With the DTEK app, why do Google Chrome, Google Drive, Google Photos and such not show up as apps that can be permission controlled?

What am I missing? What good is the app if it can't control the most pernicious snoopers out there?
    Q10Bold and gizmo21 like this.
    10-08-16 07:28 PM
    They are core/system apps that are ignored.
    10-08-16 07:46 PM
    So like I said... the most pernicious data miners can't be controlled.

Most secure? Right johnny... NOT.

DTEK is pretty much worthless then.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Q10Bold and gizmo21 like this.
    10-08-16 07:52 PM
    So return it....you bought an ANDROID device and those are core ANDROID apps. curious but does DTEK monitor BBM or the HUB?
    ams083 likes this.
    10-08-16 08:14 PM
    Welcome to android, OP. If you want none of them.. Get a different platform, like Windows or ...

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 Phone
    howarmat and ams083 like this.
    10-08-16 08:38 PM
    So return it....you bought an ANDROID device and those are core ANDROID apps. curious but does DTEK monitor BBM or the HUB?
    No it doesn't. Just like Google Chrome, Google Drive, Google Photos, they are system apps.
    10-11-16 11:46 AM
    Can those apps be deleted?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 12:44 AM
    Can those apps be deleted?

Posted via CB10
    Most system apps can't be deleted, but you can disable them.
    10-21-16 11:03 PM
    I don't see why being preinstalled should make an app exempt from privacy monitoring on a device that is marketed with privacy as a key features. This doesn't sound like an actual limitation of ANDROID unless it is part of the agreement with Google.
    10-21-16 11:09 PM
    I don't see why being preinstalled should make an app exempt from privacy monitoring on a device that is marketed with privacy as a key features. This doesn't sound like an actual limitation of ANDROID unless it is part of the agreement with Google.
    pretty sure this highlighted part plays a big role
    10-21-16 11:35 PM
    Exactly.

And whether it is a limitation of not, it is extremely disingenuous of BlackBerry to blather on about DTEK when it can't do anything about the most pernicious apps on their phones (when it comes to privacy) ... knowing (but not admitting) that DTEK can do nothing about them.
    10-23-16 03:10 PM
    Exactly.

And whether it is a limitation of not, it is extremely disingenuous of BlackBerry to blather on about DTEK when it can't do anything about the most pernicious apps on their phones (when it comes to privacy) ... knowing (but not admitting) that DTEK can do nothing about them.
    You're just looking for something to blast BlackBerry for (again).

When moving to Android, one accepts Google, as one accepts Apple when moving to an iPhone.

Google is clear what they monitor and how they use it in its terms of service. No identifying info is provided to any 3rd party, and the information is stored behind the world's best firewall that has yet too to be breached.

What other parties do with your info is much less clear, which is where DTEK becomes extremely useful.
    10-23-16 03:23 PM
    You're just looking for something to blast BlackBerry for (again).

When moving to Android, one accepts Google, as one accepts Apple when moving to an iPhone.

Google is clear what they monitor and how they use it in its terms of service. No identifying info is provided to any 3rd party, and the information is stored behind the world's best firewall that has yet too to be breached.

What other parties do with your info is much less clear, which is where DTEK becomes extremely useful.
    No... when I was forced to move to Android, because chen refused to provide an updated phone that would work on my networks frequencies... I fully expected DTEK to be able to do what BlackBerry said.

There was NEVER any indication to believe DTEK could do nothing with Goggle apps. In fact quite the opposite would have been reasonable to expect from what was spouted.

But my bad... for falling for it once again... I really didn't want to give up on BlackBerry after 15 years... but dumb me... should have dropped em...
    10-23-16 10:33 PM
    No... when I was forced to move to Android, because chen refused to provide an updated phone that would work on my networks frequencies... I fully expected DTEK to be able to do what BlackBerry said.

There was NEVER any indication to believe DTEK could do nothing with Goggle apps. In fact quite the opposite would have been reasonable to expect from what was spouted.

But my bad... for falling for it once again... I really didn't want to give up on BlackBerry after 15 years... but dumb me... should have dropped em...
    But the fact is you KNOW what permissions Google uses. What more do you want DTEK to tell you? We know Google tracks location for directed advertising and info on nearby points of interest. We know Google tracks your browser traffic for the same reason. We know Google mines your email on the server side. We know Google uses your microphone for voice input. We know Google accesses your file system for reading and writing images, videos, and music.

So, again I ask, what more would you want DTEK to tell you?
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    10-23-16 11:40 PM
    But the fact is you KNOW what permissions Google uses. What more do you want DTEK to tell you? We know Google tracks location for directed advertising and info on nearby points of interest. We know Google tracks your browser traffic for the same reason. We know Google mines your email on the server side. We know Google uses your microphone for voice input. We know Google accesses your file system for reading and writing images, videos, and music.

So, again I ask, what more would you want DTEK to tell you?
    Well... that's a pretty good start on the list of reasons why no one should trust google. But I would also add that maybe folks ought'a read up on projects like that called "Hemisphere" by AT&T. Try googling that... and if it doesn't leave one in a cold sweat... then they aren't paying attention.

Now, back to DTEK. Here is a direct quote from BlackBerry's own web site about DTEK:
    Quote "DTEK™ from BlackBerry� for Android™ app will automatically monitor your OS and apps and let you know when your privacy could be at risk and how you can take action to improve it.
    DTEK also tracks your applications and notifies you when someone is: taking pictures or videos without your knowledge, turning your microphone on, sending a text message, or accessing your contacts or location." Unquote

Anyone that can read that and conclude that BlackBerry is being anything less than disingenuous... well... they're just drinking the cool-aid.

I try to teach my kids that when you purposely lead someone to the wrong conclusion... that is a lie just like any other lie.

And BlackBerry... you are lying!!
    10-26-16 03:46 PM
    Well... that's a pretty good start on the list of reasons why no one should trust google. But I would also add that maybe folks ought'a read up on projects like that called "Hemisphere" by AT&T. Try googling that... and if it doesn't leave one in a cold sweat... then they aren't paying attention.

Now, back to DTEK. Here is a direct quote from BlackBerry's own web site about DTEK:
    Quote "DTEK� from BlackBerry� for Android� app will automatically monitor your OS and apps and let you know when your privacy could be at risk and how you can take action to improve it.
    DTEK also tracks your applications and notifies you when someone is: taking pictures or videos without your knowledge, turning your microphone on, sending a text message, or accessing your contacts or location." Unquote

Anyone that can read that and conclude that BlackBerry is being anything less than disingenuous... well... they're just drinking the cool-aid.

I try to teach my kids that when you purposely lead someone to the wrong conclusion... that is a lie just like any other lie.

And BlackBerry... you are lying!!
    But you are ALREADY granting those permissions to Google and KNOW they are being used. DTEK can tell you nothing further about it. When you buy a google phone, you are being googled. When you buy an Apple, you are being appled. We already know this. We signed up for this. It's obvious.

However, if a flashlight app is suddenly reading my contacts, or recording audio - THAT'S what I want to know.
    10-26-16 05:49 PM
    But you are ALREADY granting those permissions to Google and KNOW they are being used. DTEK can tell you nothing further about it. When you buy a google phone, you are being googled. When you buy an Apple, you are being appled. We already know this. We signed up for this. It's obvious.

However, if a flashlight app is suddenly reading my contacts, or recording audio - THAT'S what I want to know.
    Go back and read the actual quote. Especially the part that says "... you can take action to improve it.. "

BlackBerry is very clearly implying that DTEK can control not only the underlying OS but ALL apps.

And that is simply NOT true.
    10-26-16 06:02 PM