Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry Android OS

Use fingerprint for everything but unlocking

Asked: Mar 01 2017 | 7:03 pm EST 3849 Views 6 Answers View Best Answer

This is for Android, and this is what I'm planning to do with my KEYone when it comes out. Is there a way to register fingerprints, but require a password for unlocking the phone?
I'd use a password to unlock it, and then fingerprint can be used for Google Play, App Lockers, etc.

EDIT: Sorry for not mentioning this, but I want it so that fingerprint unlock is disabled. Fingerprints themselves are still registered and able to be used by apps, but unable to be used to unlock the phone.

Best Answer

Mar 01 2017 | 7:15 pm EST Bla1ze

You're required to set up a password in order to use the FP sensor anyway. Like on the DTEK60, if you don't want to use the FP sensor to unlock it, you don't have to, just enter the password.

More Answers

Mar 02 2017 | 6:46 pm EST Pablodudeperson

I figured out a solution for anyone that might be interested.
You need something like Tasker, and set up so that when the event "Display Off" occurs (the screen being turned off), the task "System Lock" should happen thereafter. System Lock is similar to when you reboot the phone, and you need your pin/password before fingerprint unlock will work. This task will have that state be activated every time the phone's screen turns off, similar to the screen locking normally. The fingerprint sensor will still wake the phone when it detects something similar to a finger, but it won't unlock the phone.

Apr 03 2017 | 4:15 pm EDT anon(10120165)

System Lock is similar to when you reboot the phone, and you need your pin/password before fingerprint unlock will work.
That's interesting. Do you know any side-effects like restricted background tasks/push/connectivity? Does it wake up as fast as 'normal' standby?

This task will have that state be activated every time the phone's screen turns off, similar to the screen locking normally.
Does Android allow this to happen without Security Plugin/root?

Appreciate your idea.

Apr 03 2017 | 4:25 pm EDT supertom

why not use an "App Lock" type app with finger print capability? You can pick and choose which apps you want to lock and which to leave open.

Then you can use your regular password to unlock the phone.

I hope BlackBerry would release an App Lock app sometime in the future

Apr 13 2017 | 5:13 pm EDT Pablodudeperson

That's interesting. Do you know any side-effects like restricted background tasks/push/connectivity? Does it wake up as fast as 'normal' standby?

Does Android allow this to happen without Security Plugin/root?

Appreciate your idea.
Sorry for not responding earlier, I didn't realize I got a response! Anyways, it does not require root, but it requires something, like Tasker, where you can set the event to lock the device as a device admin when the screen is turned off. All that's required is an app, and allowing the app device administrator. The phone wakes up just as fast, you are just required to use a pin instead of your fingerprint.

why not use an "App Lock" type app with finger print capability? You can pick and choose which apps you want to lock and which to leave open.

Then you can use your regular password to unlock the phone.

I hope BlackBerry would release an App Lock app sometime in the future
In order for Android to detect your fingerprint, it typically needs to have fingerprint unlock enabled, unless (as far as I know) you use the trick I described above. I do also think that BlackBerry should implement an "App Lock" app, one ingrained with the OS for speed and security purposes, as all the ones I've tried lag and show some of an app before "locking" it, and tend to be very easy to bypass compared to Android's built-in screen lock.

Apr 14 2017 | 10:36 pm EDT anon(10120165)

Sorry for not responding earlier, I didn't realize I got a response! Anyways, it does not require root, but it requires something, like Tasker, where you can set the event to lock the device as a device admin when the screen is turned off. All that's required is an app, and allowing the app device administrator. The phone wakes up just as fast, you are just required to use a pin instead of your fingerprint.
That's awesome news. Will definitely try this when I can hold the KEYone in hands.