Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default blackberry bold EDGE and 3G

To conserve battery is it beneficial to use EDGE when my phone is idle? If i need the power of 3G i can easily switch so does EDGE save battery?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default 3G

Is there any way to turn off the 3G on the Bold and use EDGE like you can on the iphone 3G were i live sucks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just got my bold yesterday and it does not look like you can switch to EDGE
    Only 2G and 3G
    CrackBerry User

Yes, I have found only using 2G saves batt life. Quickest way of doing it is thru "manage connections" on home screen, then go to "mobile network options" then chose"network mode" and 2G. Hope that helps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by wrhfinancial View Post
    I just got my bold yesterday and it does not look like you can switch to EDGE
    Only 2G and 3G
    If you change network settings to 2G only, you will get GPRS or EDGE, depending on your operator.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

for the people above who said u cant switch....you can.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Pls tell me how if i can i will take my iphone back and get the Bold again.When i was on the phone with AT&T teck support i was told you can not turn off the 3g at all that is why i got the iphone becouse you can.3g suck were i like but i can walk 300 yards or so and get full 3g.Mybe i shoud move to a new house
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

You can definitely change 3G to 2G.. its in the network option.

Manage Connections -> Mobile Network Options -> Scroll down to 3G and select 2G.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    PIN
    A COLODAS MAKE ME ILL.

AT&T branded Bolds can not switch, the option has been disabled by the carrier.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K underwear turns me on

Loopy is right. Besides, turning off 3G doesn't consevre battery life. The phone doesn't constantly search for a 3G connection like it does for wifi.

CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bozo089 View Post
    To conserve battery is it beneficial to use EDGE when my phone is idle? If i need the power of 3G i can easily switch so does EDGE save battery?
    Oh God i am sick with my Bold, the battery is so thirsty and event i try to switch with 2G but still can not (the carrier is AT&T)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    PIN
    AND TELLER

That's pretty dumb of AT&T to disable that.
    CrackBerry Newbie

if you get your bold unlocked, you can switch to 2G and get EDGE
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    33,439 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clau012 View Post
    if you get your bold unlocked, you can switch to 2G and get EDGE
    This is a very old thread. Even a 9000 locked to AT&T can switch from 3G to 2G if the latest official AT&T OS is installed.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,796 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    Loopy is right. Besides, turning off 3G doesn't consevre battery life. The phone doesn't constantly search for a 3G connection like it does for wifi.

Actually turning off 3G does conserve battery life. If the phone is in 3G or 2G mode it is going to search for a 3G connection which causes it to drain, and a 3G connection is going to drain your battery faster than 2G.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

I agree with Donnation. Turning off 3G absolutely improves battery life, especially if you have spotty coverage, and an AT&T bold can indeed switch to 2G only, just as Code85 described. I have at least an extra bar at the end of the day if I never use 3G.
    Bold 9000, OS 5.0.0.681
    Storm 9530, OS 5.0.0.797
    Both on AT&T
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Then my phone must be sick. My battery lasts for over 48 hours with no 3G but if I turn 3G on it dies in under 12....
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

This is quite normal, as explained 3G suck your battery, so you will get a lot more time with your bold if you shut 3G and stay with only 2G.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2709xxx

Default Edge and 3G

Quote Originally Posted by bozo089 View Post
    On the 9000, you can change from 3G to 2G, though not a good idea. If you are burning through battery in a day, you are either talking an awful lot, or using a lot of data. Ways to save are to be sure than unneccessary programs are closed, they run in the background and suck battery life. Only one you really need running is Twitter if you use it.

If you are ultimately burning through battery regardless, buy the larger battery, I have had that and could not go through it in a very busy day at a trade show, or do what I do, always keep an extra battery in your pocket.
    rretlaf