Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wxmancanada
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Ball Won't Scroll Up!!

The ball will scroll page down and go sideways but not up. Is there a way to get back to the top of my messages, contact list etc.??
    Also any idea on what i need to download my contacts to my computer or to my phones sim card?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Rehbein View Post
    The ball will scroll page down and go sideways but not up. Is there a way to get back to the top of my messages, contact list etc.??
    Also any idea on what i need to download my contacts to my computer or to my phones sim card?
    thanks
    Ah yes, the 'ol 900 trackball.

As for getting around, the T key will take you to the TOP of the messages list, B will take you to the bottom. The space key will take you down one page at a time of messages.

This list will probably help you out:
    Message shortcuts - User Guide - BlackBerry Bold 9000 Smartphone - 5.0

Backing up contacts to SIM card is a good solution, but you have to do it one-by-one. There's no mass "write all to SIM" and you can only copy a limited amount. I'll poke some other folks and see what legacy backups tools they recommend.
    Elite1 likes this.

Global Posts
    12,338 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

Hi Barry,
    Welcome to CrackBerry!
    Please update your profile to include device, carrier, and location. Makes it easier for others to help you.

The trackball is attached to small wheels inside. The vertical at the top is probably dirty.
    When I had a trackball device, I kept a box of small alcohol for cleaning if started sticking. You just keep rubbing the trackball and moving it around a lot in all directions. The alcohol is very pure and will completely evaporate.

In the meantime, tapping the T key will take you to top of page in most environments, like Browser pages or Messages. B takes you to bottom.
    SPACE is Page Down, but SHIFT+SPACE is Page Up.

To back your Contacts and all your other personal data to your PC, download the BlackBerry Desktop Software (frequently referred to as "DM" for its previous name Desktop Manager) to your PC from here:
    BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry OS Software - Canada
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,639 Global Posts

Ah... the ol' trackball won't scroll trick....

As the others have said. One thing to add to Elite1 suggestion, is to use a plain sheet of white paper (like printer paper). Put the Bold face down on the paper, gently but swifty, roll it out in circles and figure 8's switching directions for a few seconds.

By Gently, I mean *don't* press down, just allow the weight of the phone to apply pressure. By swiftly, I mean like when you sign your name. Not too fast, you're not trying to start a fire.

Then try it. If it doesn't work, try repeating on a clean sheet.

I've done this on my 8800 and 9000 and was able to keep them going for quite awhile. Eventually I had to replace the trackball on my 8800. There are plenty of Youtube videos if you need to go this route.
    --
    8800 (Retired), 9000 (Retired), 9800 (T-Mobile), PB64 WiFi, Droid 4 (VZW)
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I read somewhere in this forum the following tip: Place the blackberry facedown on the wall or any hard surface and just rub it around. Allowing the wall to force the trackball to scroll. This in turn will loosen up anything that got the trackball jammed up. This works for me.