Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB OS upgrade using Windows 7

just thought i'd share my experience with trying to upgrade my BB OS to .237 while using Windows 7.

didn't work.

i would make it to the step after backup data (loading java?), and it would lock up on me. tried launching the loader as administrator, same result.

thankfully, i've got XP on a separate partition, so i d/l'd the os file there and it ran without a hitch.
    CrackBerry User

Off topic, but how are you liking Windows 7? I chose to stay with XP when Vista came out. Vista was too much of a memory hog

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Sassinater View Post
    Off topic, but how are you liking Windows 7? I chose to stay with XP when Vista came out. Vista was too much of a memory hog

best os ever (and i've used every flavour of windows, the latest handful of macs, and a couple linux variants). you still need min 1gb ram to get it working well, but it's a bajillion times faster than xp (as prev mentioned, i have dual-boot between win7/xp, so i can compare), and the eye candy works flawlessly even with my 256mb shared on-board video on my laptop. UAC has been neutered and only bugs you when something tries to be installed, so that alleviates a lot of the gripes people had with vista.

assuming MS can overcome the vista-rep hurdle, this will be the best thing since sliced bread.
    CrackBerry Genius

Dooodododoo
    Control panel
    Power options
    Change power settings for the one your using (high performance, balanced, battery saver, custom, etc)
    Change advanced settings

Under usb
    Turn off "selective suspend"
    Or whatever it is called
    And you can upgrade in windows 7

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by nah.uhh View Post
    Dooodododoo
    Control panel
    Power options
    Change power settings for the one your using (high performance, balanced, battery saver, custom, etc)
    Change advanced settings

Under usb
    Turn off "selective suspend"
    Or whatever it is called
    And you can upgrade in windows 7

nice! didn't even realise that win7 had that feature!

i guess that also explains why i was unable to run a successful backup to my external hdd off my desktop machine...
    CrackBerry Genius

I'm loving Win7, i upgraded from .234 to .244 using win7.

Win 7 is great for a beta, but then again, I love Vista and I have a beast of a system, so I don't mind using it.
    Living the world of Blackberry and a fan of the comeback!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,836 Global Posts

I, too, enjoy Vista (Ultimate 64bit) but I haven't given Windows 7 a try yet. Hmm...
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by dsac View Post
    best os ever (and i've used every flavour of windows, the latest handful of macs, and a couple linux variants). you still need min 1gb ram to get it working well, but it's a bajillion times faster than xp (as prev mentioned, i have dual-boot between win7/xp, so i can compare), and the eye candy works flawlessly even with my 256mb shared on-board video on my laptop. UAC has been neutered and only bugs you when something tries to be installed, so that alleviates a lot of the gripes people had with vista.

assuming MS can overcome the vista-rep hurdle, this will be the best thing since sliced bread.
    good to hear! I might have to give the BETA a try
    CrackBerry Abuser

just thought i'd share my experience with trying to upgrade my BB OS to .237 while using Windows 7.

didn't work.

i would make it to the step after backup data (loading java?), and it would lock up on me. tried launching the loader as administrator, same result.

thankfully, i've got XP on a separate partition, so i d/l'd the os file there and it ran without a hitch.

No luck here. I'm using Windows 7 inside of Sun's Virtualbox on my mac. I can backup and restore the blackberry but I can't update the OS as the connection between the DM and the BB drops. I disabled USB selective suspend, played around with compatibility mode and even tried some earlier versions of the DM. Nothing.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by tmarkt View Post
    No luck here. I'm using Windows 7 inside of Sun's Virtualbox on my mac. I can backup and restore the blackberry but I can't update the OS as the connection between the DM and the BB drops. I disabled USB selective suspend, played around with compatibility mode and even tried some earlier versions of the DM. Nothing.
    Have you tried using the loader.exe?
    Or even
    Backup3rd party apps
    Backup settings and device data
    Wipe
    And then loader.exe?

programfiles/commonfiles/researchinmotion/apploader/ loader.exe

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by nah.uhh View Post
    Have you tried using the loader.exe?
    Or even
    Backup3rd party apps
    Backup settings and device data
    Wipe
    And then loader.exe?

programfiles/commonfiles/researchinmotion/apploader/ loader.exe

Yes, I did try the loader.exe. I double-clicked it and tried the install from that point but no luck.

Not sure what you meant by backup3rd party apps and settings and device data.
    I can back up the BB with the destktop manager as well as restore the BB. So I can communicate with it until I start the OS upgrade process.

Thanks for the tips by the way...

Mark
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    PIN
    20DCB504

For Microsoft Windows Vista (and windows 7)

Click Start, and type device manager in the Start Search box.
    Click Device Manager in the Programs list.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    Right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab.
    Remove the check from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
    Repeat steps 1 through 4 for each USB Root Hub listed in the Device Manager.

windows 7 beta works fine.
    CrackBerry User

i've successfully used 7 beta to upgrade the bb os a number of times without changing any settings first. just lucky i guess
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

i have no issues either
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    28765D1A

nice! didn't even realise that win7 had that feature!

i guess that also explains why i was unable to run a successful backup to my external hdd off my desktop machine...
    Thank you SOOOOOOOO much for posting this. I was almost to the point of downgrading my OS just so I could backup my BB. Now everything works as well on my home PC (Win7) as on my work PC (XP).

IF all the quirks in Win7 are this simple to fix, I'll definitely be buying a copy when the Beta expires.

Thanks again. You saved my (BB) life!
    CrackBerry User

my internet just stopped working on win 7 but i never tried to fix the issue (probably a driver) ill work on it in a week or two but im pumped for RC1 my buddy is a Microsoft partner so he gets 10 licenses and hes hooking me up with one
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Dimietriev View Post
    For Microsoft Windows Vista (and windows 7)

Click Start, and type device manager in the Start Search box.
    Click Device Manager in the Programs list.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    Right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab.
    Remove the check from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
    Repeat steps 1 through 4 for each USB Root Hub listed in the Device Manager.

windows 7 beta works fine.
    Tried all that and also clicked off USB suspend.
    No go here running windows 7 inside of virtualbox on my mac.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Well, I've now tried using windows 7 inside of Boot Camp with all of the USB power suggestions implemented. Still no luck. The upgrade dies at "uploading the ram image."
    CrackBerry Abuser

When your BB is in the middle of the update process, does the screen go dark?
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'll be danged, it worked!

For the record, you can update your BB running windows 7 in boot camp on a Mac.

Some of the settings:
    -The DM and the "Blackberry Device Manager" were in Windows xp SP3 compatibility mode.
    -I disabled USB selective suspend
    -I used DM v4.7
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Quote Originally Posted by tmarkt View Post
    Well, I've now tried using windows 7 inside of Boot Camp with all of the USB power suggestions implemented. Still no luck. The upgrade dies at "uploading the ram image."
    that's where i'd get stuck too.

i'm not using any bb software, just ran the loader.exe that came with the OS package, could have somethin to do with it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    PIN
    pm me

Changing the usb settings worked for me thanks !

CrackBerry User

I agree with that Win 7 is a good OS. There are a few minor things that bug me, but aside from that it's a worthy upgrade from Vista (which I also liked).