Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9000 phasing out??

I love my 9000, my provider is at&t. i had to take it in because my speaker blew they traded it no questions asked for a new one. The tech gives me my new phone and says try to hang on to this one till right around dec. Because the Bolds are gonna be phased out if you bring it in around then you'll probably get a tour. Is this just at&t or blackberry phasing 9000 out??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts

I noticed on the ATT site that the 9000 is listed as "Out of Stock". There are still 9000s without camera available. My guess is that RIM is no longer making them and ATT has enough in stock as replacements to last until December. There are parts available on line and one of the things I love about this phone is that it is pretty simple to replace components.

With that said, I personally am feeling the pull towards the new Torch 9800. While the keyboard is thinner, the idea of all that app memory available is looking very appealing.
    Future Blackberry Bold 9900
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,241 Global Posts

ATT has the Tour? I think you were miss informed.

CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by kitty76 View Post
    Because the Bolds are gonna be phased out if you bring it in around then you'll probably get a tour. Is this just at&t or blackberry phasing 9000 out??

Quote Originally Posted by Fubaz View Post
    ATT has the Tour? I think you were miss informed.

+1 AT&T doesn't have the Tour.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would definitely say the 9000 is being phased out. I worked for Rogers in Canada for a bit last month, and we weren't getting any more 9000s.

There's really no point with the 9700. Most people didn't even want to look at the 9000 when a 9700 was on display next to it. I found a lot of customers thought the 9000 looked too big and bulky.

If anything, the tech might have been implying you'd get a 9300 Curve, not the 9600 Tour.
    Last edited by BlackPooL; 09-10-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPooL View Post
    If anything, the tech might have been implying you'd get a 9300 Curve, not the 9600 Tour.
    I would think that they would give a 9700 in place of a defective/broken 9000, since that is the next in the Bold line. Just a guess....
    CrackBerry User

I had a Bold 9000, but here was some of my reasons why I switched out of it..

1. The applcation memory was the same as a $20 Curve 8300 which bothered me.
    2. The Trackball type of Blackberry's are pretty much at the end of there life, and I don't think that RIM will be making anymore of a new line of Blackberry's with Trackballs.
    3. Even though AT&T just released an update for the 5.0 Software, I know sooner or later most likely the 9700 will recieve OS6, which is a HUGE difference from OS5
    4. The technology on that phone is actually quite old now considering I was able to get a Bold 9700 with newer technology for the same price.

Things I miss:
    1. I liked the feel of my Bold 9000 a bit more, I like to sort of have a big chunky phone to carry around, and it has a certain weight too it.
    2. The keyboard had a very nice feel too it when sending messages, It was certainly not quiet like my new 9700, but it had a great feel
    3. I liked the style of it a bit more than I do of my 9700, which feels the same as a Curve does, sort of cheap.
    4. Screen was a bit bigger (At least it appeared like that to me).

Anyways, I still will be sticking with the 9700, which is still very nice to use.
    Upgraded to a Bold 9700.. What a difference...

Follow me on Twitter: Willie498

MSN: willie498@live.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts

Willie,
    I tried going to the 9700 and while I really liked the newer OS (this was prior to the ATT release for the 9K) as well as the track pad (awesome improvement), I couldn't get used to:
    1. how light it was - almost fragile
    2. the smaller keyboard
    3. browsing on it, the type/fonts appeared smaller than on the 9000. maybe due to the narrower screen.

So I returned it and loaded an east Asian version of 5.0.822 on my 9000. That was a great improvement. Many 9K users have been hoping RIM might come out with a newer Bold in the 9K form factor but with beefed up App memory and a track pad. After seeing the previews for the 9780, it appears RIM has no plans for a 9K form factor device.

The Torch is looking pretty good to me at this point despite the smaller keyboard (bigger display, lots of memory).
    CrackBerry User

Yeah I agree with you on some of them, except for the font bit. The keyboard is different to get used to. The trackpad is QUITE different from the Trackball, but like I said, I'm just going to keep it because of the Software improvements along with the hardware differences. It's a good phone, but I will miss some bits of the 9k that I will not be seeing anymore
    Upgraded to a Bold 9700.. What a difference...

Follow me on Twitter: Willie498

MSN: willie498@live.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

the only reason i would say it is facing out is becouse of the 9700. ive had both and love both. like pete777 said, their just no longer making them since there are newer models.
    CrackBerry Genius

the Bold 9000 is one of the Best Blackberry out there.. especially the stereo speakers and the keyboard...
    all i can complain about is the constant memory leak..
    aside from that.. it's one great device

CrackBerry User

I have the torch right now, I have a att friend, and later on this week I'm trading it back in for the 9000, I miss tthe 9000 sooo much. I like os 5 better too. It depends on how u use a phone really. The keyboard on the 9000 is amazing. Trackball sucks, but its whatever. Wish it had more memmory. But I don't have 100 apps on my phone, I only have 3 on my phones, so the app memmory is not a issue for me. I can't wait to go back to a 9000. I like the bulkier phone, only phone I ever fell in love with.

PS: the torch is terrible. The touchsxcreen is terrible on it. The latest osleak helped, but it frEezes and hits the otheR side of the keyboard, I take my battery out of this phone more then I ever did when I had the 9000

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfrosty View Post
    I have the torch right now, I have a att friend, and later on this week I'm trading it back in for the 9000, I miss tthe 9000 sooo much. I like os 5 better too. It depends on how u use a phone really. The keyboard on the 9000 is amazing. Trackball sucks, but its whatever. Wish it had more memmory. But I don't have 100 apps on my phone, I only have 3 on my phones, so the app memmory is not a issue for me. I can't wait to go back to a 9000. I like the bulkier phone, only phone I ever fell in love with.

PS: the torch is terrible. The touchsxcreen is terrible on it. The latest osleak helped, but it frEezes and hits the otheR side of the keyboard, I take my battery out of this phone more then I ever did when I had the 9000

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I love the 9000. The size and the feel are great. It feels like the high end device that it is. I am also a fan of OS 5. I don't really need the webkit browser or universal search. I chose the 9000 over the 9700 because of the keyboard and screen size. I haven't downloaded any other apps to the phone. Whatever came with OS 5 is what I have. I have around 26 MB of application memory free and that's all I need. The phone is really fast, call quality is great, and battery life is superb. By the way, I like the white trackball. It looks great on the phone when it is clean.

CrackBerry User

hey whats going on guys? hope everyone is well.
    I own a blackberry storm (verizon). I've had it for about a year and a half now and i can honestly say this is the worst phone i have ever owned. haha..
    I've been thinking about leaving Verizon for AT&T. I'm leaning towards the 9000 (because thats the only blackberry i feel is worth it) due to its large screen and keyboard. The bold 9650 is nice but i dont like the keyboard, the 9700 the same.

Is there any reason why i shouldn't get the 9000? besides the trackball being **** after a few months. lol can you all give me a list of its pros and cons? id appreciate it and also your own personal opinion

- what i've read so far in this thread tells me i should get it, but idk.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    560 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mark_rivers19 View Post
    the Bold 9000 is one of the Best Blackberry out there.. especially the stereo speakers and the keyboard...
    all i can complain about is the constant memory leak..
    aside from that.. it's one great device
    I agree with you Mark. I picked up a white 9700 for my wife, but I still love my 9000.
    BlackBerry. Life is Bold.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycs View Post
    hey whats going on guys? hope everyone is well.
    I own a blackberry storm (verizon). I've had it for about a year and a half now and i can honestly say this is the worst phone i have ever owned. haha..
    I've been thinking about leaving Verizon for AT&T. I'm leaning towards the 9000 (because thats the only blackberry i feel is worth it) due to its large screen and keyboard. The bold 9650 is nice but i dont like the keyboard, the 9700 the same.

Is there any reason why i shouldn't get the 9000? besides the trackball being **** after a few months. lol can you all give me a list of its pros and cons? id appreciate it and also your own personal opinion

- what i've read so far in this thread tells me i should get it, but idk.
    Get an AT&T branded Bold 9000 on ebay ( $150.00) black or white.
    so you won't have to sign a new 2 yr contract with AT&T.
    and upgrade to the latest OS 5.
    and you're good to go

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts

I wouldn't say that the 9000 is the only BlackBerry on AT&T that's worth getting. I think that all of them are worth it. However, the Bold 9000 is a good choice. The only drawbacks for that device are that it won't be getting OS 6 and after the OS 5 update, there isn't a lot of application memory left for a lot of apps. But if you are like I am and really don't have a need for a lot of apps, then the 9000 may be the phone for you. I will have to say this, the keyboard is the best I have ever used. Its by far the most enjoyable typing experience on a smartphone.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by mark_rivers19 View Post
    Get an AT&T branded Bold 9000 on ebay ( $150.00) black or white.
    so you won't have to sign a new 2 yr contract with AT&T.
    and upgrade to the latest OS 5.
    and you're good to go
    yes, i was thinking that! i just need to find a brand new one. I found a bunch of used ones. if you come across a new one do you mind sending me the link?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I wouldn't say that the 9000 is the only BlackBerry on AT&T that's worth getting. I think that all of them are worth it. However, the Bold 9000 is a good choice. The only drawbacks for that device are that it won't be getting OS 6 and after the OS 5 update, there isn't a lot of application memory left for a lot of apps. But if you are like I am and really don't have a need for a lot of apps, then the 9000 may be the phone for you. I will have to say this, the keyboard is the best I have ever used. Its by far the most enjoyable typing experience on a smartphone.

true. one of my main reasons for wanting to get the 9000 is because of its size. i don't like the other BB keyboards. I had the 8830, loved that keyboard, i still think the best keyboard was on the 8703, haha.

i dont really run apps anymore? kinda over it. I just need Twitter and Flixster. thats all i use.
    Last edited by Jaycs; 09-23-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts

I hear you about the apps. I have had an iPhone and Android device and have downloaded a ton of apps for both of them and I hardly used them. Now I just have the apps I need. I have only utilized the apps that came with the phone and the new update. I didn't even download the app world application. I did update bbm, but that was all. I will have to disagree about the keyboard though. The 9000 keyboard is by far the best keyboard I have ever put my thumbs on. it feels so good and it is so spacious. The typing experience is definitely enjoyable.

CrackBerry User

also, whats a good way to go with with this? i kinda don't want to have a new 2 yr contract with the 9000. i need unlimited text and a great data plan. not too crazy about minutes cause i'm barely on the phone.

whats a good plan? at&t noob here.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I hear you about the apps. I have had an iPhone and Android device and have downloaded a ton of apps for both of them and I hardly used them. Now I just have the apps I need. I have only utilized the apps that came with the phone and the new update. I didn't even download the app world application. I did update bbm, but that was all. I will have to disagree about the keyboard though. The 9000 keyboard is by far the best keyboard I have ever put my thumbs on. it feels so good and it is so spacious. The typing experience is definitely enjoyable.

yeah, i never actually typed on the 9000. i may have typed a sentence. i know the keyboard is amazing. I'm not with the small keyboards on the 9700's or verizon 9650's.

OS 5 looks very nice on the 9000. At this point i just need a phone that works. because my storm dies after 15 minutes off the charger. crashes and all that then turns off. bull****.