Hey guys,

I was facing this problem when i installed the latest BBM 7 where you connect to Wi-Fi and BBM still requests you to connect to Wi-Fi or says "Connection cannot be established".

I've made a quick tutorial on how to overcome this and uploaded it on YouTube.

Check it out over here:

**Important Note (Thanks to @FBA for reminding me to add it here)
    When putting the random numbers (last digits of your IP) on your BB device, make sure you're not putting a similar address to any of the devices already connected on the Wi-Fi network - If you're in public and simply cannot know this info, try to use high numbers like between (200-255), this will kind of limit the chance of IP conflict.

Hope that would be helpful for some users.

Cheers,
    K
    Last edited by kareem_ruhi; 12-18-12 at 12:53 AM.
    12-16-12 04:30 PM
    Sorry but that's very bad information. There can be any other number of clients on the network using any number of IP's and you are telling people to choose a "random" IP address, which can wreak havoc in the network, with IP address conflicts. That is NOT the fix and will do absolutely nothing to help resolve the issue. Blocked ports have ZERO to do with the IP address. I do not have all the solutions to this issue, but I do know this is very bad information you just posted and could cause major issues on a network. This is not a fix; it's a network disaster.

It's anything BUT helpful for anyone...it's like telling someone who's allergic to peanuts to eat a spoonful of peanut butter.
    go1ndr likes this.
    12-17-12 12:52 PM
    Sorry but that's very bad information. There can be any other number of clients on the network using any number of IP's and you are telling people to choose a "random" IP address, which can wreak havoc in the network, with IP address conflicts. That is NOT the fix and will do absolutely nothing to help resolve the issue. Blocked ports have ZERO to do with the IP address. I do not have all the solutions to this issue, but I do know this is very bad information you just posted and could cause major issues on a network. This is not a fix; it's a network disaster.

It's anything BUT helpful for anyone...it's like telling someone who's allergic to peanuts to eat a spoonful of peanut butter.
    OFF TOPIC but----The OS 8.2.0.446 caused my heart to skip a beat-lol! Is that only for 99xx or is a similar build available for 9810 and if so, through what carrier. 9810 is only up to .794. Thank you!
    12-17-12 04:54 PM
    You're absolutely correct but no need for the exaggeration and lecture.

I've already added this note in the YouTube description but forgot to add it over here in the thread so it's good you reminded me to edit the post.

Thanks anyways for the comment.

Cheers

12-18-12 12:48 AM
    OFF TOPIC but----The OS 8.2.0.446 caused my heart to skip a beat-lol! Is that only for 99xx or is a similar build available for 9810 and if so, through what carrier. 9810 is only up to .794. Thank you!
    It's a joke - just seeing who's paying attention is all!
    12-19-12 12:46 PM
    I have bold 9900 - 7.1 bundle 2061 (latest firmware) , I tried your steps but didn't work so if there is another solution kindly update me

thanks
    12-23-12 02:55 AM
    Well sorry back to you but it works for me.

my BBM had this connection problem ONLY at home, and is fine (can BBM Voice) everywhere else, i.e. office, friends' homes, even public places.
    FYI i've tried the port forwarding guide, i've tried DMZ, tinkered with DHCP, even uPnP (i'm sure some of them are irrelevant but that goes to show how desperate i got to)
    so its not anything but helpful, it actually is helpful !

Thanks alot K!

12-26-12 09:31 AM
    I have completed the upgrade through my blackbverry app world and i connected to my wifi when prompted. i now however have a message that reads 'welcome to blackberry messenger' whenever i open it. This page contains no links or buttons and wont allow to me to see, send or recieve messages or allow me to view my contact list? Do you have another solution for this problem?
    12-28-12 09:44 AM
    Hi kareem_ruhi. I followed your instruction exactly just you show at the video. The strange is when I change primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 then the wifi is disconnect and re-connect, the phone icon at BBM is disappeared. I put back setting to 'auto obtain IP and DNS', the icon is back but same problem with red asterisk. Any suggestion ?
    01-10-13 12:05 AM
    Hi kareem_ruhi. I followed your instruction exactly just you show at the video. The strange is when I change primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 then the wifi is disconnect and re-connect, the phone icon at BBM is disappeared. I put back setting to 'auto obtain IP and DNS', the icon is back but same problem with red asterisk. Any suggestion ?
    Wkwkwkwk It works man !!! Just like your instruction. The icon with red asterisk is gone means the settings is perfect. Now I can enjoy my free call from bbm , Thanks man
    01-10-13 12:59 AM
    I just want to point out that i set my dns server settings in my routers configuration rather than changing the ip settings on my bb's ip configuration. Instead i left the bb's set to automatic. This method also works tho i dont see why using a google dns would make a difference 8.8.4.4 dns also works. I changed these settings on my home router as bbm wasnt connecting for me. I have a bb torch 9800 running os6 which needed the fix and a bold 9900 with os 7 also needed the fix and finally a playbook with bridge enabled. All are running perfectly after changing the router settings
    01-10-13 04:17 PM