...... So if I like coffee... my phone picks up that I like coffee... and sends me things related to what I enjoy.... This is bad?

Learn something everyday.
    11-23-16 09:50 PM
    My phone is my phone, it has no right to know what I like. What I like is in my mind only. Even if it's just something like coffee. I guess newer generations don't care anymore.

Posted via CB10
    falbo likes this.
    11-24-16 01:22 AM
    My phone is my phone, it has no right to know what I like. What I like is in my mind only. Even if it's just something like coffee. I guess newer generations don't care anymore.

Posted via CB10
    It's not a matter of not caring. It's an understanding that there is a quid pro quo. If one is a coffee fan, it's a benefit to be told there is a great coffee shop nearby.

People, like myself, have calculated that targeted ads are a small price to pay for an enormous wealth of apps, and services.
    11-24-16 07:13 AM
    ... If one is a coffee fan, it's a benefit to be told there is a great coffee shop nearby.
    Yes, but Google doesn't pick the advertiser by the quality of their products, they just sell publicity. So if I pay, Google will tell you that I have great coffee too.
    In my opinion, the people who justifies the Google advertising system, seems to always forget that they don't show you kindly tips for cool places, they just sell you publicity payd by some corporation.
    11-24-16 07:45 AM
    How come some people here are worried about Google tracking them and not their carrier.

only in crackberry
    It's because you can't use a phone without carrier tracking. I mean, you can but it's almost useless. So, carrier tracking is a given whereas app and OS tracking can and should be reduced.
    11-24-16 07:46 AM
    Yes, but Google doesn't pick the advertiser by the quality of their products, they just sell publicity. So if I pay, Google will tell you that I have great coffee too.
    In my opinion, the people who justifies the Google advertising system, seems to always forget that they don't show you kindly tips for cool places, they just sell you publicity payd by some corporation.
    Well, I just got a notification from Google Now that my normal route to work has a twenty minute delay due to traffic, and is offering to reroute me. I find that valuable.

Btw, most spots recommended to me never pay Google a dime - this I know first hand.
    11-24-16 08:02 AM
    Well, I just got a notification from Google Now that my normal route to work has a twenty minute delay due to traffic, and is offering to reroute me. I find that valuable.

Btw, most spots recommended to me never pay Google a dime - this I know first hand.
    I agree with you on the traffic thing, although I think that just can be done with Google Maps, no need to track every step you take in your life nor link your movements with any publicity.
    11-24-16 08:39 AM
    It's because you can't use a phone without carrier tracking. I mean, you can but it's almost useless. So, carrier tracking is a given whereas app and OS tracking can and should be reduced.
    really? so why do carriers share my data to their "partners" if all they are doing is making sure that I am in my area code location. For some reason I don't see a lot of people in crackberry complaining about that.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 11-25-16 at 06:34 PM.
    11-25-16 04:31 PM
    really? so why do carriers share my data to their "partners" if all they are doing is making sure that I am in my area code location. For some reason I don't see a lot of people in crackberry complaining about that.
    Because complaining about that is moot and a waste of energy. You can't do anything about it because you should contact people in your country and boycott or whatever the local providers. Complaining about OS tracking can achieve something because you have a global audience that can vote with their wallets. I'm pretty sure Google added permission controls in the OS due to complaints, not because they wanted to.
    11-28-16 03:36 AM
    Because complaining about that is moot and a waste of energy. You can't do anything about it because you should contact people in your country and boycott or whatever the local providers. Complaining about OS tracking can achieve something because you have a global audience that can vote with their wallets. I'm pretty sure Google added permission controls in the OS due to complaints, not because they wanted to.
    EU is putting up stricter privacy law that covers carriers as well (unless I am mistaken). BB and Microsoft have more vague privacy policies but of course this is crackberry after all.
    11-30-16 06:37 PM
    I turned off all the tracking in Android. Turn on when you need it! Watch Snowden movie and you will understand
    12-03-16 10:56 AM
    These features are not good trust me for your mind and human nature, if they see your patterns and that you enjoy coffee at starbucks they will always show you coffee adverts relating to it.
    This way your brain is fed the same things over and over limiting you not only in coffee but life, If you stop these location based or friendly adverts in life your brain can take in, explore and maybe experience better things.

It is not good to be one minded it's sometimes good to see what else is out there and not be blind.

Typical example always being a blackberry user without trying other phones. By the way not saying Blackberry is bad compared to others but you should know why you prefer it not just use it without knowing the facts about other phones like Samsung, LG or iphone.
    Wow, perhaps they are trying to subtly brainwash us all....

Where's my tin foil hat??
    Last edited by ams083; 12-03-16 at 07:03 PM.
    12-03-16 05:46 PM
    Privacy thing this is not how many are describing it here. hear about. I'm using the GOOGLE PIXEL. If any device is going to use GOOGLE to be intrusive it would be mine. It's simple, the permissions are one switch to turn off Google Locations and it's done, period. If you choose to leave it on, it is a connection only between Google and your Device. You're letting Google collect your information for the purposes of the providing services to you on your device. The info collected does not go beyond that except in aggregate.

Some of those services may be annoying but others are great. This privacy talk is like you all think you are gonna get a call from Mr Google or a store you walk past asking you to buy stuff. Or they will text all your contacts with ads. Its not a big deal. Just my opinion.

I have a McDonald's across the street that I drive past everyday. I'm not shocked that everyday when I get a Gmail email I see an ad for McDonalds up top.

Again just my opinion. I think there are many types of users. Some want all their info untouched or used at all. That's fine. Others allow some permissions but not others with no rhyme or reason based how important the app is to them. Others understand their OS and how to utilize security to allow permissions and then determine if it's intrusive.

Nougat 7.1 is great. And if using a BlackBerry with DTEK you should be fine as well. But as a user you ways have the responsibility.
    ams083 likes this.
    12-03-16 06:36 PM
    To Op:

So help me understand. Before "cell phone tracking" and "advertising" how did a person ever make a single decision on their on? I mean based on your statement it's as if we'd never be able to decide anything without be told what to do.

So, I'll play along for a bit. I'll for a second say agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so I'll go with you on the privacy piece to a small extent. Some people may feel their privacy is being violated or they are being tracked. However, to take the psychological leap that their decision making process is somehow being altered debunks the idea of rational choice. The ads people are seeing are based on the decisions they are making with their own free will.

You are giving way too little credit to the human brain and way to much credit to some advertising on a mobile device.

I go get coffee each morning. I buy a new phone. It sees I stop and buy coffee each morning. I start getting advertisements about coffee. I'm no more likely to get coffee. I was already getting coffee. Those ads won't stop me if all of a sudden I decide I want chocolate milk instead. I have free will, rational choice, and the ability to make my own decisions. And my phone figure out I'm not getting coffee anymore and change it's ads to more things inline with my new behaviors.

I agree it is not good to be "one minded" and it's sometime good to see what else is out there and not be blind. Where I disagree is where you place the blame. If a person is "one minded" and "blind" all they need to do is open their eyes...GOOGLE TRACKING isn't closing their eyes or keeping them from opening them up, they have consciously made the decision independent of GOOGLE...

But again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions...but facts, those are the real deal. Opinions are good, facts are great.
    12-04-16 01:33 AM
    I agree with you that everybody has the free will and they should use it, but we all know that doesn't always happen including myself. We are all tempted by adverts and pushed to a direction without realising, it's a sub conscious thing we won't even realise.

Most people won't accept the fact they are swayed but we all are that's a fact it's human nature and some companies take advantage and they know exactly how to hit the right spots of the brain for example Apple.

If you're telling me that advertisement doesn't play a role in society then why is it that Apple in the west is the most popular device and in the east it's android? Is that not due to advertisement and people following the crowd hence the word 'isheep'?

Anyway you don't mind being shown a few coffee adverts but to a lot of users we don't want to be shown ads that invade our privacy and the fact they know you like coffee is a scary thing, they definitely do influence decision. If I want to be shown something I can relate to I can sign up to it like a BBM channel or follow a certain person on twitter I don't want to be dictated in what I see. You may not believe it or realise but advertisement has subliminal messages in them that only the brain processes, you probably think that's crazy.

The reason I use the bb android os over touch wiz is because the amount of crap, bloatware and gimmicks you find on a Samsung it's a joke. I can admit the camera is better and certain things, but to be free of all the advertisement, not pushed in a certain direction and it makes you invest into the system I choose not to use it even though the majority would.

Also the privacy BlackBerry promote helps and me personally being against the governments spying on us and all that NSA stuff makes you more wary.

Maybe it's just a choice/opinion you may not be bothered but for some they are, I guess it's a matter of preference and one of the reasons for using a Blackberry is privacy.
    12-05-16 12:27 AM
    Hmmm... No wonder almost everyone avoided BB10 like the plague.
    Not to mention; propaganda on every forum, media, paid journalist, lot of paid people on every forum. Killing BlackBerry was bread and butter for many people. What they are gonna do now ?
    12-05-16 11:28 AM
    Not to mention; propaganda on every forum, media, paid journalist, lot of paid people on every forum. Killing BlackBerry was bread and butter for many people. What they are gonna do now ?
    Don't kid yourself. There was no conspiracy. People would have to actually care before that could happen.
    12-05-16 01:33 PM
    Let me guess, Russian hackers, too?
    Wezard likes this.
    12-05-16 01:44 PM
    That's why I (dis)like android and google services.

Did you know that if deactivate all of the google crap on an android phone the battery lasts more 30% minimum?

Also facebook is a battery and data mining hogger.

Posted via CB10
    Careful...

Android apologist don't like to hear anything about privacy and malware.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    12-05-16 01:45 PM
    Careful...

Android apologist don't like to hear anything about privacy and malware.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    What malware?

Why Android malware scares are almost never as bad as they seem http://www.androidcentral.com/why-an...-bad-they-seem
    12-05-16 01:49 PM
    What they are gonna do now ?
    You mean now that even you know that BB10 is headed toward the light?
    12-05-16 06:35 PM
    The tracking that matters, and that you cannot do anything about, is carrier tracking. If you are ever involved in any sort of offence, especially a vehicle accident, your handset records will be given to the police without a warrant. If the records show that you were using your phone at the moment of the accident, you will be deemed responsible even if you were hit by someone who ran a red light.

Too many people aren't aware of this.
    12-05-16 06:58 PM
    Before cell phones there was privacy to places one was going.

Not anymore.
    12-08-16 02:13 PM
    Before cell phones there was privacy to places one was going.

Not anymore.
    It's not like you're being spied on by a ex-wife or a stalker. It's a bot behind a huge firewall that couldn't care less about you that shares non-identifying information to others who couldn't care less about you either.
    12-08-16 02:28 PM
    It's not like you're being spied on by a ex-wife or a stalker. It's a bot behind a huge firewall that couldn't care less about you that shares non-identifying information to others who couldn't care less about you either.
    I'm sure there is an app for one's ex-wife for that...Lol
    12-08-16 02:36 PM
51 123