Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bold or iPhone?

I know that I will probably get some skewed answers seeing how this is a BB site. However, can anyone help me with the pros and cons between what we currently know about the Bold and the new iPhone?

Here are mine so far:

iPhone Pros: Price point (can BB beat it?), 8-16 gigs, large screen
    iPhone Cons: Touchscreen

BBB Pros: QWERTY keyboard
    BBB Cons: Smaller screen, 1 gig, price?

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. I will be using my phone for "pleasure" not business. I will not be using it as a mp3 player.

Will either phone have a full html browser? Java?
    Does the new iPhone have instant email notification?
    Does the new iPhone have GPS?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,123 Global Posts

BB folks, I hate to say this but iPhone linked with the new "Mobile Me" will be a winner. This new Mobile Me is like Enterprise for the common man. You will get push email, push calendar, and push contacts. This for a road salesman will be great. Now I don't know if BB has a BIS program like this but if they do then great but if not, wow what a great service for people who need to have their phones and computers synced over the airwaves updated constantly.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,668 Global Posts
    PIN
    The Dog Ate It

I'm a Mac guy, love everything Apple except the I-Phone.

1. Because it's on AT$T
    2. I didn't like the virtual keyboard
    Tact is for those who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

There, Their, and They're are not interchangeable. Come on people learn the difference among the 3.

Oh and While I'm at it "alot" is not a word!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    BB folks, I hate to say this but iPhone linked with the new "Mobile Me" will be a winner. This new Mobile Me is like Enterprise for the common man. You will get push email, push calendar, and push contacts. This for a road salesman will be great. Now I don't know if BB has a BIS program like this but if they do then great but if not, wow what a great service for people who need to have their phones and computers synced over the airwaves updated constantly.
    I love the idea of a push calender and push contacts. Do you need a Mac to use "Mobile Me?"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    471 Global Posts
    PIN
    21d31a13

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    David, I am with you. I have a curve and was waiting for the bold, but with the announcement today and the information I am reading over at apple.com I will be getting myself the new IPhone for only $199.00, darn could cost. I am not giving up my Blackberry, I can still use it, umm maybe as a coaster. No way, I will just use both for different options and reasons.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Mobile Me

Looks like the Mobile Me will work from PC or Mac. $99 a year for the service. I'm also giving the new iphone a hard look. I'm leaning toward the Bold due to the number of applications available. I'm currently a Treo 650 user and use it a lot for reading e-books. I have books from ereader.com and in Isilo formats that can't be read on BB or Iphone yet. I have read about styletap.com building a palm OS emulator for the iphone. But I think the BB will have the software I need before the iphone.
    CrackBerry User

I think that Apple is trying to steal more of the market away from Blackberry. I have been waiting to buy a blackberry Bold and almost bought a curve, but now the price point of an iphone with the me software is just perfect. I will have everything that I need out of a phone for under 200 bucks, yet I think the bold is going to come in above that and I will still have to pay to get emails, calander and contacts pushed. With Apple having 19% of the smartphone market I only see that number getting bigger. Depending on when the bold is released. I think it is time Blackberry gave up some information or it will lose users buy mid july
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,435 Global Posts

BOLD is the answer for me. IPhone looks nice, but I much prefer my Blackberry. Would like it though if RIM would make a web interface like Mobileme for us BIS people. Even without I am sticking to my BB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    471 Global Posts
    PIN
    21d31a13

Default Sticker Shock

Quote Originally Posted by bknepp View Post
    I think that Apple is trying to steal more of the market away from Blackberry. I have been waiting to buy a blackberry Bold and almost bought a curve, but now the price point of an iphone with the me software is just perfect. I will have everything that I need out of a phone for under 200 bucks, yet I think the bold is going to come in above that and I will still have to pay to get emails, calander and contacts pushed. With Apple having 19% of the smartphone market I only see that number getting bigger. Depending on when the bold is released. I think it is time Blackberry gave up some information or it will lose users buy mid july

That price is amazing even for only 8 gigs, he $299 is for 16 gigs. My only concern is third party applications as well as apple apps. Will they require more space?, will the 8 gig be adequate enough or should you drop another hundo for the 16 gig. I guess more information will be giving the closer we come to the official release date.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    PIN
    3075E7A4

I have a feeling that this thread will be huge....
    "There's only 3 things I want to hear from you number 2....
    You're right,
    clear right,
    and I'll take the fat one."
    CrackBerry Addict

Honestly? Choose what you like. Unlike some people who come onto this site to convince BB users that iPhones or some other phone is superior, the truth is, get what fills your needs and what you like.

For me, since I like to push real keys instead of virtual ones, I like the proven reliability and security of BlackBerry (instead of hoping and praying Microsoft does it right this time), and I like the idea that I can insure my phone (I spend time in places that are hard on phones on my job), then I'll keep my Curve.
    I also will get an iPod touch - all the great stuff of an iPhone without the lousy phone.

BTW, you'd best hope Jobs fixed the phone part of the iPhone. The iPhone 1 is pretty bad. It was the biggest complaint in every review - and the biggest complaint of every iPhone owner I know. Jobs didn't mention it, I don't think.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    Waiting on the 9000

This was taken from theiphoneblog.com. Now, why would I get the iphone when the bold is Hopefully coming out this month. Huge Con here for the iphone.

Sorry to rain on the iPhone 3G parade but it has to be done. Here’s some not so great news about the iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G data plan is going to cost $30 per month. That’s $10 more than the current iPhone plan. On top of that, current iPhone owners will have to sign a NEW 2-year contract to use the iPhone 3G. Meaning, buying an iPhone 3G won’t be a seamless upgrade in the traditional sense. Granted, AT&T won’t count the remaining years on your current iPhone contract to the new iPhone 3G contract, the fact that you have to sign a new contract plus the added cost per month just doesn’t sit right with me.

Look at it this way, the iPhone 3G costs $199. Hip hip hooray right? Not quite. We have to add the cost of the added monthly fees. First we multiply the 10 dollars more a month by 24 months (the life of a 2 year contract) which equates to $240 dollars more to use the iPhone 3G’s data plan versus the original data plan. Now for the simple math, $199 (cost of the iPhone 3G) + $240 (cost of 3G data vs EDGE data over 2 years) = $439 over the lifetime of the contract. That’s actually a $40 dollar increase from the current iPhone, not quite the ‘half price’ that we’re being marketed to believe.

Also, it looks like AT&T will discontinue their pre-paid, GoPhone option meaning there is no alternative than being tied into a 2 year voice+3G data contract under AT&T. At least before, some users could choose to use the iPhone as a pseudo-data only device.

Perhaps its because the old revenue sharing model of the original iPhone is no longer in effect, but it looks like AT&T has taken back control of data plans and is positioning the iPhone 3G to increase subscribers and broaden market potential. The carrier subsidy is theoretically included in the $199 price, essentially AT&T is giving Apple the money upfront instead of through a month-to-month revenue sharing plan. Do we as consumers win out? Depends what your perspective is. The iPhone 3G is still a great phone and a steal, but AT&T & Apple are obviously not in the same relationship they were in just one year ago.

So when the iPhone 4G comes is AT&T going to raise our data prices to $40? Will it stop? What do you guys think of this? Does it change your perspective on the price of the iPhone 3G?

UPDATE: Gizmodo is also reporting that the iPhone 3G can only be activated in store via a 10-12 minute process. Also, a fine might be levied to those who don’t activate the iPhone 3G within 30 days. It seems like the iPhone no longer carries that unique badge of being separate from the rest of the other phones in AT&T’s lineup anymore..
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,123 Global Posts

Does BB have a Push server for people who don't work for large companies with Enterprise? If so what and where do I get it. If not maybe they should think about something like that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    PIN
    Available upon request

I like my real keyboard, and I think the iphone is just ugly looking. I will be getting a Bold. I don't care how much more it costs, which I can't imagine it would be priced over $299. I just hope the Bold is released before the iphone is.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by salgonza View Post
    This was taken from theiphoneblog.com. Now, why would I get the iphone when the bold is Hopefully coming out this month. Huge Con here for the iphone.
    That is not a con for former BlackBerry users, only existing iPhone users. BlackBerry personal plan is $30 a month for unlimited data and push email. That is all you get. For a BlackBerry user to transition to an iPhone, they pay the exact same thing and get unlimited data and Visual Voicemail. It is a lateral cost move, and it won't hurt any of us At&t BlackBerry users at all.

Add in a separate $8.25 a month and you get push contacts, push mail, push calendar, and 3 way photo syncing along with 20gigs of online storage.

Broken down:

iPhone = $30 a month for data/Visual Voicemail + a separate $8.25 for MobileMe (keep in mind that MobileMe is likely going to be a one time payment of $99)
    -Push Mail
    -Push Contacts
    -Push Calendar
    -3 way photo sync
    -20gb of online storage for mail and photos

BlackBerry = $30 a month for unlimited data and push email
    -Push Mail
    -xxx.blackberry.net email address that is forever tied to your BIS account/BlackBerry devices

It is honestly a better deal on the Apple side...

The reason The iPhone Blog ran that is because all existing iPhone users pay $20 a month for unlimited data, 200 texts, and Visual Voicemail. The first iPhone was classified by At&t as a feature phone, and was on the feature phone data rates (MEdiaNet). The 3G iPhone is being classified as a smartphone and is on the smartphone data rates, which is $30 a month across the board for personal use (PDA Personal Plan, BlackBerry Personal Plan). This represents a $10 increase to all current iPhone users that upgrade, but to those of us on BlackBerry or PDA Personal plans, it is a lateral cost.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by SLVR6 View Post
    BOLD is the answer for me. IPhone looks nice, but I much prefer my Blackberry. Would like it though if RIM would make a web interface like Mobileme for us BIS people. Even without I am sticking to my BB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I love that you love BB... but please answer "why" as this will help me. Honestly I wasn't considering the iPhone until today because of the virtual keyboard. Now my interest has been shifted slightly and I want BB lovers to help me understand why it is a better product.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Arninetyes View Post
    Honestly? Choose what you like. Unlike some people who come onto this site to convince BB users that iPhones or some other phone is superior, the truth is, get what fills your needs and what you like.

For me, since I like to push real keys instead of virtual ones, I like the proven reliability and security of BlackBerry (instead of hoping and praying Microsoft does it right this time), and I like the idea that I can insure my phone (I spend time in places that are hard on phones on my job), then I'll keep my Curve.
    I also will get an iPod touch - all the great stuff of an iPhone without the lousy phone.

BTW, you'd best hope Jobs fixed the phone part of the iPhone. The iPhone 1 is pretty bad. It was the biggest complaint in every review - and the biggest complaint of every iPhone owner I know. Jobs didn't mention it, I don't think.
    Thank you for your response. I gather from what you said that you can not insure a iPhone but can insure a BB... is that true?
    What was wrong with the "phone" on the iPhone? Sound quality? User interface?
    Also, were you alluding to the fact that the iPhone isn't secure? Or did I read that wrong? I really know nothing about the iPhone and love to hear real users likes/dislikes.
    Thank you again!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Yes... another post. I forgot to mention that the biggest reason I wanted a BB to be my next phone is because I need an AMAZING calendar.
    Any iPhone users/ex-users and BB users/ex-users care to comment on the calendar features on either phone?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,429 Global Posts

the new iphone is topped out at 16gig...the Bold has 1gig internal memory, but you can get a 32gig memory card if i'm not mistaken!!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    Waiting on the 9000

ARGH, Im so so so so torn.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

iPhone is a VERY NICE PHONE. But, the two items I very much dislike about the iPhone are:

1. You can't customize it. Apple sets the UI and you have to follow it. What if I don't use half the icons on the homepage?

2. I HATE the touch screen. The keyboard is so much better!

Present: iPhone 4, 9700 Bold, PlayBook
    Priors: Curve 8700, Flip 8220, Curve 8900, Tour 9630, iPhone 3GS.
    Logical reasoning beats ignorance.
    I'd agree with you but then I'd be wrong.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,842 Global Posts
    PIN
    N/A

I have been all about BlackBerry for a while now...and was not impressed with the original iPhone (I had five of them before giving up). But, my biggest gripes with the original iPhone were...

1. The virtual keypad. I couldn't get it down to where I could type as clean and fast as on my BlackBerry...but many have. Maybe I didn't give it enough time as I have been told...

2. The earpiece volume sucked!! It was way too low in anything but a totally quiet environment. But, Steve Jobs says there is a "dramatic improvement in audio"...so maybe that means a louder earpiece speaker, and better call quality (which was the pits as well). The speakerphone was also a complete joke on the Gen-1 iPhone...and maybe they have fixed that issue as well...i dunno.

Aside from those two things...I have to admit the iPhone was/is very cool. I liked it...but couldn't live with those things. So...I came back to BlackBerry, and I have grown to like the fact that those two issues are not issues at all with the Curve. I like the reliability and easy of operation with the BB...and I have heard that the screen and display of the Bold is totally amazing, and even gives the iPhone a run for the money...

But...economically speaking, the Apple deal is the better deal unless you process a ton of emails (I don't) or messages (I don't) daily. Or whether you deal with document attatchments for business (I don't) or need to send voice notes as part of your business.

I too find myself torn as to whether go with what I know works...and buy the BlackBerry Bold never mind that it will probably be at least $100+ more than the iPhone...and will cost me an additional $10 a month just to have the BB data plan...or wait and hope that maybe Apple fixed my gripes and save some money...

We'll see. Until then...my Curve works great, and I'm not in need.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,429 Global Posts

I'm not sold either... I can't get past the touchscreen virtual keyboard(i need to actually touch the keys), and I dont like the fact you max out at 16gigs..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    PIN
    30E67E22

I think Im going to stay loyal to BB. Each one Ive had, has been very good to me. No sense in fixing what isnt broke. Just to have a glorified iPod...lol
    "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force. - Darth Vader
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Get Both!!!
    The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.
    Vince Lombardi
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast