Hey, all!

I was wanting to turn on Password Keeper's autofill feature but it warns me that by doing so I'm disabling the password prompt upon booting the phone. Can anyone tell me what kind of security risk this poses? I'm not sure what the difference even is between entering my password upon boot and again when I get to my lock screen.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    03-19-17 09:11 AM
    Hey, all!

I was wanting to turn on Password Keeper's autofill feature but it warns me that by doing so I'm disabling the password prompt upon booting the phone. Can anyone tell me what kind of security risk this poses? I'm not sure what the difference even is between entering my password upon boot and again when I get to my lock screen.

If you create a new device password after setting up Password Keeper, you'll be able to re-enable the password upon boot option.

I've never understood why BlackBerry thought it was okay to release an app that disables an important security feature. A bit strange for a "security company".
    03-19-17 09:12 PM
    If you create a new device password after setting up Password Keeper, you'll be able to re-enable the password upon boot option.

I've never understood why BlackBerry thought it was okay to release an app that disables an important security feature. A bit strange for a "security company".
    And that won't disable Password Keeper from allowing me to use autofill?
    03-19-17 09:13 PM
    And that won't disable Password Keeper from allowing me to use autofill?
    Works for me.
    03-19-17 09:14 PM
    Hey, all!

What device and OS version are you running?
    03-20-17 06:53 AM
    Priv 6.0.1
    03-20-17 08:05 AM
    On another note; for anyone using Password Keeper there is still the vulnerability I have had on two Priv's now where when minimizing the app I can see all the contents of whatever I just had open in the minimized window, yet when I maximize it it's locked out and I have to renter my password. Happens every time. Minimized the content is viewable, maximized it locks down like it should. A strange behavior for an app that is supposed to be very secure from the biggest name in security.
    03-20-17 07:17 PM
    On another note; for anyone using Password Keeper there is still the vulnerability I have had on two Priv's now where when minimizing the app I can see all the contents of whatever I just had open in the minimized window, yet when I maximize it it's locked out and I have to renter my password. Happens every time. Minimized the content is viewable, maximized it locks down like it should. A strange behavior for an app that is supposed to be very secure from the biggest name in security.
    Interesting, I don't see this phenomenon is, I always get a blank page view when minimizing password keeper
    03-21-17 02:08 AM
    I don't have that issue on my dtek60 when minimized I get blank screen also.
    03-21-17 02:53 AM
    Weird. Mine goes blank when minimized.

What version of PWK are you using? Is it up to date? What phone are you using?
    03-21-17 05:13 PM
    I have been able to duplicate this issue. If you select a password keeper entry and the let the screen timeout, password keeper will revert back to its lock screen. But when you minimize to the recent Apps screen, it will show the contents of the last selected entry.
    Attached Thumbnails Password Keeper Disabling Password At Startup-8589.jpg  
    gizmo21 likes this.
    03-21-17 06:55 PM
    I have been able to duplicate this issue. If you select a password keeper entry and the let the screen timeout, password keeper will revert back to its lock screen. But when you minimize to the recent Apps screen, it will show the contents of the last selected entry.
    It appears that once the screen timeout occurs, the issue will continue even if you switch back to password keeper, navigate to another listing, and try the recent app screen. Clearing from the recent app screen before reopening password keeper fixes the problem (until the next screen timeout).
    03-21-17 09:56 PM
    Yea it happens to me all the time. Such an a$$ pain. I think the only times it doesn't happen is when it's the only app I am using. I have the latest version. I'm using an unlocked PRIV direct from BlackBerry so the latest OS software too. I'm almost at the point of using a different password manager.
    03-29-17 01:45 PM
    Not fixed after latest Password Keeper update today.
    03-31-17 12:23 AM
    I don't get how you guys are getting this to happen. Mine goes to a blank white screen as I minimize it. I can't, for the life of me, get it to keep my info displayed.
    03-31-17 12:33 PM
    I don't get how you guys are getting this to happen. Mine goes to a blank white screen as I minimize it. I can't, for the life of me, get it to keep my info displayed.
    Have you tried opening Password Keeper to a page with private information, and then letting the device screen timeout?
    03-31-17 12:46 PM
    Have you tried opening Password Keeper to a page with private information, and then letting the device screen timeout?
    Gotcha. OK now I have it happening too.

Maybe someone should mention this to BlackBerry. They might be unaware of the issue. It won't get fixed if they don't know about it.
    03-31-17 12:58 PM
    Well, I tried contacting them via Twitter as to whom I should contact and how but still no response. I guess along with their 47 million dollar loss came more job cuts including their social media managers.
    03-31-17 03:04 PM
    Well, I tried contacting them via Twitter as to whom I should contact and how but still no response. I guess along with their 47 million dollar loss came more job cuts including their social media managers.
    They should be aware. mrbbsecurity is a BlackBerry employee and he has responded in this thread a couple weeks ago.
    03-31-17 03:54 PM
    Hello mrbbsecurity. We are still seeing this issue after the latest updates.
    03-31-17 03:56 PM
    A Priv direct from BlackBerry, on the March security update still. I've had this issue since I bought the phone a year ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Password Keeper Disabling Password At Startup-43981.jpg  
    04-11-17 01:15 PM
    I believe you can go back into the global security settings and re-enable boot encryption/password - have you tried that?
    04-11-17 01:24 PM
    I believe you can go back into the global security settings and re-enable boot encryption/password - have you tried that?
    For me that turns off auto fill.
    04-12-17 08:47 AM
    If you turn on autofill from Password Keeper it takes you into the global settings to turn on autofill in the accessibility services. When you return to password keeper, if the boot encryption has been turned off, Password Keeper will warn you and ask you to go back and turn it on. If you had just gone directly into the global settings to turn on autofill you won’t see this extra warning.

Regardless here is how you re-enable boot encryption:

Settings->Security->Screen Lock->Enter your device password to continue->Choose your screen lock
    You should then get a “Secure start-up” screen which allows you to turn it back on (Require password to start device).
    You will then be prompted “Require password? When you enter your password to start this device, accessibility services like Password Keeper autofill won’t yet be available”.
    Choose “OK” – autofill won’t work for the boot password prompt – that’s ok it will work for everything else.
    Choose “Continue” then enter and confirm your new password (can be same as the old one).
    You are good to go – autofill & boot password are now both enabled.
    04-12-17 10:42 AM
    If you turn on autofill from Password Keeper it takes you into the global settings to turn on autofill in the accessibility services. When you return to password keeper, if the boot encryption has been turned off, Password Keeper will warn you and ask you to go back and turn it on. If you had just gone directly into the global settings to turn on autofill you won’t see this extra warning.

Regardless here is how you re-enable boot encryption:

Settings->Security->Screen Lock->Enter your device password to continue->Choose your screen lock
    You should then get a “Secure start-up” screen which allows you to turn it back on (Require password to start device).
    You will then be prompted “Require password? When you enter your password to start this device, accessibility services like Password Keeper autofill won’t yet be available”.
    Choose “OK” – autofill won’t work for the boot password prompt – that’s ok it will work for everything else.
    Choose “Continue” then enter and confirm your new password (can be same as the old one).
    You are good to go – autofill & boot password are now both enabled.
    I think this thread is now mixing with the DTEK/Picture Password Bug thread.

Enabling the secure startup password seems to disable picture password. But then when enabling and setting up picture password afterwards, secure startup is disabled, even though it is really not because when restarting the device, the secure startup password is still required. DTEK also reports the secure startup password as disabled. Please see this thread below.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12822160
    04-12-17 02:34 PM
29 12