Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can I use wifi with no data?

Sorry for the title, but my real question is that I have a bold 9000 connected to AT&T, but i have no data plan equipped on it. I was wondering if i could use wifi to access the internet without turning off my network for my data is blocked, will they be able to track my phone for using data or do i always have to turn off the network before browsing?
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    29,703 Global Posts

AT&T requires data plans for all smartphones added since September 2009. They run IMEI sweeps, and if they detect that one is using a smartphone, they will add a data plan for that device, whether the user wants it or not (it will be the more expensive data plan). The only way to avoid a data plan on AT&T is by not using a smartphone.

From their site: "An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and data usage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered data plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly data usage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much data usage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee."
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,329 Global Posts

I don't think you can use wifi on the 9000 without having a data plan attached to the sim card. I know that sounds a bit backwards, but I'm pretty sure that the "WIFI" will be grey instead of white, so you won't be connected via wifi. Wifi on BBs works different that wifi on other phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Amy wineBerry View Post
    I don't think you can use wifi on the 9000 without having a data plan attached to the sim card. I know that sounds a bit backwards, but I'm pretty sure that the "WIFI" will be grey instead of white, so you won't be connected via wifi. Wifi on BBs works different that wifi on other phones.

I've used the blackberry with just wifi before. Its just that im wondering if i can run it with the network at the same time. Or if i have to switch when i wanna use internet or vice versa the phone.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,329 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chineybway View Post
    I've used the blackberry with just wifi before. Its just that im wondering if i can run it with the network at the same time. Or if i have to switch when i wanna use internet or vice versa the phone.
    This definitely is upsetting to my dad lol. He can't get the wifi to connect on his old bold 9000 and AT&T told him he'd need a sim with a data plan attached.

Anywho...yes, to ensure that you aren't using any of the network to access the web, it is probably best that you turn it off before connecting to the browser. Yes, when wifi is on, that should be the goto for surfing, but sometimes, wifi may hang or become disconnected in which case it will try using the network to render pages.

Also, I wonder though, if your data is blocked, then it wouldn't matter right? I mean, you just wouldn't be able to browse unless it's via wifi. Or did I read that part in the OP wrong?

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    beats me ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chineybway View Post
    If you use WiFi and your mobile network is turned on some data will be transferred via Data, not WiFi. If you want to use WiFi exclusively you should turn off your mobile network.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am not sure but i don't have a data plan on my 9000 and i can get wifi, you have to go through this lengthy process of adding connections which isn't really ideal.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

I don't get the point here, I have a prepaid data for every month after the month is over I need to put enough money on my sim and call to activate a new month but when the month is over and don't have data true network I can use my wifi everywere in supermarkets at city points without problems. So "Can I use wifi with no data? by Chineybway"
    YES you can.

Enjoy DelftEo