Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Ap Error 205 - BB 9000

I just recently purchased a BB Bold unlocked on EBAY. Opened it up and the BB screen of death appeared. I went to this forum and tried to follow the instructions, but wasnt able to recreate some of the steps.
    forums.crackberry.com/f5/app-error-205-screen-death-problem-solution-26789/
    I also went to BB and downloaded the newest version of the software and it still doesn't work.

I'm not BB tech savvy to know whether this is a major problem and if I should just send the phone back and try to get my money back or if there is an easy fix solution for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Did you find this;
    BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

If this didn't work your BB is probably toast. Has it ever worked, or has it always shown this since it arrived?

IIRC the 205 error means you don't have a valid operating system loaded on the device
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

The BB hasn't worked since I opened it. I've used this site and it still doesn't seem to make any difference:
    blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=1905AEDAB9BF2477EDC068A 355BBA31A&dl=21244B3821B4F9BFD7C4455A31F07DA3&step =4
    Last edited by avhernan; 10-21-2008 at 04:14 PM.
    CrackBerry User

205 Happened to me just after I got mine. Try the steps in the above link. A quick outline of what I did,

1. Download and install the OS from Blackberry for your device/provider.
    2. Start desktop manager
    3. Remove battery from blackberry
    4. Plug in blackberry
    5. It should be recognized in desktop manager (if not, see steps in post above. I went into options | Connection Options then waited for it to appear as USB-PIN)
    6. Go to application loader
    7. I think I then went to Update Applications and reloaded everything
    8. At the end, I re-inserted my battery while still attached so it could reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by avhernan View Post
    The BB hasn't worked since I opened it. I've used this site and it still doesn't seem to make any difference:
    blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=1905AEDAB9BF2477EDC068A 355BBA31A&dl=21244B3821B4F9BFD7C4455A31F07DA3&step =4
    See the instructions in the 'nuked blackberry' how-to I linked above, and make sure you REMOVE VENDOR.XML from the installer files before you try to upload.

If this doesn't work I suspect you have an early pre-production model which will not accept the current operating system versions. The seller would certainly have known about this, and we have seen several cases like this here on the message boards, with almost identical description of the problem right down to 'ebay'. In this case I suggest you have 2 possible options;

(a) Reject the phone, dispute the transaction on ebay (hope you payed by Paypal) and try to recover your money.

(b) Contact RIM with the IMEI and PIN from the battery compartment label, and check the status. Then either follow (a) or file a crime complaint for theft of your money (only really useful if the seller is in your country) - the phone is a brick and you've been scammed.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

thanks for the help. Fortunately, I paid with PayPal and I'm working with them on disputing the phone and have a claim open. It takes 10 days to resolve the claim. I followed the instructions at the above site and removed the vendor>xml file and still no luck. I appreciate the help and I will be more aware of this when bidding on another Bold.

Thanks again.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

After numerous unsuccessful tries I finally got the application to work and I no longer have the application 205 error. Instead, when I plug in the SIM card it tries unsuccessfully to search for the network and then the screen whites out and says Radio core catfailed! and it wants me to reset the phone. Did reinstalling the application network lock the phone? Do I have to unlock the phone or is it just another error?

I did a search on this error and didn't come up with any results.
    Last edited by avhernan; 10-22-2008 at 09:44 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,198 Global Posts
    PIN
    HollisterCO511@aol.com hit me up!

After two weeks, my bold died!.....I've tried this, but so far no luck. Any ideas/tips?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,198 Global Posts
    PIN
    HollisterCO511@aol.com hit me up!

Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    After two weeks, my bold died!.....I've tried this, but so far no luck. Any ideas/tips?
    I keep getting this message at the end of the process:

"A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000005]"
    CrackBerry Newbie

Any solution for the problem of "radio core catfailed" . Experts.....I waiting for your help . please !
    Last edited by lingyeung; 12-31-2008 at 09:41 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    I keep getting this message at the end of the process:

"A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000005]"
    I get this same error. Does anyone have a fix for it?

Thanks