The Kindle app can be set up to work perfectly on your Bold 9900/9930 - here's how to do it, and it doesn't require any technical skill at all.

First, download the latest version of the Kindle app from this address using your BB:

http://klamath.s3.amazonaws.com/KindleBB102b/kindle.jad

You have to get it from here directly because the Amazon website won't redirect you to it once it recognises your BB as a 9900/9930, but don't worry, because this is the direct address to which approved devices are automatically redirected, so it's the official version of the app.

When you have the app on your BB, open it. You will see the Kindle splash screen, and your BB will stall there.

Leaving the app open at the flash screen, connect your BB to your PC using the USB cable, and when your BB prompts you to choose between three connection options, click on "USB Drive". Wait a few seconds, then disconnect your BB, and the Kindle app will have started up. Since you are not yet logged in, you'll just see a highlightable bar saying "Archived Items (0)", but click on that and you'll be directed to the Kindle log-in page. Log in, and the list will refresh itself. You can download anything you want from your Kindle library and you're good to go.

Remember that if you upgrade your OS, you'll have to go through the process again, because Desktop Manager doesn't recognise the Kindle app as OS7-compatible so it won't restore it for you.

And by the way, it's a common misconception that the Kindle app only works for books bought from Amazon. You can copy across any mobi-format ebooks into the SD card folder \kindle\books and they'll not only appear in your list of books on your BB, they'll also whispersync (i.e. keep a record of how far you've read) with the same file loaded on another device like your Kindle, your iDevice or your PC.

If you have books in other formats such as epub or pdf, download Calibre (just Google it and you'll find it) and use it to convert them to mobi format and you can put them on your BB or your Kindle too. Just remember that books that are DRM-protected can't legally be converted and ported across devices.
    Last edited by ljcn; 11-23-11 at 08:28 AM.
    11-23-11 08:04 AM
    Awesome tip! Wonder if this would work with the sirius app??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-11 10:07 AM
    I wonder if this would work for linked in
    11-23-11 10:21 AM
    I wonder if this would work for linked in
    LinkedIn works fine if you just sideload the cod file from your old BB using BBSAK.
    11-23-11 10:22 AM
    Leaving the app open at the flash screen, connect your BB to your PC using the USB cable, and when your BB prompts you to choose between three connection options, click on "USB Drive". Wait a few seconds, then disconnect your BB, and the Kindle app will have started up. Since you are not yet logged in, you'll just see a highlightable bar saying "Archived Items (0)", but click on that and you'll be directed to the Kindle log-in page. Log in, and the list will refresh itself. You can download anything you want from your Kindle library and you're good to go.
    After doing this once, the app behaves normally? Or do you have to do the USB trick each time you want to download an archived item or buy something from the Kindle store?
    11-23-11 10:45 AM
    After doing this once, the app behaves normally? Or do you have to do the USB trick each time you want to download an archived item or buy something from the Kindle store?
    One time only. Then only if you have to reinstall the app.
    ubizmo likes this.
    11-23-11 10:53 AM
    LinkedIn works fine if you just sideload the cod file from your old BB using BBSAK.
    Does anyone have a link to a .cod for LinkedIn? I did not have the forethought to save one when I upgraded from my Tour to the 9930.
    11-23-11 11:46 AM
    The Kindle app can be set up to work perfectly on your Bold 9900/9930 - here's how to do it, and it doesn't require any technical skill at all.

First, download the latest version of the Kindle app from this address using your BB:

http://klamath.s3.amazonaws.com/KindleBB102b/kindle.jad

You have to get it from here directly because the Amazon website won't redirect you to it once it recognises your BB as a 9900/9930, but don't worry, because this is the direct address to which approved devices are automatically redirected, so it's the official version of the app.

When you have the app on your BB, open it. You will see the Kindle splash screen, and your BB will stall there.

Remember that if you upgrade your OS, you'll have to go through the process again, because Desktop Manager doesn't recognise the Kindle app as OS7-compatible so it won't restore it for you.

And by the way, it's a common misconception that the Kindle app only works for books bought from Amazon. You can copy across any mobi-format ebooks into the SD card folder \kindle\books and they'll not only appear in your list of books on your BB, they'll also whispersync (i.e. keep a record of how far you've read) with the same file loaded on another device like your Kindle, your iDevice or your PC.

If you have books in other formats such as epub or pdf, download Calibre (just Google it and you'll find it) and use it to convert them to mobi format and you can put them on your BB or your Kindle too. Just remember that books that are DRM-protected can't legally be converted and ported across devices.
    Thanks - You're a legend!

SevendustG likes this.
    11-23-11 02:20 PM
    going to try this right now
    11-23-11 04:50 PM
    my gosh it works a treat.

Nice one.

can load all my books in now.

Sweet
    11-23-11 05:00 PM
    Too much hassle to get a book reader app run on a tiny screen never designed for reading long text. Get a tablet is a more realistic approach.
    11-23-11 06:38 PM
    Too much hassle to get a book reader app run on a tiny screen never designed for reading long text. Get a tablet is a more realistic approach.
    Enlarge the font size and it's perfectly possible to read entire books on a BB. The width of my 9780 screen is slightly more than the average newspaper column. With the font set to about 7 lines per screenful, I've read entire books on my 9780 without eyestrain. My eyes just gobble up the text, screen at a time. I only wish I could highlight and annotate, bu Amazon doesn't seem interested in keeping the BB apps up to par with iOS and Droid. The WP Kindle app is also crippled.

11-23-11 06:58 PM
    AWESOME!!! You just made my day!!!
    11-23-11 08:23 PM
    Thanks so much for this!!! I have tried for the past 2 months to get this program to work. You are the best.
    11-23-11 09:34 PM
    Awesome, thanks for the tip!
    11-23-11 10:51 PM
    can anyone show how to do it with linkedin app.... please...
    11-24-11 12:18 AM
    It seems though to me that you have to redo this process every time you close Kindle and reopen it... because it stuck on the splash screen. Any suggestions?
    11-24-11 12:54 AM
    It seems though to me that you have to redo this process every time you close Kindle and reopen it... because it stuck on the splash screen. Any suggestions?
    This does not happen to me. The app works fine when I reopen it, even after a device reset. Have you enabled Media Card support in Options>Device>Storage? That's where your Kindle books are stored so if you haven't enabled MC support you might run into problems. Alternatively, you might want to check that your device isn't logging out of your Kindle account when you close the app.
    11-24-11 06:18 AM
    can anyone show how to do it with linkedin app.... please...
    The LinkedIn app works fine with a Bold 9900/9930, but because it isn't OS7-certified you can't download it from App World and LinkedIn won't let you download it OTA from their website on your 9900/9930 either.

What you have to do is get the latest version of the app (v1.5.0.8) installed on a BB that is compatible - your old device or a friend or relative's OS6 device. If you still have your old BB and haven't wiped it the app is probably still sitting there so you already have it.

Then use a programme on your PC called BBSAK (Google it and download it if you haven't yet got it - it's free to download and use) to copy the LinkedIn cod file from the device with the app loaded on it onto your PC, then from there sideload it onto your 9900/9930. BBSAK makes this easy to do.

When BBSAK has finished and you disconnect your 9900/9930, the LinkedIn app icon will be on your home screen and the app will start up as normal. Only the banner at the top of the app which doesn't run all the way across the screen shows that the app isn't designed for the 9900/9930's screen resolution. Everything else works perfectly, and the app synchronises very happily with your messages and contacts.
    11-24-11 06:42 AM
    Does anyone have a link to a .cod for LinkedIn? I did not have the forethought to save one when I upgraded from my Tour to the 9930.

I agree ... I don't have access to my old device anymore, anyone have the cods/jads for LinkedIn? That would make my apps list complete. I just don't get how a business device doesn't have LinkedIn support yet!

Thanks in advance ...

PS: I searched the forum but the link to the zip file doesn't work anymore
    11-24-11 06:53 AM
    anyone have the cods/jads for LinkedIn?
    PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the cod.
    11-24-11 08:33 AM
    Thanks for the tip. Working flawlessly.
    11-24-11 09:19 AM
    Great find/fix but -- The moment my phone went into sleep/lock mode, the Kindle for BB app would not load and I had to do the trick again. Did I miss something or is this our only way to go?

By way of additional information, I had restored the app from my old Bold - I have yet to download from the link, which may be a newer version and work better, but I thought I would check before I went through the download.

Thanks again.
    11-25-11 01:27 AM
    Great find/fix but -- The moment my phone went into sleep/lock mode, the Kindle for BB app would not load and I had to do the trick again. Did I miss something or is this our only way to go?
    This does not happen to me. I would check your setings; make sure that you stay looged on to your Kindle account indefinitely and check that your SD card is enabled. The app works fine for me even if I hard reset my BB, so it isn't a universal problem that you are describing.
    11-25-11 10:01 AM
    It's strange, isn't it, that even though OS 7 has been out for a while now, and the Kindle app clearly would require only minor tweaking to be fully functional, Amazon has done nothing to make it available. If you write to Amazon and ask them, they simply reply that OS 7 is not supported, and they have no information as to when it will be.

But this workaround shows that there's just some hiccup in the installation process, not a need for a major overhaul. Why wouldn't Amazon push this out to the BB community?
    11-26-11 05:06 PM
108 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD