Just asking, guys. After years using iPhones I recently decided to realize a long time dream: buy a top spec Blackberry. So, a month ago I received my black Passport, very rare and very pricey here in Brazil (Blackberry absolutely don't care about Brazil...) and fell in love with it. Very beautiful gadget, unbeatable physical keyboard, great battery life, very practical and responsive OS. And, more important than all: high level privacy guaranteed. I'm really happy with my new/old gadget. But...

Well, everybody knows the OS is dead. Without complaints, without excuses, it's just how it is. No more updates, no more apps, no new Android runtime. Just dead. Which means for me, finally loving a Blackberry device, the death of all its identity as well, that same identity which captivated me for so many years: great hardware (DTEK50 is just an Alcatel Idol 4), fluid OS (BB OS is dead), unbeatable privacy (it now runs Android, an OS which don't fit well with privacy in same sentence).

So, my question is: which identity is supposed to be Blackberry's now? I mean: based in what should people buy, these days, a DTEK50 over a Moto G4 (its direct competitor, I guess)? Hardware is just common for mid end these days; OS is the so unstable Android (I had a lot, really tons of problems with it over the last years, because of this I stuck with iPhone); privacy is almost an impossible thing in Android world as Google track and save for future use all we do with our gadgets - and guarantee it do this in all documents and statements company publish over years.

So, in these terms, considering my Passport, unfortunately, is not a long range shot now (I really use and need a lot of apps which will stop working as soon they stop support for Android 4.4), why shouldn't I buy an iPhone 7 Plus with your fluidity and privacy (at least Apple's promises in privacy camp, which is much more Google ever did) and choose an Android Blackberry instead? Yes, I like Blackberry now, but I love iPhone as well. So, what's the point now? What's Blackberry arguments to conquer consumers as me? What do you think, guys?

Cheers,
    09-07-16 07:33 AM
    The problem is that there just aren't enough of us.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    09-07-16 09:01 AM
    The problem is that there just aren't enough of us.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    So... BlackBerry just have nothing to offer for us anymore?

Cheers,
    09-07-16 10:03 AM
    A Moto G4 (or even an Idol 4) is not a competing product. A Samsung Knox device or a Blackphone 2 are.

BlackBerry's identity continues to be its security-oriented hardware and software, with emphasis on the software.
    Tetragrammaton likes this.
    09-07-16 10:07 AM
    I also believe, that with all the security issues every OS (besides BB10) encounters and will encounter, secure phones may be Blackberry's chance to stand out from their competitors. Even the secure iPhone had its issues last month (no iPhone dissing intended!).

If they can keep up the good work on Android and the DTEK being chosen fleetwise from companies and government branches emphazising on security, they may have great testimonials.

I kinda jumped ship from BB10 to the Priv. I am happy, despite the battery life and (in my case) buggy contact app. Somehow I still believe in Blackberry's security approach.
    09-07-16 02:49 PM
    Blackberry is best.thats all what I can say.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-16 03:01 PM
    I also believe, that with all the security issues every OS (besides BB10) encounters and will encounter, secure phones may be Blackberry's chance to stand out from their competitors. Even the secure iPhone had its issues last month (no iPhone dissing intended!).

If they can keep up the good work on Android and the DTEK being chosen fleetwise from companies and government branches emphazising on security, they may have great testimonials.

I kinda jumped ship from BB10 to the Priv. I am happy, despite the battery life and (in my case) buggy contact app. Somehow I still believe in Blackberry's security approach.
    I got your point, but my concern is not about hackers and data being stolen from my device: my main concern is about my everyday data being sold and used without my permission for companies I don't know to do things I don't know... Hackers will attack every OS; but when a company says it makes money selling my data it makes me worried. Is Blackberry capable to block this communication type with Google? Even using Android OS, is Blackberry able to guarantee my data won't be used or sold without my permission?

If so I surely will remain in Blackberry's world, even using an OS I don't like (Android). If not, so Blackberry is equal all others OEM and lost all its identity, and unfortunately I will have to come back to iPhone. That's the reason of my questioning. Protect me against hackers every manufactures said it will, what I want is a company which protect me against Google, FB and every other company which aim is to make money with my life's data... If Blackberry can do that, so it conquered me. Using BB10 it could. And now, with Android? How it works?

Cheers,
    09-07-16 03:10 PM
    Good point. I think it has to do a bit with trust. I am not sure, if BB can block some nasty stuff from Google via Androidphones.
    09-07-16 03:38 PM
    I got your point, but my concern is not about hackers and data being stolen from my device: my main concern is about my everyday data being sold and used without my permission for companies I don't know to do things I don't know... Hackers will attack every OS; but when a company says it makes money selling my data it makes me worried. Is Blackberry capable to block this communication type with Google? Even using Android OS, is Blackberry able to guarantee my data won't be used or sold without my permission?

If so I surely will remain in Blackberry's world, even using an OS I don't like (Android). If not, so Blackberry is equal all others OEM and lost all its identity, and unfortunately I will have to come back to iPhone. That's the reason of my questioning. Protect me against hackers every manufactures said it will, what I want is a company which protect me against Google, FB and every other company which aim is to make money with my life's data... If Blackberry can do that, so it conquered me. Using BB10 it could. And now, with Android? How it works?

Cheers,
    Not sure any phone can do what you want. Your data isn't stolen since you agree to the data mining as part of the TOS when you fire up a device or use a particular service (including BlackBerry).

The best you can do is review the device manufacturer's TOSs and see if you're cool with how they use your data.

Ditto for each app and service you use.

And any website where you have a login or which sets a cookie.

And especially your mobile service provider - their terms are usually much more egregious (in my opinion) than any of the aforementioned.

If you don't want ANY data being used then put the phone down and go back to writing letters.
    09-07-16 03:47 PM
    Not sure any phone can do what you want. Your data isn't stolen since you agree to the data mining as part of the TOS when you fire up a device or use a particular service (including BlackBerry).

The best you can do is review the device manufacturer's TOSs and see if you're cool with how they use your data.

Ditto for each app and service you use.

And any website where you have a login or which sets a cookie.

And especially your mobile service provider - their terms are usually much more egregious (in my opinion) than any of the aforementioned.

If you don't want ANY data being used then put the phone down and go back to writing letters.
    I have to agree with you, I'm afraid. And as a Historian I have to ask (rhetorically, this time): when we used to write letters it used to be a crime read others letters without permission. So many post workers were put in prison because of this... Now everybody not only wants to read my letters but wants to make money with it, too. And there's nothing I can do to avoid it. Exactly when this became a norm? I would guess it was in exact moment when companies like Blackberry were obligated to abandon all your history and DNA in order to survive, accepting such order of things.

Well... iPhone 7 Plus is not so bad, after all... And Apple still swear it won't collect my data or sell it. I tend to not believe, actually, but if I had to choose between a company which swear it respects my privacy, and another which claims for everybody hear it makes money with it, so I guess there's no choose possible, after all...

Tks guys!

Cheers,
    09-07-16 04:32 PM
    I have to agree with you, I'm afraid. And as a Historian I have to ask (rhetorically, this time): when we used to write letters it used to be a crime read others letters without permission. So many post workers were put in prison because of this... Now everybody not only wants to read my letters but wants to make money with it, too. And there's nothing I can do to avoid it. Exactly when this became a norm? I would guess it was in exact moment when companies like Blackberry were obligated to abandon all your history and DNA in order to survive, accepting such order of things.

Well... iPhone 7 Plus is not so bad, after all... And Apple still swear it won't collect my data or sell it. I tend to not believe, actually, but if I had to choose between a company which swear it respects my privacy, and another which claims for everybody hear it makes money with it, so I guess there's no choose possible, after all...

Tks guys!

Cheers,
    The data mining started way, way, way before the smartphone era.
    09-07-16 05:13 PM
    Exactly when this became a norm?
    Don't think for a second that this isn't consumer driven. We get great value from this "data mining". In addition to targeted ads, we get news stories, mapping information, photo albums, reminders, and a countless other things that are tailored to our needs. Just look at Google Now - boarding passes, bill payment reminders, sports updates, etc etc.

We get value from the relationship. It's win-win. If we thought otherwise we would be using a feature phone, or voting in politicians to rid ourselves of Google and Apple.
    09-07-16 05:35 PM
    If we thought otherwise we would be using a feature phone, or voting in politicians to rid ourselves of Google and Apple.
    Actually I'm Brazilian. In this country our votes doesn't count anymore as much as it counted in recent past... We elect a president with millions of votes and just 61 senators were able to put her down. Anyway... Got your point!

Cheers,
    Last edited by vimagreg; 09-09-16 at 11:40 AM.
    09-07-16 07:24 PM
    Don't think you are safe with Apple, they are Collecting every bit as much data as Google.
    Same goes for Microsoft.
    Admittedly neither knows how to use or sell the data like Google - - - Yet
    09-09-16 11:31 AM