Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    PIN
    24F1671B
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default cell phone jammer challenge

I have recently been challenged by one of my instructors to some how beat his cell phone jammer. I am currently using .297 and on the att network. My phone is not unlocked. I took a glimpse of the jammer, it blocks three types of signals, I wasn't able to read the labels. Any tips or advice, I alreadt attempt to see if I can change the network mode manually but am not able to. It may be because my phone is not unlocked but I am willing to unlock it if nessecary.
    Any tips or tricks? Is there an financially friendly method of getting around the jammer or reversing the jammers effected?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    20CE8C39

Use wi-fi and skype - :P

I thought they were illegal in the US?
    Bold OS: .162 --> .167 --> .185 --> .190 --> .194 --> .201 --> .210 --> .214 --> .215 --> .216 --> .217 -->.219 --> .234 --> .301 (Current OS) --> .WhatsNext

RIM 2009-10 Device Road Map

"Once you go BlackBerry you never go back!" -
    Waiting patiently for the BB Storm to come to AT&T
    Need a custom ringtone? I can make one for you.
    Follow me on twitter tsaunders
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    21E50A3A

wifi?.....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    20CE8C39

Quote Originally Posted by mookish View Post
    wifi?.....
    Does the jammer block wi-fi?

If not find a VOIP app to use to talk to people.

(Wait the Bold doesn't support UMA though does it? or would that matter?)
    Bold OS: .162 --> .167 --> .185 --> .190 --> .194 --> .201 --> .210 --> .214 --> .215 --> .216 --> .217 -->.219 --> .234 --> .301 (Current OS) --> .WhatsNext

CrackBerry Abuser

ya they are illegal in the US according to the FCC and unlocking the phone wont do anything to get by a jammer but to help you out the GSM frequencies used in the US are 850mhz 1900mhz

The bold has 802.11 a/b/g which mostly use 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (channels 1,6,11) or 5.725 GHz to 5.850 GHz to be more precise

bluetooth should operate at 2.4Ghz but all the wireless options listed above should all use frequency hoping and can change frequencies
    Last edited by evilp8ntballer7; 08-28-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    ::My Feedback:: BB History>> 8700 Brick>8100 Pearl>8220 Flip>8900 Javelin>Bold 9000>Bold 9900

[OEM Replacement Part Sites]

::Wires Computing Repairs::
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    20CE8C39

Quote Originally Posted by evilp8ntballer7 View Post
    ya they are illegal in the US according to the FCC
    I think you can get a wavier to use them. I believe some hospitals use them and maybe schools are allowed to.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts

There are way too many variables here. What are the rules?

I mean you could simply just get out of the jammer's range by going outside. That's the lowest cost and simplest to implement. Or just shut off the power to the device.

You could also put a lead vest (the kind they put on you in the dentist office right before an X-Ray) and cover the jammer. Or alternately, stand by a window, and put the vest on the side of your head facing the room.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaicShock View Post
    I think you can get a wavier to use them. I believe some hospitals use them and maybe schools are allowed to.
    I doubt any hospitals use them... Most doctors use there blackberries as their pagers in modern hospital settings. Further, research can't guarantee they don't interfere with sensitive medical equipment(there is no indication they do, but they can't prove it doesn't).
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    29,903 Global Posts

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Public_Notices/DA-05-1776A1.html

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2008/DA-08-1193A1.html
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Ask and you shall have

most hospitals dont have them it is usually just the radiation rooms that block it all together. i dont know of any schools that have them either but i will look into it will be interesting to see.
    CrackBerry User

Default I have an idea...

What's your instructor jamming the phone into? Clinching tightly might block his attempts.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    29,903 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ajaxn2 View Post
    most hospitals dont have them it is usually just the radiation rooms that block it all together. i dont know of any schools that have them either but i will look into it will be interesting to see.
    It is illegal for schools or hospitals to use them, based on the FCC laws I posted here.

CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    29,903 Global Posts

There is a bill in the House that would allow cell phone jammers in prisons. GovTrack: H.R. 560: Text of Legislation, Introduced in House

This would be the only exception if it passes the House and Senate and gets signed by the President.
    CrackBerry Abuser

considering the pres has or had a blackberry he may not pass that
    ::My Feedback:: BB History>> 8700 Brick>8100 Pearl>8220 Flip>8900 Javelin>Bold 9000>Bold 9900

[OEM Replacement Part Sites]

::Wires Computing Repairs::
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Yeah, an anonymous tip to the FCC would be the best way to beat the jammer.

Monetary forfeitures for a first offense can be as much as $11,000 a day for each violation and could subject the offender to criminal prosecution
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    29,903 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Here's the link for filing a complaint. FCC Consumer Complaints
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    PIN
    24F1671B
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Does the jammer block wi-fi?

If not find a VOIP app to use to talk to people.

(Wait the Bold doesn't support UMA though does it? or would that matter?)
    Unfortunately there is no wifi in range.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    PIN
    24F1671B
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by alee0729 View Post
    There are way too many variables here. What are the rules?

I mean you could simply just get out of the jammer's range by going outside. That's the lowest cost and simplest to implement. Or just shut off the power to the device.

You could also put a lead vest (the kind they put on you in the dentist office right before an X-Ray) and cover the jammer. Or alternately, stand by a window, and put the vest on the side of your head facing the room.
    That's no fun!

CrackBerry User

use a bt headset attached to the phone you leave outside range. i assume the jammer has a small range? lol or a really long wired mic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Anoymous complaint is too slow, the OP needs someone on the scene to shut it down immediately. The OP says "instructor" which suggests an employee committing a criminal act. Instructor's line managers would probably be faster, with the implied threat of a FCC complaint against both employer and employee if it is not shut down and formal action taken against the offender. And be prepared to go through with it.

Otherwise, power disruption works. If the jammer is accessible - Faraday cage it, give the antenna a grounded metal jacket. Or see if the jammer likes spilled coffee or cola. (Cola is good, the acid is brutal to circuit boards).
    CrackBerry Addict

This sounds more like a school project than an employee situation. It's probably an electronics instructors creation and he has bet his students can't defeat it.

As for hospitals using them...they have devices that people assume are jammers mounted on the walls but they are not jammers, they are recievers that pick up the outgoing signal from your cell and it triggers an audible alert that Cell Phones are not permited in the hospital. I have seen them first hand at Kaiser hospital and was amazed at how often they went off and how many people ignore them.
    CrackBerry User

What are the stipulations? Are you able to put a ridiculously strong transmitter on the phone that can overpower the jammer? Can you make a faraday cage and set it over the jammer? Can you punch him in the crotch and unplug his jammer?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    PIN
    24F1671B
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Quote Originally Posted by barbwyr View Post
    This sounds more like a school project than an employee situation. It's probably an electronics instructors creation and he has bet his students can't defeat it.

As for hospitals using them...they have devices that people assume are jammers mounted on the walls but they are not jammers, they are recievers that pick up the outgoing signal from your cell and it triggers an audible alert that Cell Phones are not permited in the hospital. I have seen them first hand at Kaiser hospital and was amazed at how often they went off and how many people ignore them.
    It actually is a class project, every semester (I attend community college and it is divided into three semesters) he would create an "Intructors Challenge". He is an iPhone fanatic, he was said to be "sick" when the iPhone 3GS was released and with a class with a large variety of smart phones ranging from Blackberrys to iPhones to Nokia N-Series and a few foreign and a few generic brands beating a cellphone jammer within its range was his challenge.
    CrackBerry User

A faraday cage is effective when it the holes in it are less than 1/20 of the wavelength of one wave. So, take the highest frequency used with cellphones, and build a faraday cage with holes smaller than 1/20th of of one of those waves. T-mobiles 3g is on 2100Mhz, and the highest frequency, I believe.

Using this calculator their wavelength is 143mm. So, 143/20 is roughly 7mm. If your faraday cage has 7mm or smaller holes, you should block his signal.

The problem becomes finding out which direction your good signal is coming from. You would need to be sure you are blocking one side while still receiving on the other.

Anything you use to make it has to have a good electrical connection to all parts involved, and ideally would be grounded.

If you can create a large enough faraday shield to block out the noise he is creating with his jammer, in theory, you should be golden.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast