Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry Bold 9000 no red light, nothing.... unless....

I have a blackberry bold 9000 that was sitting in the golvebox of my dad's car for the past 3 years. I wanted to use the phone and the first thing I discovered was that the battery swelled to 3 times it size. Knowing the battery is dead, I tried to source a battery from radioshack and spent 3 hours trying to get the phone turn on but it would only come on intermittently with the battery screen. Anyway my house is about 52F inside and when I plug the blackberry into its charger, nothing happens, the red led won't come on, the battery screen saying there is no battery installed doesn't come on, nothing. I tried out this suggestion here: Last resort fix for dead bold (no red led) of removing the CMOS battery but that didn't work either. I could not figure out why the phone was coming on some of the time when in radio shack but not at all when at home. I thought a bit more about what could be failing and figured that this could be temperature related...

So with the rear cover off and no battery installed (I decided not to buy a battery until I was sure the phone would work) I took a hairdryer and blew hot air onto the phone for some time. I plugged the phone into the charger and the red LED came on, then off then the screen came up informing me that there is no battery installed. I now have two questions:
    1. Is there a way to test out the phone w/o a battery installed (get the phone to load the desktop)
    2. If the phone does not come on in a cold room and barely came on in a building that was at least 70F inside, this would imply temperature is a factor. So the question I have now is, is the PMIC the problem or are the electrolytic capacitors the problem? I've noticed on older computers (10yrs+) the capacitors tend to fail at colder temperatures and this causing this computer to crash, have hardware faults, etc... But when the room temperature is brought up to about 80F, the computer miraculously start working better again. I'm thinking the reason there are many users who cannot get their blackberry to turn on is because the capacitors have failed or are failing to do their job and since old capacitors don't work as well in cold temps like they used to, the electronics become non functional until the capacitors are warmed to their ideal temperature where they'll start working again.

Has anyone had success in repairing their phones? Who did you take your phone to and what did they do? Has anyone replaced the capacitors on their phones before? It would seem most electronics fail because the capacitors go bad more than anything else.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

It's more likely just the battery
    I'm still alive, walkin' in the sunshine And if I die, I'm dyin' with a smile on my face
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

The battery is irrelevant because I don't have a battery at this time. Phone doesn't come on at all when plugged into charger in cold house. However if I warm up the phone with a blow dryer, the red led comes on and then the screen with the bad battery comes up...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just posted this in another thread, the second part would be pertinent to your issue:

"Might be that the battery is toast and won't take a charge anymore as well. USB alone to a computer isn't enough juice to get it to start up and connect to the software."