bold (or any blackberry for that matter), I don't believe it is necessary to defrag anything that only has flash memory. Defragging on the PC is generally only necessary because of the rotational lag you get from waiting for the disc to spin around to the next part of any particular file. Putting them close together reduces the lag. At least that's how it's been explained to me in the past.
    --
    applejosh
    Retired Bold 9000 user
    CrackBerry Addict

Defragging is practical on a hard drive because it uses arms inside to access the discs. What defragging does is moves data around to make it more efficient so that those arms don't have to travel everywhere to get one piece of data, it sort of organizes it so that it has to look in less places. Because the bold uses flash memory there are no moving parts so there really isn't any reason to defrag.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    PIN
    NA

Quote Originally Posted by tekneakz View Post
    Defragging is practical on a hard drive because it uses arms inside to access the discs. What defragging does is moves data around to make it more efficient so that those arms don't have to travel everywhere to get one piece of data, it sort of organizes it so that it has to look in less places. Because the bold uses flash memory there are no moving parts so there really isn't any reason to defrag.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Defragmenting a filesystem moves blocks of a file so that they are contiguous. While it does improve seek time drastically - there can be benefits to "defragmenting" memory - that is keeping related data contiguous. But it has to do with cache performance.

The other benefit of defragmentation is optimal use of storage space. While defragmenting flash may not improve performance per se on the phone, it may yield an increase in available memory, depending on what filesystem is being used internally... but that presumes the OS doesn't do that housekeeping on its own.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

it can be done by connecting your BB to your pc then following the normal procedures.
    im not sure if it will help but it certainly cant hurt.
    In Australia blackberry is a noxious weed

http://www.darrynspedding.com