I am using BB 9900 on BES plan, I am having 2 issues:

1- When I remove Whatsapp from my BB, it wipes the phone contacts with it, I tried this issue several times.
    All we know about this issue is:
    - Its quite rare, and we've never seen it ourselves, so we have no way of directly debugging it. (Yes, we do have a lot of test devices.)
    - When it does happen to someone, it tends keeps happening to them. (and it also tends to happen with other address-book-integrated apps as well)
    - It has to be a bug in the OS, since there's no way a 3rd party app should ever be able to actually cause this issue. (and its been reported from a wide variety of OS versions)

While I can't make any promises that it'll help us figure it out, there is something you could try that would help us get to the bottom of it, if you are willing to reproduce it.

1. From the home screen of your device, hold down "Alt" and press the key sequence "lglg" to open the event logger (easy to search for help on that one, if its not clear)
    2. Press the menu key, and go to "Options"
    3. Press the menu key, and select "Hide all types"
    4. Scroll down and check the following item (click, choose "Toggle filter"): "Java Exception"
    5. Close the event logger screen, saving changes
    6. Uninstall WhatsApp, and let your device reboot
    7. If your address book is now mysteriously cleared, return to the Event Logger (Alt-lglg, as above)
    8. See if there are any big bold log items, with words like "Exception" in them.
    9. Click on those items, copy the contents (its a menu option), paste into an e-mail, and send them to me (via PM if possible)

If we're lucky, there will be logged exceptions that say something related to the address book. Even if they're not useful to us, they can always be sent off to RIM for a second look.
    Hello, good to know that I'm not the only person experiencing this problem. I've been experiencing two cases in my workplace about this issue and believe it or not they happened to Blackberry with OS 5 (one of them is Curve 8520). I haven't had the chance to look about the version of their OS or their whatsapp version, but they are experiencing the same problem : their phone books are empty after rebooting and probably it's because of whatsapp.

The first case told me he try to upgrade his whatsapp and after he successfully upgrade then reboot, suddenly all of his contacts in phone books are lost.
    The second case told me he is trying to uninstall whatsapp from his blackberry, and after the device rebooted suddenly his phone books are empty.

I'm googling about this problem and I haven't found any clue about it since there haven't been a lot cases in this issue. But please consider this as a serious issue since I've been experiencing it myself, two times and two days in a row so that quite bothers me. Thank you.
    08-05-12 01:23 PM
    If you can follow the steps I suggested to sherifbmw in an attempt to capture some error information, that would be extremely helpful. While several people (who run the gamut of device/OS versions) have reported this issue, thus far none have provided any actual data that can help us pin down the issue.

(Obviously do backups first, and also include anything you can about the devices, OS's, and configurations... e.g. BIS vs BES, security policies, if relevant, etc.)
    08-06-12 11:48 AM
    Hey,
    I am facing two problems with the Whatsapp Messenger.
    1. Whenever I delete Whatsapp messenger from my phone, all my contacts get deleted.
    2. At times, I have a contact saved in my phone, but Whatsapp doesn't recognize the saved contact and shows me the number of that contact in the messenger and also asks me either to block the contact or to add it. But the contact is already added to my phone contacts. :s

I am running the latest Whatsapp Messenger and am using Blackberry 9900 running on OS 7.1.0.569. I was facing the same issue on OS 7.1.0.342.

Please help.

Regards,
    giggu
    Last edited by giggu; 08-14-12 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Wanted to set the notification type.
    08-14-12 12:55 PM
    Hey,
    I am facing two problems with the Whatsapp Messenger.
    1. Whenever I delete Whatsapp messenger from my phone, all my contacts get deleted.
    2. At times, I have a contact saved in my phone, but Whatsapp doesn't recognize the saved contact and shows me the number of that contact in the messenger and also asks me either to block the contact or to add it. But the contact is already added to my phone contacts. :s

I am running the latest Whatsapp Messenger and am using Blackberry 9900 running on OS 7.1.0.569. I was facing the same issue on OS 7.1.0.342.

Please help.

Regards,
    giggu
    If you would have read 5 posts above yours, you would have seen the response to problem #1.
    08-14-12 01:11 PM
    All we know about this issue is:
    - Its quite rare, and we've never seen it ourselves, so we have no way of directly debugging it. (Yes, we do have a lot of test devices.)
    - When it does happen to someone, it tends keeps happening to them. (and it also tends to happen with other address-book-integrated apps as well)
    - It has to be a bug in the OS, since there's no way a 3rd party app should ever be able to actually cause this issue. (and its been reported from a wide variety of OS versions)

While I can't make any promises that it'll help us figure it out, there is something you could try that would help us get to the bottom of it, if you are willing to reproduce it.

1. From the home screen of your device, hold down "Alt" and press the key sequence "lglg" to open the event logger (easy to search for help on that one, if its not clear)
    2. Press the menu key, and go to "Options"
    3. Press the menu key, and select "Hide all types"
    4. Scroll down and check the following item (click, choose "Toggle filter"): "Java Exception"
    5. Close the event logger screen, saving changes
    6. Uninstall WhatsApp, and let your device reboot
    7. If your address book is now mysteriously cleared, return to the Event Logger (Alt-lglg, as above)
    8. See if there are any big bold log items, with words like "Exception" in them.
    9. Click on those items, copy the contents (its a menu option), paste into an e-mail, and send them to me (via PM if possible)

If we're lucky, there will be logged exceptions that say something related to the address book. Even if they're not useful to us, they can always be sent off to RIM for a second look.

We have been working to resolve this one, and have been making progress recently. Are you still experiencing this issue as of the past day or two?

Hi dkonigsberg_wa, I started facing the push messages problem again last few days with different timing which is from around 12 am till 2 am (GMT +2), it was completely resolved but started to appear again, I have to initiate a message to start recieving push messages.
    09-02-12 09:29 AM
    @whatsapp Why I see some internal messages that I cannot erase. They are very annoying.
    09-03-12 01:50 AM
    does this work fully yet? im waiting ! ! [YT][/YT]
    09-03-12 07:08 AM
    Yes it works. You don't get to 78,164 reviews with a 3 three star rating otherwise.

There are always small bugs/issues to address; that is what this thread is for.
    09-03-12 10:31 AM
    I have been trying to get an answer to this for ages and whatsapp support/twitter doesn't seem to get back to users anymore. This worked like a charm and my chat's are saving again! Thanks.
    i tried what was written here but it didnt worked my on bb9700 os 6....
    i tried to un-install re-install but nothing seems to work... i have no problem if my previous conversation gets deleted...all i want is after the bug is fixed my conversations is saved and not get deleted everytime i reboot my phone....
    i tried whatever i was told by whatsapp guys it didnt worked....at the end he said there is problem in your memory card....
    09-05-12 12:43 AM
    I have been trying to get an answer to this for ages and whatsapp support/twitter doesn't seem to get back to users anymore. This worked like a charm and my chat's are saving again! Thanks.
    Originally Posted by ZAZA__
    Hey i just figured it out... First of all go to your Whatsapp Settings and turn the chat history off.... After that you have to go to your Media Card and then to ->databases ->Whatsapp and then there should be a file called: "messageStore.db-journal" and if yes delete it... then go to the settings and turn chat history back on media card ... this solved it for me

i tried what was written here but it didnt worked my on bb9700 os 6....
    i tried to un-install re-install but nothing seems to work... i have no problem if my previous conversation gets deleted...all i want is after the bug is fixed my conversations is saved and not get deleted everytime i reboot my phone....
    i tried whatever i was told by whatsapp guys it didnt worked....at the end he said there is problem in your memory card....
    09-05-12 01:02 AM
    Hey guys, been having problems with Whatsapp the last two days, to put it basically, I cannot send or receive any messages via whatsapp while using 3G, if I connect to a wifi network it works fine. This problem arose two days ago but before that it has been working fine using 3G, I have checked if I have run out of credit and I haven't, i still have the majority of my data left according to vodafone so that can't be the source of the problem.

I have rebooted/battery pulled/re-installed whatsapp several times in the hope that it may change something but have had no luck, is anyone aware of this and is there any way to fix this?
    09-05-12 10:15 AM
    WhatsApp for android and iphone is so much nicer than for blackberry

How about an update that allows you to change the background behind the chat bubbles/boxes ?
    09-07-12 08:59 PM
    I actually like the WhatsApp for BlackBerry, it looks nice and simple, it'd be nice though if we could change the background.

But like for the iPhone, when you open WhatsApp it has to "Connect" first.. which is really annoying.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-07-12 09:22 PM
    3. make sure that Options > Security Options > Application Permissions > WhatsApp > Edit Permissions is set to Allow for everything.
    Now, correct me if I missed something on the thread, but why would anyone (in they're right mind) set permissions to "Allow" everything? There is no way in the world that this app, or possibly any app, should require such settings and/or not be able to function with a more custom set of permissions.

- Is it possible to use whatsapp with a more secure set of permissions?
    - If so, what is the minimum set of permissions (i.e. preventing the app from having free reign over my device and data)?
    - If no, then what possible reason is there for this, and why would I use the app?

I apologise if I sound a bit aggressive but I come from an opensource background and have found the security/policy approach by many apps to be of great concern. Also, I guess many BB users are likely to be more concerned with the security of their device rather than seeing it is as toy for grown-ups.

Anyway, my questions are made in good faith...

-cb
    09-12-12 03:25 AM
    Hey guys, How to add contact manually on playbook? I cant figure out how.

Thanks
    09-12-12 11:38 AM
    Now, correct me if I missed something on the thread, but why would anyone (in they're right mind) set permissions to "Allow" everything? There is no way in the world that this app, or possibly any app, should require such settings and/or not be able to function with a more custom set of permissions.

- Is it possible to use whatsapp with a more secure set of permissions?
    - If so, what is the minimum set of permissions (i.e. preventing the app from having free reign over my device and data)?
    - If no, then what possible reason is there for this, and why would I use the app?

I apologise if I sound a bit aggressive but I come from an opensource background and have found the security/policy approach by many apps to be of great concern. Also, I guess many BB users are likely to be more concerned with the security of their device rather than seeing it is as toy for grown-ups.

Anyway, my questions are made in good faith...

-cb
    Setting all permissions to "Allow" is a "simple answer" solution to permissions issues. That guidance is also from a fairly old post. The truth is that, like any BlackBerry application, there are permissions that WhatsApp does require to function. More recent versions of the app also do a much better job of actually checking if they have the required permissions on startup. If they don't, they will prompt the user with a standard BlackBerry permissions request accordingly.

Most permissions-related problems occur either due to BES policies, or due to necessary permissions being set to "Prompt," with the user denying when requested. (If they also have the "Don't ask me again" box checked, this can have the same long-term effect as "Deny.")
    09-12-12 11:41 AM
    If so, what is the minimum set of permissions (i.e. preventing the app from having free reign over my device and data)?
    It's probably not the minimum, but I have input simulation, browser filtering, security timer reset and display info while locked set to deny, and Phone, location data and recording set to prompt. The app works fine with these settings.

Setting all permissions to "Allow" is a "simple answer" solution to permissions issues. That guidance is also from a fairly old post. The truth is that, like any BlackBerry application, there are permissions that WhatsApp does require to function. More recent versions of the app also do a much better job of actually checking if they have the required permissions on startup. If they don't, they will prompt the user with a standard BlackBerry permissions request accordingly.

Most permissions-related problems occur either due to BES policies, or due to necessary permissions being set to "Prompt," with the user denying when requested. (If they also have the "Don't ask me again" box checked, this can have the same long-term effect as "Deny.")
    Would you mind taking a look at this article and telling us which of the permissions listed are absolutely necessary for Whatsapp? Thanks.
    09-12-12 12:07 PM
    It's probably not the minimum, but I have input simulation, browser filtering, security timer reset and display info while locked set to deny, and Phone, location data and recording set to prompt. The app works fine with these settings.

Would you mind taking a look at this article and telling us which of the permissions listed are absolutely necessary for Whatsapp? Thanks.
    We test for a lot of permissions on startup. For most of them, we're okay with the value being set to "Allow" or "Prompt" (though "Prompt" could get annoying with certain ones). Feel free to experiment. We should be telling you if we don't like your permissions settings.

Connections:
    Phone - Infrequently used, Prompt is okay. (Mainly for some convenience menu items)
    Internet, Wi-Fi - We need to make network connections.
    NFC - We only check on OS 7.1 devices with NFC, and then only care that this is set to anything other than "Prompt". That's because the system FilePicker gets very annoying with its popups otherwise.

Interactions:
    Cross Applications Communications - Needed for a surprising amount of standard functionality, including saving internal app data
    Media - We have a lot of media-oriented features that need this

User data:
    Email - Registration, Tell-A-Friend, Contacting support, and other convenient menu items
    Organizer data - Needed to sync contact data in the app
    Files - Media features, chat history, etc.
    Security data - Secure network connections, etc.
    raino and cbbb90 like this.
    09-12-12 12:46 PM
    ^^wow I honestly did not expect you to reply. Thank you so much for taking the time to do so.
    09-12-12 12:52 PM
    We test for a lot of permissions on startup. For most of them, we're okay with the value being set to "Allow" or "Prompt" (though "Prompt" could get annoying with certain ones). Feel free to experiment. We should be telling you if we don't like your permissions settings.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to these questions. It is much appreciated. I know that 'whatsapp' is just like many current apps, although the improved flow information is certainly encouraging. Nonetheless, I'm not really happy about the necessity to access so many critical areas of my phone, in particular, personal data. But I guess if I'm so uptight about sharing this stuff, maybe I should 'be less social'. Also I ditched almost all non-opensource software about 10 years ago, so the experience (the degree to which most smartphone users are cornered into having little or no control over their own device) with a smart phone comes as a bit of a shock.

-cb
    09-12-12 01:28 PM
    Hello,
    Using Blackberry bold 9700 os6.0 bundle 2475(v 6.0.0.546)
    whatsapp version 2.8.1914

The problem is when I battery pull my mobile all the previous chats are deleted. I tried to delete all contain and reinstall whatsapp, but the problem didn't solved yet.
    Please give the solution.

Thanks
    09-13-12 11:41 AM
    http://www.whatsapp.com/bb/no-media-card

If none of the suggestions in this article work, then please contact support.
    09-13-12 05:14 PM
    I deleted a chat and didnt save is there anyway i can get it back
    09-21-12 04:39 AM
    I have a problem with a 8120, i installed WhatsApp 2.7.7151 (I think, the last version supported for OS 4.5) And when i'm trying to get the SMS activation, appears a message saying "fail-old-version", i think is not fair to people who has a OS 4.5 device that they can install WhatsApp but they cant use it because of they cant activate.
    09-21-12 01:33 PM
    I have WhatsApp version 2.8.4851 installed on a Curve 9300 3G running OS6 and any pictures I receive are blurry when opened. This has just started today, prior to that, pictures were all fine and I could open them and forward via email. Now, not only are pictures blurry bit I can't forward them as an email (clicking forward as email does nothing) and they don't save to my media card either. I only see a View button in the chat window next to each picture, but there is no save button and a search of my media card shows no pictures being saved there from WhatsApp.

I've done a clean removal of WhatsApp as suggested on the WhatsApp Blackberry FAQ (options - applications - delete) and downloaded directly from the WhatsApp website, again as suggested by WhatsApp BlackBerry FAQ but still have the same problem.

I did a clean removal and tried downloading it from the AppWorld and this downloaded version 2.8.1914 instead of the later .4851 on the WhatsApp website. Still the same problem.

Numerous battery pulls and restarts, still the same issue of blurry pictures. As a last resort, I wiped the device, installed nothing on there other than WhatsApp and still have blurry pictures.

Have also tried memory cleaning, putting media on the device, removing compression from the media card, chaning the memory card and everything else on the first post to no avail. I just can't get any pictures to show normal.

Don't have this problem with any other app, BBM is just fine. Can anyone help fix this so my pictures in WhatsApp are clear again? Have no idea why this has just occurred.
    09-24-12 05:20 PM
351 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD