Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,110 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask me.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bold and HTML email...

I have searched for quite a bit with no answer. I see it has been asked many times in the review but nobody has answered so I thought I would try here. Does the Bold do HTML email??? I love it on my iPhone, and was hoping for this on the Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    24b2d5f0

Yes it will it be on 4.6 os 4.5 suppose to when ever comes out beta not has it u can get html email viewer bbsmart for now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts

It isn't that simple. The way BlackBerrys handle email is special, and to see HTML email, it needs to be added as a function on the the server as well as the device. OS 4.5 does in fact add the ability to the device, so I can't imagine that it won't be in OS 4.6 as well. That said, unless your carrier adds it to their BIS servers, or your company to their BES servers, you won't be able to utilize it.

BBSmart and Empower are both work arounds for this, but they aren't true HTML either. They just make the plain text look a little bit better. Given the choice between standard, text only BB email in its default form and viewing it with Empower or BBSmart, I would take Empower or BBSmart any day; they still aren't true HTML however.

Last thing... Be careful what you wish for. Windows Mobile devices offer true HTML email, but they don't shrink them down to a viewable image like the iPhone does. What you end up with is an email too large for your screen that requires scrolling all over to be able to see it all. I can't imagine that RIM would do the same thing, but until it happens, we won't know. So far, the only phone I have seen do HTML email in a fashion that is pretty and easy to read, is the iPhone. We can cross our fingers though...
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    24664DB3

Maybe BlackBerry could do something like strip HTML out of the email before sending it. Or perform some other form of wizardry that makes HTML emails readable. I don't really care about having pretty emails delivered to my BB, but I do care about readability. I don't want to switch to plain text emails either because that would mean sacrificing HTML emails on my desktop.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,899 Global Posts
    PIN
    "HOOK EM"

I am quite sure the Bold will have it, in what form who knows.
    BOLD 9780 "HOOK EM"
    CrackBerry User

Unhappy BBSmart Email Viewer on my 4.5 Bold is not fully functional

I just tried using BBSmart on my OS v.4.5 Bold and found that most of the options did not work as indicated in the sales pitch for the product.
    Cons
    I do not see pictures in my Emails nor do I see the option to make a calendar appointment from inside an Email.
    Pros
    -I did however manage to increase the font size for viewing my Emails.
    -The free download shows an install version for 4.0 to 4.3 but nothing higher than that. I used the 4.3 version on my 4.5 Bold.

I wrote to their support group and asked them if they planned to make a version of this product compatible with the Bold and here is their response:
    -------------
    Sent: February 9, 2009 4:30:18 AM
    To: <me>

Hi,

Sorry, at this time there are no plans to release a Bold compatible version as the Bold has native HTML email viewing capabilities that supersede the viewer offered with BBSmart Email Viewer.

If you are unsure how to enable native HTML email on your BlackBerry please see http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...lackberry.html

Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

Cool

I had BBSmart HTML Email Viewer on my 8310. Recently upgraded to the BOLD OS v4.6; no longer need the BBSmart.