Anyone know a good RSS reader app for blackberry that works on offline mode? I used to use Viigo, which I loved, and then Freerange, but now both have died I want a suitable replacement. I ideally want something that opens the story inside the app itself and stores it for a period. On Freerange I liked to open a few stories when I woke up that I could read on the London underground on the way to work. Most other readers I've looked at, including XPRSS and BeReader, don't seem to be able to do this.
    03-23-12 05:07 PM
    I find Blackberry news is the best. works fine and free in app world.

Have bereader and it may look better but never seems to cache images properly.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-24-12 03:54 PM
    Anyone know a good RSS reader app for blackberry that works on offline mode? I used to use Viigo, which I loved, and then Freerange, but now both have died I want a suitable replacement. I ideally want something that opens the story inside the app itself and stores it for a period. On Freerange I liked to open a few stories when I woke up that I could read on the London underground on the way to work. Most other readers I've looked at, including XPRSS and BeReader, don't seem to be able to do this.
    I am testing bereader now but according to one of their features, it appears that one can read feeds offline. Here is the feature's quote:

"Read the selected feed/folder even while offline, changes to labels and tags will be cached and automatically synced when network coverage is regained"

Does this not work in the product?
    03-26-12 12:11 PM
    Viigo still works for me.
    03-26-12 05:50 PM
    Robchow, thanks for the response. When I load up a news story in BeReader and then exit the article to look at another it doesn't save the already loaded story. This is what i define as 'use offline' as when I go onto the London underground I can just open the preloaded stories and read them without phone network, and is the function that Viigo and FreeRange had. BeReader seems to reload a story every time you click on it.

ANyone know off an RSS reader that offers the above function? Another thing I don't like about BeReader (although one that I could live with) is that it merges all your feeds into one big feed rather than separating them into different ones.

Jaji_vzw8330 Jaji_vzw8330 - I didn't realize this was the case. I can't remember the original reason I stopped using Viigo, I thought it had stopped, or it might be that it wasn't supported by my BB model (Curve 9300).
    03-27-12 03:08 AM
    Yes, I just checked and it looks like Viigo is only supported up to the Curve 8900 and isn't available for the 9300

Robchow, thanks for the response. When I load up a news story in BeReader and then exit the article to look at another it doesn't save the already loaded story. This is what i define as 'use offline' as when I go onto the London underground I can just open the preloaded stories and read them without phone network, and is the function that Viigo and FreeRange had. BeReader seems to reload a story every time you click on it.

ANyone know off an RSS reader that offers the above function? Another thing I don't like about BeReader (although one that I could live with) is that it merges all your feeds into one big feed rather than separating them into different ones.

Jaji_vzw8330 Jaji_vzw8330 - I didn't realize this was the case. I can't remember the original reason I stopped using Viigo, I thought it had stopped, or it might be that it wasn't supported by my BB model (Curve 9300).
    03-27-12 03:21 AM

You are correct that BeReader doesn't store loaded articles. There is a feature wish list at the Bellshare feedback site that you can vote on; here is the link. Look for "offline caching of full articles" and "Save downloaded feeds."

Since you are loading the story, a possible work around is to load the articles to your browser instead of the BeReader app.

You can see individual feeds as well as all feeds in BeReader. To select your feeds, type "s" or click on the top status bar (All Items) to change.
    Last edited by robchow; 03-27-12 at 01:02 PM.
    03-27-12 12:56 PM
    Thanks Robchow. I'm getting more used to BeReader and I can see the pros. I'll make sure to vote on that website as it seems this is the closest thing to a great RSS reader for the Blackberry, and hopefully in the future they'll start cache-ing offline articles...
    03-27-12 03:14 PM
    Thanks Robchow. I'm getting more used to BeReader and I can see the pros. I'll make sure to vote on that website as it seems this is the closest thing to a great RSS reader for the Blackberry, and hopefully in the future they'll start cache-ing offline articles...
    Have you tried Go Reader? The cost ($2.99) is way less than BeReader ($9.99). Too bad there is no trial copy of Go Reader for me to compare.
    03-27-12 03:30 PM
    I think bb news works offline. you just have to update it before you go offline.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-27-12 04:39 PM
    so are any of these alternatives you guys recommended are free? if not, what are some good free one out there. i use my freerange rss reader everyday underground on a subway and i miss reading the news on it. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 03-28-12 at 03:37 PM.
    03-28-12 09:20 AM
    any1 know where is the url to install bb news ota? thx in advance.
    03-28-12 09:21 AM
    First, I still can understand why RIM but Viigo, the best RSS reader, and let it die. I really miss it.

Second, I use Social Feeds, which works pretty well. It doesn't load the articles within the app but it calls the browser, which can store more than 10+ articles, each preserved in it's own tab. Then I just flip through the tabs of my 9930 when I'm commuting under the Hudson river.
    03-28-12 11:34 AM
    I use XPRSS. It's free and has handy icons below each article so you can read it in Google Mobilizer, Instapaper Mobilizer, open it in Opera Mini, open it in the native browser, share via email, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Digg and Delicious. And it's free.
    03-28-12 01:24 PM
    I've really come round to BeReader. Although I'd still prefer something that cached old articles like Freerange did, I've realized if you switch to InstaPaper Mobilizer and click Open Article in Browser it opens the article in your browser but in the memory-saving InstaPaper version (I assume it would do the same with the Google Mobilizer view). I decided to test how many of these InstaPaper articles I could open in one go (as the web browser on the Curve isn't great and often struggles to open even one tab if the page is too large) and I got up to ten open tabs - and I only stopped there because I got bored. This way of doing things allows me to leave the articles open to view on the underground rail network, and is reasonable replacement for Freerange. Cheers for the help people!
    03-30-12 02:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD