Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    324281EF
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Anyone use Bold and Storm?

Hello folks. I'm wondering if there's anyone who has owned both the Bold and Storm. I recently purchased a Storm and LOVE it. However, I don't get a signal in my apt and I can't see paying Verizon all of that money and not being able to use the phone in my own home.

If you've used both could you please tell me experientially if the Bold is a comparable experience to the Storm.
    PIN: 324281EF
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

The experience isn't going to be comparable because they function completely different...

One has touchscreen, other does not.
    One has wifi, other does not.
    One has physical keyboard, other does not.
    etc
    etc

I own the Bold and I've used the Storm. I highly prefer the Bold since I'm a chat/email junkie, but they aren't similar at all really.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,101 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me.

I don't own both but I prefer the Bold. I love my bold. I used the storm and did not like the feel of it and I am not a fan of touch screens at all. Just my opinion!! The Bold is everything I want/need in a phone. Heck, this thing is like a mini computer in your pocket!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just Ask

I owned the Storm (past tense), I took it back after one week. The OS was horrible, rebooting 3x a day, sticking when switching from landscape to portrait. My email even stop working, lost half of my icons. Basically a nightmare. My Bold is still working like the work horse it is. I even think the Pearl flip is better than the Storm.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

To be fair new OS's are out for the Storm (both official and unofficial) which probably changes a lot of the issues people had early on.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    669 Global Posts

the bold is better IMO.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24AD7667

I own both, as said before the devices really can't be compared. They are two very different devices.

If I had to choose one I would have to take the bold.
  8. bmho

Texting and using the keyboard for the storm is hard on the storm. I like my bold and used a storm. Bold > Storm

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbecker1 View Post
    Hello folks. I'm wondering if there's anyone who has owned both the Bold and Storm. I recently purchased a Storm and LOVE it. However, I don't get a signal in my apt and I can't see paying Verizon all of that money and not being able to use the phone in my own home.

If you've used both could you please tell me experientially if the Bold is a comparable experience to the Storm.
    My ATT contract was up, so I went for the VZW storm. It was terrible, the VZW "network" was virtually nonexistent. It didn't get service indoors. So, after 2 days, switched back to ATT and got the Bold. I loved my ATT 8310, but I like the Bold even more

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    731 Global Posts

I have both. I gave the storm a fair two week trial. Although I much prefer verizon to AT&T the Bold is just too good to give up. Ill sadly be taking the storm back today. Its a good iphone alternative but I won't give up my Bold for it.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,961 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask me.

I wanted a storm but my friends that have one all hate it. 5 of my buddies have storms and all of em have nothing good to say about it. Its too bad as I was hoping it would be a hit

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,495 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PerryNY View Post
    I owned the Storm (past tense), I took it back after one week. The OS was horrible, rebooting 3x a day, sticking when switching from landscape to portrait. My email even stop working, lost half of my icons. Basically a nightmare. My Bold is still working like the work horse it is. I even think the Pearl flip is better than the Storm.
    Spot on!!!...i got a storm on thurs with Vodafone..am in the UK but basically the same unit as the Verizon one. Anyways its a nice phone...i like it but i just cannot get on with it sadly...the screen wobbles alot and that doesnt put alot of faith in me.

I do hope that Blackberry improve on it, much like the iphone and then when they have...i might then have another look at it.

On a side note i just picked up a Bold for a really good price, offline and im getting to grips with it...such an awesome phone
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    24A55F5F

I HAD both and returned the BOLD because of the constant "call failed" notifications I was receiving. I find At&t's network to be inferior to Verizon, so I switched. With that said, the BOLD seems so much faster than the storm. Coming from the iPhone, I don't think I can ever go back to a small screen for web browsing, so that is a pro that the storm has which helped me make my decision. Another advantage is the dual voice and data that At&t's 3G service offers. Its a really hard choice. I was close to keeping them both; I'm not joking.

If it helps make your decision easier, the storm is $100 less. Good luck!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    O Grigio is the ishhh

OP, I can tell you that signal seems to be amazing. My old 8310 would have 1 bar on EDGE in my apt and my Bold gets full bars/4 bars on 3G ALWAYS, which is just awesome.
    CrackBerry User

I first tried the Bold with ATT, my carrier, but was frustrated with the trackball and smaller screen after using an Iphone for so long. So I made a very temporary switch to Verizon to try the Storm thinking I would be happier with the larger touch screen. Nope, took it back after 8 days and ran home to ATT, got the Bold again and am VERY happy with it. I should have given myself more time with it initially. I even managed to do my first upgrade to .190 like a big girl BB owner on a borrowed pc. I use MAC. That is my ONLY frustration at this time and can hardly wait for RIM to come out with a Desktop Manager for MAC.

As another side note, I have tried both Invisible Shield and BSE and highly recommend the BSE. Cheaper and easier to apply, with no bubbles in the screen.
    CrackBerry User

I currently have both. I've had the BOLD since June 2008 and recently got the STORM 3 days ago. They are 2 different phones and cannot be compared. Each has it's own (+) and (-). As a power user, I get about 500 emails a days and constantly on my BB almost most of the time I'm awake. I felt that my productivity decreased using the STORM. I've decided to keep my BOLD for business related tasks and still debating whether or not to keep the STORM.

On the other hand, Owning the STORM is a cool thing. On the looks side of things, it blows the BOLD away.

So it's up to you to decide... It's either you focus to get better and familiar with the STORM and keep the cool factor or be productive and use the BOLD.

Hope this helps.
    CrackBerry Abuser

IMO I think the bold is the best looking bb to date and the 8900 and storm are so similar I would say they're tied for 2a & 2b as far as looks go

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

I had both. My wife, like the communist countries of yore, "nationalized" my Bold in the name of the people (her). So now I have the Storm. They really are 2 different devices. Bottom line is which is more important to you? The hardware keyboard or a larger and more readable (particularly in landscape) screen? For me, the latter, since being an older guy, I don't text too much, and my reading vision isn't as good as it used to be. But it really depends on your usage. If you do a lot of typing, and you don't access the web so much, the Bold probably would fit better.
    Jeffrey Kent aka Genghis Khent
    My blog: Mobile Barbarian

I've used my friends Storm and I own a Bold. The Storm is pretty frustrating. Lag time and all. Typing is pretty hard too. No question, the Bold for me.

CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    pm me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have both, & the Storm can't touch the Bold! Actually I prefer using my Curve 8310 updated with OS 4.5 to the Storm. My job pays my VZW bill so I really don't worrk about it much! As far as my phone selection, the Bold has replaced the IPhone 3G in my weekely phone rotation!
    CrackBerry User

I was up with my contract with T-Mo, so I bought the Bold and used it for 3 days then returned it to ATT since if you cancel service within 3 days you don't have to pay them anything. I knew I loved the Bold but the Storm was coming out for VZW and I decided to try that out. Just under 3 weeks of heavy email use have passed, and I'm returning my Storm tomorrow while I'm in VZW's 30 day return window. Bottom line on both devices:

STORM:
    -Not good to type on. You will commit more typos as the screen click doesn't register everytime you push the button.
    -Early OS still means many bugs being worked out, which will frustrate you as the end user
    -Actual speaker in the handset is very quiet/muffled. Difficult to hear people even with volume on hi, especially outdoors. Speakerphone is terrible.
    -On the plus side, large screen is great for browsing and in my area (Chicago) I find VZW's service much better than ATTs.

BOLD:
    -Excellent keyboard; love the softer feel to the keys and the way they are spaced.
    -Earpiece speaker is great, perfectly clear conversations. And when you turn on the speaker phone, it is amazing how loud and clear it is (Bold has 2 speakers, Storm has 1)
    -Less worried about having to replace the unit if it falls, whereas this is a constant concern with the Storm
    -Unfortunately, the Bold is BIG. For those of us who use our BBs as work and personal phones, you often will wear jeans and hear the line "is that a Bold in your pocket or are you just happy to see me". That is my biggest critique of the device.

Overall, I think Bold>Storm.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    255c028d

Just bought the storm let it come and ill let you know.
    Reality continues to Ruin my life
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask me!

I have a BOLD but I am considering getting a Storm as my weekend/outings phone.

Does anyone else have this type of setup?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    PIN
    249E3AF2

I prefer the Bold any day. I've used the Storm, and I have friends with the Storm and they all hate it.
    CrackBerry User

Hi everyone,

I am an AT&T customer up for a renewal, currently I am trying the Storm. At first it was the pits! Until I upgraded the software to .75. It improved significantly but it still lags a bit, or gets stuck. Its really unfortunate because it is such a beautiful phone! I just don't want to give up that screen. I am still on the fence about both.
    "Viva Las Vegas Baby!"
    ----------------------
    Although I'm Bold, I've decided to kick it up a notch and become a Storm!

Funny BB commercial!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxU9supUJQQ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast