Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    PM Me. Will think about it.

As a Doc, I've had both. I gave my iphone to my wife. Just was not functional enough for me. Bluetooth was a problem, dialing was a problem, responding to emails was a problem; too many problems. With my Bold no "serious" issues. Bluetooth fine, voice dialing make calling a snap, one handed email response, etc,etc. Without a doubt my best choice.
    CrackBerry User

Third year med student here. Go for the Bold. Too many of my professors have the iPhone and once I showed them the Bold's screen, they went crazy! And about the iPhone med apps; I have a Palm for that. This way I can toss it when I'm done and I don't have to worry about losing data or have someone snooping around if I lose it.
    CrackBerry User

The battery life on the iPhone is terrible. You're going to have to charge it midday to get through the day.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    PIN
    215FBB51

I would go with a Blackberry and an iPod Touch myself, that way you can use the BB for the epocrates and some medical software, and then use the touch for the other ones that are more "visually pleasing"
    The Waffle
    CrackBerry User

does anyone know how to prevent epocrates rx from running in the background? i noticed that it keeps on running even after closing it.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by jdmoises27 View Post
    From a former med student:

Get the bold and a Palm. Keep med software on the Palm.

You DO NOT want to put med software on a cell.
    I have to agree with jdmoises27. I am currently in PA school. I will finish up the program next year and then will start med school in the fall (just took the MCAT this Sept). My blackberry has been wonderful to me. Getting emails, browsing med forums etc.. was a great advantage.

I also have a Palm for med software.

One of the major reasons why I didn't go for the iPhone is because you can't wear gloves (latex or any kind) and type on the iPhone.

Good luck with Med School! And say a little prayer for me.
    I'm not ashamed of my beauty, you can see what I got.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Even if there are lots of medical programs available for the iPhone, remember the bold has only been out for a very short amount of time, more programs are bound to be made available.

...And i know if saw my doctor whip out an iPhone, I wouldn't think very highly of them at all...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask :)

As a journalism student I'll be giving up my iPhone tomorrow and getting a Bold. I can't tell you how many times I've missed or gotten a late email and how much it's cost me. With the BB I doubt I'll have the same problems.

Yes, the iPhone has email... but it never gets to me in a timely manner.
    CrackBerry User

I'm interviewing now and Bold has been a lifesaver. Interview offers come in at all times of the day and you need to be able to reply fast and your message has to get there reliably. I don't know why I have been so resistant to getting a crackberry until now.

First 2 years of med, I don't think it really matters. Iphone is nice because of the nice support for media. With regards to med progs, etc. I still think winmobile and palm have the most variety, followed by iphone and bold. i think one of the posters suggested getting a palm + blackberry. I would also recommend small winmobile pda +blackberry as an alternative. Plus, with a separate device for med progs, you won't get your phone all dirty with blood products and other body fluids.

I can only tell you why I personally chose the bold over other phones but I suggest you take other people's opinions into consideration as well. I was done with touch screen typing for now. I had an iphone for awhile and got used to typing pretty well. However, it was never as fast or accurate as my HTC kaiser or treos. I could "out type" anyone with an iphone with my devices with physical keyboard. Second, I was done with slide out keyboards. I'm done with large moving parts for phones. Third, I am done with landscape to portrait changes in interface. No matter how "responsive" the OS may be when you first open that box, it will always be slower than just typing away as soon you need something rather than turn the device, then wait to start QWERTY typing in landscape.

Last reason is a bit silly but during 3rd year, people with blackberries + epocrates looked up stuff faster than anyone with iphone + epocrates, or winmo +epocrates. Why is this important? When you're getting pimped by a temperamental surgeon, you do not want to keep him waiting for an answer.

My only complaint about the Bold/Blackberry is the inability to use the device memory for storing and managing your emails. If blackberry allowed me to use the 1 gig for that, I would be one happy customer and this device would be perfect. (Since I keep all of my media files etc on my media card, the device memory is largely unused. If anyone has any third party software that allows me to utilize the device memory for emails, please let me know/PM).

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by smackey View Post
    does anyone know how to prevent epocrates rx from running in the background? i noticed that it keeps on running even after closing it.
    How you are closing it? Are you hitting menu and then selecting Exit/Close?
    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by beandoc View Post
    I ultimately want a functional device and not a toy.
    Very, very well put!!!! And email on the iphone is delayed at least 10 min. Usually 15min+.
    CrackBerry User

That's the problem there is no close or exit option when you hit the menu button. It will only move into the background when I press the back key.
    And that's not good because it eats a lot of memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayden0606 View Post
    How you are closing it? Are you hitting menu and then selecting Exit/Close?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Talking iPhone as a Reference Tool

With apps like the Medical Abbreviations app ($0.99), I have instant access to the stuff I need.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,189 Global Posts

Not that' I'm a med student, but it seems like 1-handed qwerty keyboard and scrolling would be pretty ideal (not to mention copy/paste).
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    just ask

Personally so far i say the iphone i only have the bold about a week and im a pharmacy tech in school to be a pharmacist my i pod touch has a epocrates app which had ever med their generic name and a picture so no matter what i use my ipod at work but im currently looking for medicine apps for my blackberry anybody who knows of some freeones let me know feel free to email me at rage61989@yahoo.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

As a med student, I would prefer the iPhone or a Windows Mobile phone.
    There are tons of education material for both, not so much for BBs I'm afraid.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue95z View Post
    Very, very well put!!!! And email on the iphone is delayed at least 10 min. Usually 15min+.
    If you poll it manually, it isn't delayed at all, not sure what you're talking about. I agree however: a Blackberry is almost the perfect email machine but I'm afraid almost everything else, the iPhone can do better.
    I still prefer my 8900 most of the time because I need to WORK with it.
    The iPhone is the perfect phone for vacations/travel because of its many apps store programs and multimedia features(videos/music).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Simple:

Your colleagues/patients will not take you seriously if you pull an Iphone. I will personally be very concerned that you may want to operate on me while playing Prince of Persia......
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by chetanvedvyas View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a med student. I have researched both devices extensively and find myself going back and forth (but mostly leaning toward the Bold). I have Verizon and would have to switch to AT&T for the iPhone if I were to go that route.

SOME of the most salient details for me are these: I believe software development is happening for the iPhone in a way that will probably never happen for the BBOS, especially for medical programs. Medical programs for the BB are few and expensive, comparatively, and will likely remain that way in the near future. The BB, however, is a far, FAR superior device in terms of rapidly making phone calls, adding contacts, quickly making calls from them, and writing e-mail. I find the iPhone cumbersome at best in all of these arenas. The Bold is clearly a better communication device, hands-down.

Nonetheless, I find myself going back and forth. Perhaps I would be able to overlook these things if the iPhone has an unbelievable advantage over the Bold for useful medical programs. Do you have any input for me? For a med student, which device do you think would be a better idea? Why?

Thank you!
    Be practical… you don't study on your phone… probably on your laptop. You use data for quick reference only and BBB works for that.
    I'm an internist & nephrologist, and besides Pubmed, Google Scholar and UTD don't browse much more.
    Regarding software, you already have Epocrates (which I use a lot), try QxMD software (www.qxmd.com) and there are some others - that's the kind of apps you use everyday.
    You won't be studing Anatomy from the tiny screen of a PDA.
    I use my BBB for expedite communication with my fellows and peers. It'a amazing the speed at which Blackberry use is growing in medical comunity.
    My recomendation for sure would be BBB.
    You just mentioned the rest of characteristics.

CrackBerry User

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by KareBare View Post
    If you end up a surgeon, I would suggest a BB. An iPhone requires two hands for most of its operations. But clicking on the berry on the left and cutting with the right would work fine. Plus, if you drop your device inside your patient and sew them up, they likely would not sue if they were getting a berry out of it. And especially a Bold.

Just my 2 cents.

hilarious!

i love my bold. im a doc as well. i use it way more as a communication device ie. phone, when running b/w the office and hospital. it kinda weird, before i thought blackberries were for people who LOVE email. i would HATE checking my email, cause usually its at the end of a long day and i would reply to the ones that were urgent. however having email pushed..i find myself having more time as i will check it in line while waiting for coffee or whatever. Apps are good for the iphone but you will still probably have to carry some books with you regardless. uptodate is probably the best source you will use in school/residency and i saw it on some portable device the other day. epocrates is ok, but not great for pediatrics.

dont stress so much about it cause when you hit the wards, your phone will quickly become the least of your worries...good luck!
    CrackBerry Abuser

iPhone: its a toy and looks like one
    Bold: Business tool and looks professional
    Carpe Diem - BY THE NUTS!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    just ask

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaBerryDiva View Post
    Does anyone use the iPod Touch and a BB? How good is the iPod Touch overall? Thank You

I have the touch and the bigger screen is nice i use epocrates often at work in the pharmacy to double check things and generic names but if its on the Blackberry bold i can't see the difference the only issue im having is that i can't get epocrates to pull up medication pictures and it's a pain because we have a script pro at my job which fills certain medications by robot and sometimes pills miss the vial and at the end of the night i put them back in there correct bottles and pic id was great for that i need to figure out how to make it work but over all i have the touch and the Blackberry Bold
    and the bold blow it out of the water it's not just a phone it really is an exquisite pice of technology and i feel that my i pod touch is a toy i have the bold almost two weeks so i havent even gotten into everything
    CrackBerry Abuser

net surfing = Iphone
    txt and email = BB

That said, the BB works good for surfing as well, but the larger screen of the iphone is nicer. Take it one step further the screens are so small that you really want to use a computer for surfing....
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Greetings!

First of all, I'm sorry to bring up such an old thread, but it was one of the few very helpful ones.
    Google search has been more likely a pain on that particular question.
    I was just wondering if there has been any improvement, especially since BB10 is just around the corner. I'm a medical student too and find myself revolving around those thoughts, BB vs iPhone - especially since I'm using a MacBook (late 2008, still running Snow Leopard) because of OsiriX DICOM and several other reasons.
    Since I'm not a real fan of Apples iCloud, I try to stay "local" and sync my phone with my MacBook. Sadly the BB Desktopsoftware isn't as good as it could be.

Kind regards,

edit | just realized that this thread has been posted in the "old bold section" ... I don't know if it's possible to move it somewhere else? Perhaps there a others too, that are interested in that particular question.
    Last edited by Tilman Mueller; 12-23-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: possible to move this thread?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,644 Global Posts

First, thanks for acknowledging this is a very old thread. Many don't pay attention and bring back old threads with no value. The Bold here is the 9000 and has not been a "current" model for some time. They are still around but very limited compared to newer models.

BB10 won't be released until the end of January. Depending on where you live, it may be a while longer until BB10 devices come to a carrier near you.

I can't speak to med student apps. A quick Google shows many hits for iOS, iPads in particular. I saw none for BB.
    --
    8800 (Retired), 9000 (Retired), 9800 (T-Mobile), PB64 WiFi, Droid 4 (VZW)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast