Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bold delayed because of FCC?

Don't know if it is true but my husband was talking to an AT&T rep to inquire about the bold yesterday and was told it was delayed pending FCC device approval. Yet another unconfirmed story to throw into the mix
    Retired Mod

Global Posts
    13,207 Global Posts

hmmm... I may be wrong but I thought the BOLD was approved by FCC a month ago or so.
    Retired Mod

Global Posts
    13,207 Global Posts

yes it was approved by FCC to be sold in USA. We got word back on July 10th of this. Here is the link from CB blogs...FCC, It's as Easy as 1-2-3 | CrackBerry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,067 Global Posts
    PIN
    Station

i'M TIRED OF ALL THIS TALKING, I'M READY FOR IT TO COME ON OUT SO i CAN UP-GRADE AND BE THE NEW IT GUY AT WORK WITH MY NEW PHONE.
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...

Yeah, not FCC delays.

Actually - best I have it now in regards to Bold delays is that the issue has been with roaming in the US. Some pretty specific instances/locations where glitches occurred (working with the network) that need to be addressed, but apparently the issue popped up again for some testers last week, so they need to issue another version of gold code. Not a device issue per say, but carrier level stuff that requires some software coding changes from RIM. Hopefully the final code gets in and approved this week/next. RIM has a hundred thousand units ready to go out, but it'll take a couple of weeks to load final software into the units and send them off to stores. Considering we're a week into August, very easily could be early September at this point.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Cushion

Thanks for the details Kevin, but if that is indeed the case, how come it has already been released in (at least) Chile & Germany?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Montala View Post
    Thanks for the details Kevin, but if that is indeed the case, how come it has already been released in (at least) Chile & Germany?
    Because apparently it has to do with roaming in the US, which would have no impact on Chile or Germany
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

thanks for the info
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by alohacrack View Post
    Don't know if it is true but
    AND

talking to an AT&T rep to inquire about the bold
    AND

Yet another unconfirmed story to throw into the mix

This really just needs to stop. Unless you absolutley have incontrovertible proof such as....a link to a RIM.com, Blackberry.com, At&t or some other very reputable source that will sell or produce the Blackberry Bold please don't post it. It is getting very old.
    -Brian
    Blackberry Storm (9530)
    4.7.0.75 (Down from .83)
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    PIN
    2424473F

The only reason i don't like the US...roaming errors are keeping me from my dream phone!!!!
    Retired Mod

Global Posts
    13,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLS1TA View Post
    This really just needs to stop. Unless you absolutley have incontrovertible proof such as....a link to a RIM.com, Blackberry.com, At&t or some other very reputable source that will sell or produce the Blackberry Bold please don't post it. It is getting very old.

There was nothing wrong with the thread. It helped clear up any questions regarding FCC.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    721 Global Posts
    PIN
    kberry is overrated...

Think it's becoming a habit for me but when I read a thread that talks about information that was received from a rep, I stop reading and move on to the next thread. I'm sure everyone realizes that you can talk to 3 different reps for a company and get 3 different stories or answers. With that said....moving on.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

The Bold is delayed in the USA because it's having issues with the ATT network. Read up folks! It has nothing to do with the phone itself, it's with the phone and how it interacts with the service providers. Since ATT is the only USA provider we have to wait on them.

Present: iPhone 4, 9700 Bold, PlayBook
    Priors: Curve 8700, Flip 8220, Curve 8900, Tour 9630, iPhone 3GS.
    Logical reasoning beats ignorance.
    I'd agree with you but then I'd be wrong.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Cushion

I still can't see why we have to wait in the U.K. as well though!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,131 Global Posts
    PIN
    g... One Ping only please!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    Yeah, not FCC delays.

Actually - best I have it now in regards to Bold delays is that the issue has been with roaming in the US. Some pretty specific instances/locations where glitches occurred (working with the network) that need to be addressed, but apparently the issue popped up again for some testers last week, so they need to issue another version of gold code. Not a device issue per say, but carrier level stuff that requires some software coding changes from RIM. Hopefully the final code gets in and approved this week/next. RIM has a hundred thousand units ready to go out, but it'll take a couple of weeks to load final software into the units and send them off to stores. Considering we're a week into August, very easily could be early September at this point.
    Not that it needs it but I will confirm what Kevin says. There is a new SW release coming and it did not come this week. The last version that the field testers got, of which I am one, was 4.6.0.107. That version IMO caused us to take a couple steps back from .95 even though battery life improved again the device became less stable.

From what I hear .111 or .112 is in our lab this week for testing. It may be rolled out to us next week but here's the thing, we are still being asked to complete our current testing by Monday 8/11. They want our reports on the device and they think that we are down to small tweaks to get this device ready. I am not as certain as I was a week or two ago that this device is ready but I suspect we'll see a new SW pack every 7-10 days after 8/11 to finish cleaning this device up in anticipation of a end of Aug early Sept release.

My 2 cents....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,279 Global Posts
    PIN
    G-14 classified / PM me

Phonegeek, thank you for some of the most informative details to date on the Bold.

Rather than hearing what a rep told someone, hearing what is actually going on is at least refreshing.

Please chime in more often and keep us up to date. We're going crazy out here waiting on the Bold!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

All I can really say here is that both RIM and AT&T have dropped the ball BIG TIME. How is it that software builds are performing this badly on the phones in North America, while we hear nothing bad about the phones launched in Asia, Europe, and Central America?? I am getting really tired of waiting for a phone that was announced over 2 months ago. If your product is this unstable; as AT&T is saying, then why release it in other countries?? Just doesn't make sense to me and if anyone here can give me some sort of clarity on the subject it would be greatly appreciated because I honestly have no idea whats going on in NA right now.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,131 Global Posts
    PIN
    g... One Ping only please!

Quote Originally Posted by Burton8219 View Post
    All I can really say here is that both RIM and AT&T have dropped the ball BIG TIME. How is it that software builds are performing this badly on the phones in North America, while we hear nothing bad about the phones launched in Asia, Europe, and Central America?? I am getting really tired of waiting for a phone that was announced over 2 months ago. If your product is this unstable; as AT&T is saying, then why release it in other countries?? Just doesn't make sense to me and if anyone here can give me some sort of clarity on the subject it would be greatly appreciated because I honestly have no idea whats going on in NA right now.
    Burton, there isn't another carrier on the planet has the extensive system of device testing that at&t does. To date only the iPhone is outside this system, field testers do not get to test it before it comes out and you see what happens. Some carriers outside of the US hold off releasing a device until at&t has finished it's testing, others don't and have similar problems.

When this device was announced it was announced as coming late summer 2008 and that is still the schedule from what I can tell.

I have been replying less often for a couple of reasons, first I have been busy the last couple weeks, and second because the discussion here has focused largely on dates and angry users who can't wait for the device to be released.

Yes, it is by far the best Blackberry to come out, and I believe it is the best device period that I have tested or used. That doesn't mean that it will be just thrown out there like the iPhone was.....
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    PIN
    Check BB exchange

Awesome cant wait, I'm glad to hear that they're getting everything cleared up before they release it. I just want it already. Since the OS have different battery life how to they stack up to a curves battery life?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

i do find it pretty remarkable that people are getting so furious over delays when neither rim nor at&t have announced any dates...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    PIN
    3118b4c0

I would also like to hear about the Bold battery life. is it horrible like the iphone or hopefully comparable to the battery life I get from my 8310. Thanks
    Retired Mod

Global Posts
    13,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RidiculousHat View Post
    i do find it pretty remarkable that people are getting so furious over delays when neither rim nor at&t have announced any dates...
    Yes that is correct. At&t never did announce a release date so in reality, nothing has been delayed. It was all just rumors of when it could be released.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

I'm not pissed that the Bold has been delayed, because you are right; the Bold was never announced. I am annoyed that RIM announced a phone that was nowhere near being released.

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy

Well... I am almost ready to go back to a Curve at this point. My 8100 is finally crapping out on me and whatever is holding the release back is really getting me annoyed. At this rate my second line will be eligible for an upgrade.
    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jayden0606 View Post
    Well... I am almost ready to go back to a Curve at this point. My 8100 is finally crapping out on me and whatever is holding the release back is really getting me annoyed. At this rate my second line will be eligible for an upgrade.
    Thank you Jayden. I can't believe that there aren't more people on here that are fed up with this already. Who cares if AT&T has a tradition for in house testing... I have heard no bad news about the units that went to Europe and Chile, so what is wrong with the units that are in North America??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast