Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Best Third Party Sat Nav

Hi,

Can people share their knowledge / advice on what is the best Sat Nav software out there for Blackberry? ~(Bold but will try options for 8800 etc.)

Ive tried a couple but dont seem to get along with them, amAze and Nav4all to name them.

I know garmin do sat nav for blackberry, anyone used this?

Thanks

D
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    PIN
    Check BB exchange

I've heard from other users that garmin works like a charm. Plus now that you have a cutting edge (ahem...3G ) blackberry that you can hold onto for a while it makes sense to purchase the one time fee for 99$ from garmin which is good for the life of your device ( i believe it is registered to your pin) so as im sure you plan on keeping the bold for a while it would be wise to get this instead of paying $10 a month for however long you have the phone.

Depends what you want to do with GPS. Take a browse through the GPS & Mapping board here on CB, see what other users have found before you give away precious government beer-vouchers.
    CrackBerry User

Default Garmin

I was in touch with the Garmin people and they said that they do not support the Bold 9000 with the Garmin Blackberry product.

Wasn't sure if I should buy it. Anyone actually tried it yet?
    CrackBerry User

I'm running the 30 day free trial of Telenav and it works well..but you have to download the maps as you go.

Have also tried Telmap but just cannot get it to see the Internal GPS - I've now had email from Telmap support team saying the 9000 is not yet supported but they are working on a resolution...just now sure what the timeline is.
    CrackBerry User

I have used WisePilot (www.wisepilot.com) for my two last trips (in ireland and Italy) and I find it very intuitive, fast and precise. They have a licence for North America and Europe.

There is a 5 days trial available.

Andr
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    PIN
    @SurrealCivic

I'm using the 3 day trial of Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry on my Bold, just installed it yesterday. Works like a charm!! Great software....
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Cushion

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealCivic View Post
    I'm using the 3 day trial of Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry on my Bold, just installed it yesterday. Works like a charm!! Great software....
    That's interesting, as a couple of posts above someone said that it wasn't supported yet!

Must look into it a bit further, I think!
    CrackBerry User

Do any of the mentioned GPS software packages have the option of using pre-loaded maps? I'm often out of the service area and change routes often as well.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealCivic View Post
    I wanted to try this out but the website says you have to have a US address to get it. I take it that's how you were able to get it?
    CrackBerry User

Hi where did you get a copy of Garmin?
    CrackBerry User

I ran Garmin Mobile on my 8310 for a couple days, and frankly speaking... I think it's a piece of CRAP. I am a huge Garmin fan, and think their dedicated nav units are fantastic... but the Mobile app for Blackberry leaves a lot to be desired. The map tracking just doesn't update smoothly whatsoever. And map detail is horrendous. Yes, I understand it's only a 320x240 screen, but come on... like for instance, you might see your street name listed on the map... but that's about it, if you're lucky. VERY little mapping information is shown on the screen. Such a lack of information that it made me wonder why I even had the app.

The ONE advantage it has over Google Maps is that it verbally gives you directions. That's great, except with the lack of everything else - it is unacceptable.

Frankly if I had to live with one, I'd choose Google Maps. It doesn't do re-routing, and it doesn't speak to you - but the level of detail and information it gives you is orders of magnitude beyond Garmin for Blackberry.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Cushion

One which some users appear to have tried (and liked) is amAze GPS software.

How does this compare with Google Maps please?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Montala View Post
    One which some users appear to have tried (and liked) is amAze GPS software.

How does this compare with Google Maps please?
    Personally I haven't used that one yet. Maybe I'll install it later this evening.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Cushion

Thanks... I will be interested to hear what you think of it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    PIN
    @SurrealCivic

Quote Originally Posted by drb227 View Post
    I wanted to try this out but the website says you have to have a US address to get it. I take it that's how you were able to get it?
    I called Garmin and they instructed me, as a user in Canada, to go to Handango - Software for mobile devices or Handmark | Software for your Palm, Blackberry, Pocket PC, Treo, PDA and Windows Mobile Smartphone Devices and get the software there. That is what I did, I downloaded the 3-day trial from Handago.

Installed it on the Bold, used it last night to drive somewhere. I was extremely impressed. The software turned my Bold into a full fledged Garmin GPS unit with Text to Speech and many other features like weather. I actually uninstalled my Weather Network Weather EYE software because this Garmin software is so great.

I will definitely be purchasing this software when my 3-day trial is up.