I'm sure I disabled background data for Google Play at some point when I was trying to maximize battery and minimize Google's footprint in my life. I still get app updates when I open the app only. But when I let the screen go dark I get a message that Google Play needs background data. When I press okay it closes.

Is this a bad thing? Should I care? I don't care now but maybe someone could convince me otherwise.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-31-16 10:43 AM
    i don't think you can truly disable google in the background. It just reopens immediately after you close it.
    08-31-16 11:42 AM
    You talking about Google play services or the store?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-31-16 02:22 PM
    Play Services and apps like the Playstore don't actually use much battery unless its a bad install and they obey features like Doze unlike some third party apps. I don't think you can get rid of the notices tho.
    Last edited by Ment; 08-31-16 at 03:18 PM.
    08-31-16 03:08 PM
    Play Services and apps like the Playstore don't actually use much battery unless its a bad install and they obey features like Doze unlike some third party apps. I don't think you can get rid of the notices tho.
    I don't think Google play services obey doze.

But you are right when you said it doesn't take up much battery unless something is botched

Attached Thumbnails Google Play background data disabled-100306.jpg  
    09-01-16 01:37 AM
    Even I was continuously observing why Blackberry is not optimizing GP services app? This is only on app without optimization.
    09-01-16 02:15 AM
    I don't think Google play services obey doze.

But you are right when you said it doesn't take up much battery unless something is botched

Learned a new thing today. Yes GPS doesn't obey Doze because of services like high priority cloud messaging and things like Android Device Manager which can locate your lost/stolen devices rely on GPS APIs to work so it must be active at all times.
    09-01-16 04:55 PM
    I was unable to find WHERE I'd changed the background data setting. Perhaps in dtek. Also perhaps in Greenify (with which I freely ignore the warnings and hibernate system apps, also using "aggressive doze" ).

Other than the message I described in post no. 1 the only effect I have seen is incredible battery life.

For GPS I just use "device only". I read somewhere that in device only mode it will activate only when and for how long it is needed.

09-02-16 09:01 AM
    Notable, Greenify removed my final objection this morning with an update that allows auto hibernate for non root phones WITH keyguard security enabled.

I have had the donate version of this app for a long time. Definitely worth the 99 cents or whatever it is.

09-02-16 09:05 AM