Isn't that unnecessary intrusion to my contacts? Didn't happen in OS 10. Avoid Google
    acovey likes this.
    10-28-16 03:17 PM
    lol return the phone then....contacts are a common thing that apps/OS need access to. How else do you think that the address book populates them?
    Pro-Dtek50 likes this.
    10-28-16 03:20 PM
    Why do apps need access to my phone contacts then if not to flood them with unwanted adverts?
    acovey likes this.
    10-28-16 03:45 PM
    Why do apps need access to my phone contacts then if not to flood them with unwanted adverts?
    See post#2.
    10-28-16 03:50 PM
    Contacts are personal to everyone's own phone and should be kept privately in simcard
    BlackBerry
    Ckk
    . How dare outside sources invade these lists. As I said before didn't happen in OS10, only since Google wants to invade everyone's privacy. Sold out by BlackBerry again
    10-28-16 03:56 PM
    Contacts are personal to everyone's own phone and should be kept privately in simcard
    BlackBerry
    Ckk
    . How dare outside sources invade these lists. As I said before didn't happen in OS10, only since Google wants to invade everyone's privacy. Sold out by BlackBerry again
    Every app that interacts with your contacts (sharing, writing too, reading from, etc etc) needs that permission. When you use the Voice Assistant to make a call, the OS needs access to your contacts.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-28-16 03:58 PM
    Why does it need such access,?surelymyconversations are my privacy? Please justify
    10-28-16 04:06 PM
    Why does it need such access,?surelymyconversations are my privacy? Please justify
    Are you not reading? The OS needs access to your contacts for many, many reasons. I even gave you an example - Voice Assistant.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-28-16 04:08 PM
    You're misunderstanding what it means by "access". Other apps need to access each other to provide you with the fluid working experience you seek. That's how you can receive an email from someone who isn't a contact, and add them as a contact without going to your Contacts app and typing it all in fresh. That's how you can see all your contacts in the phone app. That's how you can share a photo with a contact. Etc, etc.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-28-16 04:16 PM
    You are not reading. I repeat why do they want and NEED to access MY contacts?
    10-28-16 04:17 PM
    I don't others to enhance my experience or whatever. I want a private inerreact between me and whoever I WANT to interact with without promoting from an unknown source. If that's Blackberry android protocol the I out of Blackberry android. Intrusive bastards
    10-28-16 04:23 PM
    You are not reading. I repeat why do they want and NEED to access MY contacts?
    I will try again.

When you say "call John Smith" , how do you think your OS can do that? It has to have access to your contacts to find John Smith's phone number.

When you are in an email client and you wish to "add a contact", how do you think it can do that without having access to your contacts?
    10-28-16 04:23 PM
    I don't use Google "try John Smith" voice thing. I want a private email, text, or messenger message between me and recipient not the whole fecking. Google audience seeing it. I thought Blackberry OS10 was private. If I'm wrong then the whole Google and Blackberry Calum of privacy needs examining. I never had this debate or problem with OS10
    10-28-16 04:30 PM
    I don't use Google "try John Smith" voice thing. I want a private email, text, or messenger message between me and recipient not the whole fecking. Google audience seeing it. I thought Blackberry OS10 was private. If I'm wrong then the whole Google and Blackberry Calum of privacy needs examining. I never had this debate or problem with OS10
    If you don't allow other apps to access your contacts, then all you would be able to do is open your contacts app and look at them. You can't place a call, can't send a message, or do anything else at all.
    10-28-16 04:32 PM
    I don't others to enhance my experience or whatever. I want a private inerreact between me and whoever I WANT to interact with without promoting from an unknown source. If that's Blackberry android protocol the I out of Blackberry android. Intrusive bastards
    It's how every mobile phone works. It's not a Google conspiracy.

Without that access, your Contacts app is just a list. "The whole Google" isn't looking at your contacts, just their OS right there on your phone.
    10-28-16 04:35 PM
    Ok be specific. WHY do other apps- which and why - need to access my Contacts?
    10-28-16 04:36 PM
    We've already provided a number of examples.

Email clients, other messaging clients, phone app, all need to access your contact list for obvious reasons.
    10-28-16 04:38 PM
    I enter my Contacts to my personal list on my simcard. Why should I let others unknown have my contacts list?
    10-28-16 04:39 PM
    Many reasons. Going through DTEK's list of apps that accessed Contacts in the past week, I get Telegram, Allo and Sound Profile. The first two are bleeding obvious, and the last one is because of per-contact sound profiles.
    10-28-16 04:40 PM
    I enter my Contacts to my personal list on my simcard. Why should I let others unknown have my contacts list?
    How do you think your phone app can make a call to one of your contacts without access to the contact?
    10-28-16 04:41 PM
    I don't fecking want companies to flood me with info for "adding to my experience" I will decide what I add to my experience in my time , not others thank you
    10-28-16 04:42 PM
    You're letting you have your contacts list, but from other apps.

Do you want to be able to call the contacts on your contacts list? If so, your phone app must access your contacts app.
    Do you want to send an email to someone on your contacts list? If so, your email client (Hub, Gmail, Outlook, etc) must access your contacts app.
    10-28-16 04:43 PM
    Wasn't a requirement on BlackBerry OS10. I just typed a message. Stop trying to defend this inadequate substitute. You will I have deduced I don't like the system that Blackberry have
    Forced upon its OS10 Customer s to this who have faithfully gone from OS7 and 10 to this sellout android "experience". It doesn't work so stop trying to continue its a step forward when quite clearly it isn't for previous loyal customers
    10-28-16 05:19 PM
    Wasn't a requirement on BlackBerry OS10.
    It sure was. The entire OS had access to your contacts. It's no different at all.

As far as being "forced" to move to BlackBerry Android, there is no such thing. If you don't like Android, then move to iOS. Fill your boots.
    Elite1 and DaFoxGrey like this.
    10-28-16 05:24 PM
    I sign in to any Android device using my outlook email address, Google doesn't have access to my contacts except those on Google+, which is using my outlook.com address to.
    10-28-16 05:26 PM
66 123