Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Craigslist BlackBerry states Property of RIM. Advice?

I just got this phone 2 days ago from a guy on craiglist canada, he said he had this phone 6months ago but he has just been doing nothing with it. He also told that the phone is from rogers since there is a rogers sim in the package.
    When I got it, I just realized that when i turn on the power,the phone doesn't have rogers career logo (i mean the flash) and the vendor id is -1 (I checked all the vendor id but didn't see anything match with -1). The phone can work with rogers sim but it can work with fido sim as well.
    The IMEI number at the back of the phone match with what it shows on the device. However, it says "property of Research In Motion".
    So, I don't know what has happened to my phone, still don't know whether it is a fake one or not.
    Anyone here can help me to work out?!?!
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Craigslist BlackBerry states Property of RIM. Advice?-picture3.png   Craigslist BlackBerry states Property of RIM. Advice?-blackberry-9000.jpg  
    CrackBerry Addict

The device has been unbranded; it will work fine with your SIM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I'd like to know where is it come from since lots of career in canada, rogers is the best one. How can I check that from my phone?
    CrackBerry Addict

I'm not sure that I understand your question. The carrier will be labelled at the bottom of the device faceplate. Where the device was manufactured will be stamped by underneath the battery.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

There's no label of the carrier at the bottom of the faceplate. Underneath the battery it says made in canada 1.
    I want to figure out the original carrier of the phone. Before the phone was unbranded, which carrier did it belong to? that's what i mean.
    sorry for my english sucks (
    CrackBerry Addict

Well if the box in your posted pic is the original then the carrier would be on it; it's blue so I'm going to assume AT&T.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

thanks a lot
    CrackBerry Abuser

The box doesn't look like an ATT box, ATT box is actually orange and white and has the ATT logo on it.
    CrackBerry User

I dont see why this maters really... it just doesnt.
    Rogers may be the 'best', which I agree with, but they get the same phone as bell, elus or whoever else carries a RIM product...
    the OS might be different, but that can be upgraded on your own

the carrier means little to nothing in terms of the phone youre getting
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Sounds like test model. What OS is installed?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

def not an at&t phone, thats a standard BB RIM box...not sure about any canadian carriers or what there boxes look like. but i agree with the others, the original phone carrier doesnt matter, as long as the phone works.
  12. .me
    CrackBerry User

Thats very cool that you got an internal model!
    just use it and dont worry!
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    32,436 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K View Post
    The box doesn't look like an ATT box, ATT box is actually orange and white and has the ATT logo on it.
    This is what the AT&T box looks like.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

You've got a phone that was manufactured unbranded, apparently for RIM internal use. It doesn't look like a prototype or the PIN would have been disabled when the final phone was released.

My thought would be some sort of RIM internal employee purchase program? Maybe the guy that sold it knows someone that works for RIM and it was a gift?
    Taylor Byrnes

Check out my apps in BlackBerry World - Developer of Memo Pad, VLC Remote, and more
    Z10 Limited Edition + Dev Alpha C + PlayBook
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    25552E41

My 1st Berry 8310 came in a box like that.It was a Suncom phone,but even before I got the Berry my regular phone came in a non-carrier branded box.Maybe smaller carriers don't wanna spend the money to put their logos and name on the box.
    http://www.pcbuilder02.ws
    8310 Curve>9000 (Bold)
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ch your own ***!

Are you able to get blackberry data on your phone? I mean beside the 3G symbol is there a blackberry symbol? Just make sure the pin is still valid...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    PIN
    ooch Lover..

I believe I seen this exact same Unbranded type of blackberry before. What I believe you have is one of those Blackberries that is usually given away at those Pre release events. It was the exact Property of Rim on it and the non descriptive splash screen. Works perfectly well. Doesn't mean its stolen or defective in anyway. Its just usual at those events they are not favoring 1 particular carrier. That explains why it came in non carrier packaging. And many times people who go to those events never use the device once they realize the additional charges carriers charge for the services.
    Last edited by BB King; 01-18-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    I'm BB King... And I Approve this Post..
    CrackBerry User

Default Box

A friend of mine worked at RIM and I have seen that box at his house. It appears to be an employee phone.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

I used to work for Dobson/CellularOne...all of our BBs came in that kind of box. I think the poster above me hit it on the head--smaller carriers don't want to spend the money on the logos on the box.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    217D4D6D

I believe that is a PRE-PRODUCTION unit. Check on the side of the box where you see the IMEI and PIN.

Whats the manufacture date? (It'll be in a format like this, for example if the date is: December 13/2009. It'll look like this: 131209
    CrackBerry User

As many have already said, it's an internal device - probably for employee or testing use.

My guess is that it was stolen. RIM would never release such devices for carrier sale.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    20E31E7B

Nah doesn't have to be stolen. My bold is also unbranded and comes in the same box. Works great it was a device obtained from RIM at one of their events.

If it was an internal device and stolen the pin would be blacklisted along with the imei for sure

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

If the device was stolen from rim the pin wouldnt be deactivated unless they know its stolen.
    For all your cell phone repair needs!!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

It's the generic Blackberry box. You can buy those on e-bay etc. A lot of phone wholesalers use them.

It's quite possible that the phone was resold by a RIM employee or through a chain.

It doesn't look like a preproduction since the IMEI is 35xx. The preprods usually start with 0044
    Cellfservices | Cell phone unlocking solutions
    Unlock BlackBerry
    Toll Free:1-888-308-CODE (2633)
    International: (310) 295-2276
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Craigslist BlackBerry states Property of RIM. Advice?

No carrier branding is fine. You can buy unbranded BlackBerry phones in many countries. That should work with any carrier.
    "Property of Research in Motion" is not good, even if the device is purchased through employee purchase program.
    If it is not powering up, likely it was a stolen device and now remotely blocked.